AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty worst customers - 03/31/06 12:33 AM
how about a worst customer thread? maybe i should put it in chat but whatever. any contributions?

worst thing i did in a restaurant was pour hot coffee down the back of the neck of an 80 year old blind man. there were about 20 of them in a banquet, each with a boy scout as a helper.

i had 5 full pots of coffee in one hand, zooming by. he asked for something, i leaned over him just a bit.... and my back hand with the 5 pots tipped oh just a little....

oh and then once a friend working for me at kentucky fried chicken breaded up a chunk of filthy mop and cooked it and i sent it out as chicken to someone. i had no idea it looked like chicken they way he shaped it. thats pretty bad.
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 12:39 AM
Not to be picky Marty but doesn't this belong in the Chat section laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Marty Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 12:46 AM
hee hee hee i'm baaaaaad
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 01:00 AM
If you have me as a customer -make sure the beer is cold-the food is hot and well prepared-served by someone with half a brain who does not have B.O.-then the establishment might stand a chance of getting a good report from me-just does not happen very often-IMO anyone who puts up with crap food-warm beer-imbecilic waiters -lousy cooks-by saying Oh! they just do not know any better lets give him/her a bigger tip -these people should be shot
Posted By: Anonymous Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 01:03 AM
Peter - are you free for dinner next week?
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 01:15 AM
For you I will set my diary to one side and clear all pages
Posted By: Anonymous Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 01:18 AM
I'm almost speechless wink
Posted By: travelqueen Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 01:52 AM
lemme see... in my many many years in the service industry... I once worked in a coffee shop and the rat-women, yes, women like rats, would come in and were so incredibly rude to us. We would spit in their cappacino's... showed those wenches... but they kept comin' back for more!!!!!
Posted By: LBI Jerseyboy Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:08 AM
TQ, thanks!! Now I have to drink expresso's for now on... :p
Posted By: travelqueen Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:12 AM
Ha ha ha ha! LBI, be nice to ANYONE serving you drinks/food and no worries. Even if they're horrible. All smiles til you're done with the meal. Trust me. wink
Posted By: deacon+ Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:15 AM
At the age of 16 I was a busboy for IHOP. Will never eat in one.
Posted By: Belikin Bill Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:24 AM
I admit many years when in college and cooking at dennys a man send a steak back once. Then brought it back a second time himself and said it was not well done. The damn thing was almost burnt. He left, I threw it on the floor stomped and spit on it cooked it some more and sent it to him.

Moral of that story is never never [#%!] off the cook and if perhaps you do make sure its after your done eating. smile
Posted By: Gela Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:30 AM
OK Marty - touche laugh

Too funny. Glad you can enjoy the board as well.

Pedro1 - I second that. My Dad owned 2 restaurants in his lifetime and he would always "critique" food and service when we went out. I grew up with certain expectations and also was taught how to reward excellent service.

So Peter, are you free for dinner later this year?
Posted By: LBI Jerseyboy Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:37 AM
Oh I am nice during the meals. I will Kindly send something back if it's not cooked right. Just a couple of years ago, my brothers and I, and about 10 other guys, were on our yearly Vegas trip eating at Delmonico's (Emerall's place), when my steak came out medium well, instead of medium rare. They paid for my new medium rare steak, and the desserts were on the house for all. Normally, I would just eat the salad or apps, and not pay for the main course, but when you pay those kinda $$$ it is in the restaurants best interest to be informed of a problem. Speaking of Vegas, Viva Sunday Baby!!
Posted By: travelqueen Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:41 AM
BB, yep, worked at a steak rest. too. This is soooooooooooo gross............ we had waiters that would eat off the guests plates like a shrimp or the other half the steak that hadn't been eaten. I'd never!!!

"Food" for thought... when you send your food to the back to get boxed up, unclude the knike, fork or some type of untencil. How do you think they get the food in the box????? Dump it in? Not usually. I was always very careful and grabbed the persons fork so that I could use that as the scooper or to stab the steak.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:42 AM
LBI, that's good that you did send it back.

Have fun in Vegas!! Bet one hand in BJ for me, k? wink
Posted By: seashell Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:47 AM
OK, I'm confused. I thought this thread was about "worst customer" not "the horrible things we used to do to customers".

As a "worst customer", I once set my purse down at my feet, but under the edge of the table. Unbeknownst to me, the purse straps were laying out in the aisle. The server walked by, got tangled up in them, dropped everything all over the floor as she went crashing down herself, and severely sprained her ankle. After listening to you guys, I'm lucky that I'd already finished eating my lunch by then.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:59 AM
Ha ha ha ha! I'm so sorry SS! I could go on and on and on... but perhaps I better not. wink

Glad I didn't trip on your purse! wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 04:17 AM
Then there's the time some friends of mine got on a bus in Manchester, England. A "conductor" came around to collect fares. The four schoolboys had to pay 10d each (that was the old penny, 240 to £1, when £1 was quite a lot of money - a labourer was doing well if he earned £20 a week). The maximum legal tender in pennies was one shilling, 12d - above that amount the conductor wasn't obliged to accept. Old pennies were quite large and heavy.

One of the guys had a bag full of pennies from a gas meter at home, so offered 40d (for those nostalgic for English currency pre-1971, 3s 4d) for all their tickets. The conductor looked at the bulky & heavy pile of coins and refused to accept them. Quite within his legal rights, but not very helpful.

Our heroes thought for barely a split second, then distributed the 40d, 10d to each of them, and each separately proffered his 10d. The conductor accepted the first 10d with an easy grace, took the second with only slightly less enthusiasm, accepted the third with some reluctance, then balked at the fourth but finally took it anyway. When he had finished putting the last ten 1d coins in his leather money belt he stopped, looked the boys in the eye(s), and said "I suppose you think that's b****y clever?!".

The boys acknowledged that they thought it was.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 04:25 AM
Or there's the time that I accompanied my sister-in-law and her beagle into a pet shop to buy a new leash. She selected a lovely woven leather one and clipped it on the dog's collar. At some point the dog pulled away and the leash dropped onto the floor, still attached to the dog.

We looked around the shop and selected one or two more items to buy, then called the dog and headed for the checkout. Where there had been an attractive woven leather leash maybe 4 feet long there was now a stub no longer than 1 foot. The dog had chewed off the rest. The assistant at the checkout offered to get a replacement, but as we knew the owner of the shop we declined, paid up and left.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 04:35 AM
Or (and this is my last story, I promise) the occasion a few years ago when I and my ex-business partner were in Miami, a town he knew well but I didn't, for a diving trade show. We needed some brochures to distribute but had no means of generating or printing them. My colleague didn't hesitate - off he went in the rented car, returning an hour later with a laptop, a colour laser printer, and several reams of high grade paper. That afternoon and evening were spent designing & printing several hundred one page brochures.

The next couple of days were spent at the show. When on the third day we came to pack up and leave, I realised the laptop and printer were nowhere to be seen. My friend had taken them back to Office Depot, said they weren't suitable for our purposes and got a 100% refund, even on the paper that we'd used.

That's one reason he's my EX-business partner.
Posted By: Beachy Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 05:36 AM
No comment, I don't need Peter getting all in a huff eek eek eek

No, really, I know all the stories, but honestly, at the end of the day, those miserable fu%ks live a $hit existance without us server types bothering to say...grind up pot and put it in the tea bags.................... laugh
have a nice day, sir!
Posted By: seashell Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 05:49 AM
What are you saying, Beachy??

I'd like a cup of tea please.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 12:15 PM
Perhaps I shouldn't have complained, butI was in a hurry and I was eating in this open-air café when it started raining. I was pissed that it took me over an hour and a half to finish my soup.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 02:57 PM
Mr Malibu was in a restaurant in Corpus Christi, he was with my parents and a friend or two... He ordered pasta but told the waiter NO CRAB please. It came out with crab so he sent it back and said he would like a grilled cheese instead. Wrong thing to do: In short order all inside the restaurant heard the chef yelling "He wants WHAT?" and saw the plate fly across the kitchen and crash against the wall.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: worst customers - 03/31/06 03:43 PM
My old roommate ran a cafe in Minneapolis/St Paul... behind the counter hung a sign w/ their motto: "The customer's right when the customer's right." They also had a sign on the front door that read "push"... the front door, of course, pulled open... trust that, while sitting at the counter sipping hot coffee on a frigid MN winter day, watching someone lean against the door for a minute/two was never not funny!!!

Given Marty initiated this thread with the example of a restaurant, I'd suggest that you can divide restaurant patrons into two groups... those who have never themselves worked behind the lines of a restaurant and those who have... the latter almost always being less bothersome... not less "demanding" of quality food/service/overall experience mind you, just less petty/irrational/demeaning/etc...

We recently had a customer here who, upon arrival, while standing in the MIDST of our restaurant (waiters running about, patrons dining, pots and pans clanking, etc) impatiently asked "Can you tell me where the restaurant is?" "Uhm, well... let's see... I do believe that you might be standing in it." She quickly proved to be whacked outta her mind on 'something'... during the course of the night, among other things, she tried to wrest the ticket book from her waitress so she could write her own order, tried to climb behind our bar so that she could type on our computer and, with an open kitchen here, insisted upon grabbing her own order from the service counter to bring to her table... now that I think about it, perhaps we should have just employed her???
Posted By: silkpainter Re: worst customers - 04/01/06 01:51 AM
My worst customer

http://caribbean-colors.blogspot.com/2005/09/haul-yer-aaaazzz-biotch.html
Posted By: Anonymous Re: worst customers - 04/01/06 06:36 AM
Silk - that was quite funny!
Posted By: seashell Re: worst customers - 04/01/06 06:43 AM
OK, not a worst customer story, but one morning before hitting the ski hill, I was having brekkie with pals at Phil's Pancake House.

I had some sausages. I cut them up a piece at a time, as I ate. At one point, I looked down and there was *half* a fly on my plate.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: worst customers - 04/03/06 10:00 PM
Silk, very funny!!!
Posted By: reaper Re: worst customers - 04/03/06 10:55 PM
Years ago we were climbing to altitude in the twin otter at Perris Valley Skydiving. A guy in his late thirties was doing a first jump AFF. Not a tandem, but an instructor on each side to hold you stable and you wear your own gear.

This wanker brought his smokin' hot looking girlfriend to do a tandem and she was on the same flight.

The entire way up he was bragging about how much money he had made, where he traveled to, how he just bought a house in Beverly Hills and how he has tried everything adventerous in life and kicked it's ass. He even said if he liked jumping that he was athletic enough to become a world champion.

The group I was jumping with found this quite amusing and egged his conversation along. One jumper was a NASA astronaut, another the producer of the movie "point break", and Donnie Swayze, Patricks real ife skydiving bro'. Another was a world champion skydiver with over 12,000 skydives! All very humble folks and GREAT skydivers! We all found his arrogance very amusing.

As the plane leveled out and turned on jump run we all had enough of a good chuckle and slid the jump door open.

"Holy S@#t" the guy lets out! He looks down from 13,000 ft. and gets very red faced and scared looking. He finally shut up! We all chuckled to ourselves and climbed out and jumped.

Mr. "Been There Done That" completely chickened out! The plane did two go arounds while the two instructors calmed him...but he wouldn't jump! His girlfriend made her tandem jump, and one of the instructors with the wanker went out and flew along. The other instructor had to ride the plane down with Mr. Boyfriend.

When Ms. Cutie Pie landed she was ecstatic! She was hugging all of us and couldn't believe how much fun she just had.

Mr. Adventure was seen still shaken at the snack bar picnic table, mumbling about what a failure he was, and CRYING!!...the hottie was over hanging out with the instructors.

She ended up staying at the DZ that night to hang out with everyone...of course she started dating her tandem instructor! I think they ran off and got married.

No word on what ever happened to Mr. Cool. But I don't think he ever won a gold medal at the world skydiving meet! cool
Posted By: MALIBU Re: worst customers - 04/04/06 01:15 PM
Silk, you were SO very nice to give her your money back. I would not have done that at all. You are a cool cucumber! cool
Posted By: RMT Re: worst customers - 04/04/06 01:53 PM
Funny stuff. Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: worst customers - 04/08/06 04:15 AM
Great story, Reaper. Been there, seen it (lots of times), done it once or twice.

Reminds me of the girl who told me on the way up that she was afraid of heights and had never been in an aeroplane before. Yet here she was about to jump out by herself on a static line. Now THAT's guts!!
Posted By: Scuba do Re: worst customers - 04/08/06 11:49 AM
Good story,reaper
Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ Re: worst customers - 04/09/06 01:24 AM
YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE WORST CUSTOMERS UNTIL YOU'VE MANAGED THE LINGERIE DEPARTMENT IN A LARGE DEPARTMENT STORE. THE THINGS I'VE SEEN ARE SO GROSS I CAN'T EVEN PRINT ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. WOMEN ARE PIGS IN THE DRESSING ROOMS.
Posted By: seashell Re: worst customers - 04/09/06 01:40 AM
I understand it is upsetting but please don't yell.
Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ Re: worst customers - 04/09/06 01:44 AM
Was I yelling? I'll try to use my inside voice from now on. LOL Luckily I don't have to deal with that any more.
Posted By: seashell Re: worst customers - 04/09/06 01:49 AM
Inside voice, smile
Posted By: Placidguy Re: worst customers - 04/10/06 06:05 PM
hehe- I worked with a waiter that would run out the back door of the restaurant and pelt yer car with eggs if you left him a bad tip.....
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board