AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous snow... snow... snow... - 01/03/02 04:52 PM
There's not supposed to be snow in South Georgia!!!! But yet... (at least we don't have 7 feet like my Buffalo friends!)
The official countdown is on... 4 more days!!
Hope you all are staying warm!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/03/02 07:15 PM
vicki - it hasn't even snowed here yet!! you really have snow?? we have had the strangest weather here for a year, but no complaints.

have a terrific trip, and we will try for next time. maybe april/may?
Posted By: Grace Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 05:02 PM
WE got about 6 inches just north of Atlanta, and there's plenty on the ground still! Hope to get to AC soooooon!!!!!
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 05:41 PM
hi to all you snowbunnies out there!!! i grew up in pa which means i was knee deep for 6 months out of the year. someone pleeeeeaaaaase make me a snow angel for old time sake. quite frankly i prefer sandfleas to snowbunnies now. the tx gulf coast suits me fine til i can call ac home. i could take about 5 minutes of snowflakes right now tho. it can be quite beautiful. 5 minutes it plenty according to my sister in erie, she just loaded up the motorhome for 6 wks in florida. what a life!!! remember - watch out where the eskimo go - don't you eat that yellow snow. (sorry, i was a kid when i lived up there).
gay
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 06:04 PM
gay, i probably shouldn't jinx it, but we have not had one flake in SE PA (i am 1.5 hrs n of phila). a friend in erie said they got 3 feet last week but we are many hours away from there.

skies here are clear as can be, and in november we were wearing only t-shirts. at least it finally got cold. weird.

i am looking at 'our' big red-tailed hawk outside my window sitting in a tree. just took a photo. yesterday, i saw him fly past close up with a squirrel in his talons. so cool.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 07:51 PM
jane, i guess the se is getting your snow. i don't think i could take it again. i was born in dubois & moved to warren shortly after. it is a beautiful place to visit. i left for tx 22 yrs ago. are you a birder? i spend my spare time birding. (pls do not confuse me with jane hathaway-oh god this may show my age). when you do get your snow i will see your hawk flying this way. stay warm for now.
gay
Posted By: Mike and Daphne Ryan Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 08:36 PM
Well, we haven't had any snow in a while, but it's been above freezing only a few hours the last week. On our way to work we saw that the Charles River was frozen over this morning, all the way to the Longfellow Bridge. Just some free water surface under the bridges.

We can't wait to get down there in Feb. A little more than a month to go.

Mike Ryan
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 09:15 PM
gay, i can't really say i am a 'birder'. like most things i do, i am just a casual hobbiest. you know, master of none.

i greatly enjoy my birds here, tho. i have had feeders for maybe 10 years. at my old house, mostly for the fat, obnoxious 'city' squirrels. here, at this house, i am much more in the country, more forest around. the squirrels are just normal, and in great fear of those hawks! they don't come out much.

the hawks are my favorite, and we get many golden eagles as well, but the backyard is mostly jays, chickadees, doves, cardinals, etc. last week the birdbath/fountain froze solid, and would not thaw. we had to unplug it.

if you are an enthusiast, give me your email and i'll send you the hawk photo.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 09:57 PM
jane, snow & ice, ice & snow, it's starting to shiver my timbers. you can e me at [email protected]. thx so much.
gay
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 10:40 PM
done!
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 10:50 PM
Jane... it hasn't snowed back home yet?? I LOVE snow.. the sidewalk shoveling, playing the old try to find the buried car game... and don't forget driving up and down the Schuykill... geez, did I even spell that right? I need to get back and re-learn everything.

And to think I was just sitting here thinking about actually moving back to the Philly area and leave this God forsaken, sunny, hot, air conditioned place they call Texas...

LOL

[This message has been edited by Denny Shane (edited 01-04-2002).]
Posted By: lmarquis Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/04/02 11:47 PM
We had 17 days of soaking rain in December here in No. Calif. Never saw the sun once over the New Year's weekend. Very cold and wet. Tons of snow just up the hill in Lake Tahoe and Reno! Maybe I will head up there - I can hear the "ching - ching of the slot machines calling!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/05/02 02:57 AM
LOL denny! you forget, i don't live in kensington, i live in doylestown! it is magnificent here when it snows. and every one else's car's are dry in their 2-car garages. (we are too messy, can't even fit one in).

and i don't work...it isn't like i need to ever leave the house anyway!
Posted By: denverdan Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/05/02 03:44 AM
Jane... don't forget your deer!! Too pretty!

Denny... your more than welcome to come my house and shovel! smile... really, anytime.

Laurie... don't go to Reno... we went to Vegas at "turkey time" and lost big time! lol Have a really GREAT time in San Pedro in May! Sure wish we could make it...

4 DAYS ibanole... LUCKY YOU!
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/05/02 05:14 PM
Wow... an invite to come and shovel your snow.... you are way too kind. Let me figure out when I am free and I will call you. Hmmm don't seem to have your number... that's ok, don't give it to me, let me keep looking.

and Jane dear... I'm not from Kensington... I am from FISHTOWN, Girard exit off 95. I use to go sluming in Kensington... lol actually I use to slum in Fishtown also.
Posted By: Rhon Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/05/02 05:26 PM
Hi JaneinPa...

Was kind of curious where you lived in Pa. and now I see Doylestown. Nice area! I live in the Pocono's myself and you are right we have not had much <any> snow! They were talking a storm tomorrow but now it looks like it is going to pass right on by. My six year old is highly annoyed. When is your next trip to AC? We will be down Feb. 15 to March 2nd. It's been two years. Cannot wait! A funny story...our last <first> trip we had been there only two days and having dinner at Fido's. I see my husband staring at someone across the room....it was someone he knew from his gym!! Neither knew the other would be there!!! Small world. It was my first time meeting him and I had to go to San Pedro to do it. 6 weeks and counting... [Linked Image] Rhonda
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/05/02 05:41 PM
hi rhonda! i have lived in PA all my life. my kids are right around yours, 5 & 7.

last week, hubby took them up to alpine to snowtube, it is near e. stoudsburg. is that near you? or we go to knoebel's in the summer. is that?

when we went to AC 8/00, we met a couple on the water taxi who had lived down the street from our old house. knew exactly where it was. yep. life is funny.

hope - interesting - the deer do not come in winter, only early spring & late fall. yesterday i took a great photo of a red-tailed hawk out front of my house.
Posted By: Rhon Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/05/02 11:05 PM
Hi Jane,

Yes, Alpine is right here! Never been there though...isn't that typical! Right around the corner and have never been. Yes, I know Knoebles well although it's not too close for us about and 1 hour and a half. A great place for the kids! I see you said you don't get deer this time of year? I see them constantly here all year long. They eat all our shrubbery this time of year. I see you are trying for a party for the board in April. Wish we could make that one but we will be there earlier as stated. Staying at the Mayan Princess as we did before. Everyone was very nice to us there. Ok I need to get a life because I am addicted to this board!! Hey, do you know what restaurant is in the place where Rasta Pasta is? Is it an Italian one I hear? Do you know the name? How about Rasta Rythmns, what is there now? Can anyone tell me? Thanks ...Rhonda
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/06/02 04:47 AM
Rhonda,
Much has happened to the Rasta world since your last visit.

Marilyn and Albert left San Pedro right before Hurricane Keith hit....moved to Placencia.

The empty building at the end of Front St. was taken over after the hurricane to house about 10 families that were left homeless.
A group from the Bahamas came in to help....and they partitioned off the building into separate rooms....upstairs and downstairs.
There was an unfortuante accident with a gas cookstove that started in the upstairs and the building was destroyed in the fire.

It sat for a long time until someone finally bought it and tore it down....to the ground.

Marilyn and Albert lost all they had in this last hurricane (Iris)....and unfortunately Albert took his life after this devastating event. Marilyn is now in Belize City last I heard.

One family should never have to endure this much heartache. [Linked Image]

Sad...TOO sad....
Posted By: Rhon Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/06/02 04:36 PM
Thank you for the info Sandshaker,

I had heard of the sad news regarding Albert and Marilyn. I remember meeting her a few times during our last stay and found her very nice. We had enjoyed eating there and wondered if there was another good restaurant at that location now.
Can't wait to return to SP....6 weeks... Rhonda
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/06/02 06:11 PM
rhon, i'll make you feel better FAST! i've been addicted here for almost 2 years now. check my profile and laugh at my # of posts!

i am the one who should be embarrassed!
Posted By: Rhon Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/06/02 06:58 PM
Ooooooo Jane get off that computer NOW girl!!!!
Haaaaa....Rhonda
Posted By: skullyboy Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/07/02 05:49 AM
snow, plenty snow and plenty cold here in salt lake. i guess we`ll have enough for the olympics. which is good news we were worried about it. record snow falls last two months
Posted By: Rhon Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/07/02 03:41 PM
Finally getting some snow here in the Pocono's of Pa. I guess 5 inches down and still falling. Looks really pretty. JaneinPa did you get any there? Or just rain?

[This message has been edited by Rhon (edited 01-07-2002).]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/07/02 05:09 PM
ah, so nice to know you care!

sunday afternoon we got the mix. then it turned to snow, but we got less than an inch.

it was enuff to aapease my daughter, tho, who was very excited to wear her new purple sparkly snow boots to school. and the yard has just enuff white to look pretty.

the birds are flapping all around the feeder this morning. frank got up at 5:30 (normal time) but went into work late; and i actually saw naked footprints outside the hot tub. i believe after his work-out, he took a snowy soak!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/07/02 07:12 PM
it is now a few hours later, and it is still snowing. i wnet to home depot and got a new shovel, so i shoveled a bit. i still think we haven't more than an inch. it looks pretty out my window. i bought a new birdfeeder too. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rhon Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/07/02 08:50 PM
Yes, still snowing here too Jane. My husband and son are out with the snow blower as we speak. A nice day to stay in and post messages on the AC message board. So tell me what are you favorite rstaurants in SP Jane? It's been two years for me so I know things have changed. I will probably get some flak for this but I didn't really like Elvi's the last time we were there. Everyone else seems to. It struck me as way too touristy, wrap something in a banana leaf and we have authentic mayan food. What do you think?
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/07/02 10:36 PM
I kinda agree Rhon... but the tourist love that kinda stuff. Me personally, I would prefer something much more authentic and I'll go miles out of my way to get it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/08/02 02:31 AM
since i was up north this time, i didn't eat in town too much, mostly at JE. (frank dove twice every day & was too tired for nighttime adventures). the vampire-skeeters kept us close to shelter as well.

i liked rendezvous a lot, but it is far from authentic mayan! it is french-thai. but awesome. we ate there twice.

if you are taking a poll, everyone else seems to like jambel jerk and sweet basil. capricorn for fancy. and then there's always bc's bbq. the fish there was messy & yummy.
Posted By: Over_40_Pirate Re: snow... snow... snow... - 01/08/02 06:47 PM
Janie...you hit the best eateries right-on...but don't forget Papi's diner! Excellent!
You poor schmucks in the eastern flatlands...I haven't even dusted off the snow shovel yet, but I'll be pulling the motorcycle out today, as it is expected to hit near 70 degrees in Denver today!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board