AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Chloe Susangg's Xaloc - 06/14/02 02:29 AM
Susan, I have really enjoyed reading the daily chronicle on Xaloc. Feel as if I know Izzy and the crew. Alot of positive thoughts are with them in their sailing adventure. I keep checking the weather map with them. Hope they have rounded Cuba and missed all the storms. Keep the good news coming to us.
Posted By: Wendy Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/14/02 03:04 AM
Chloe or Susan, could you post the url again?
Thanks
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/14/02 03:12 AM
Wendy there is no URL yet...so far its just an email distribution list, though I do plan to set up a web site. You are getting them daily because you are on the bz-culture listserv and the listserv is on the distribution list.
Haven't you been getting them?
Posted By: Lakerboy44 Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/14/02 03:34 AM
Wendy drop me a line and let me know how you are and where you are. Peace to you. Dios le bendiga.
Posted By: Lakerboy44 Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/14/02 03:36 AM
Oops [email protected]
In Costa Rica.
Posted By: munichchick Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/14/02 11:05 PM
Izzy and Team are sure eating well and I love those Mojito's! It sounds like they are having fun on their voyage.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/15/02 12:52 AM
Just MHO, I think Izzy and crew are enjoying lobster and Cuban rum, and are in no hurry to leave Cuba........LOL.
Posted By: Marty Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/15/02 02:18 AM
susan, i'm going thru my old email, i want to chain them to gether to make a story. are you keeping them in one spot? I'd be glad to post them on a URL that you could refer folks to also...
Posted By: Marty Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/15/02 02:20 AM
maybe add pics to it later....
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/15/02 04:03 AM
Marty, that would be be great if you did that...I am planning to set up a web page, even got a free site at lycos but its been so long since I did the html thing I am stymied by how to set up the damn frames page....and I'm not sure I will have time to figure it out by Sunday night...leaving at 3 AM Monday morning. I have a lot of last minute work stuff and bill paying to do before I go, not to mention buying cat supplies, touching base with the cat sitter and spending quality time with my four (tear) meowy cats.
So if you want to post them on a page, please do!

I can send you the Word doc that has all of them in one place if you want. You've been getting them from the bz-culture list but I do have them all in one Word 2000 file if that's easier.
Thank you!
Posted By: Chloe Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/15/02 02:40 PM
Weather looks great today for sailing, Cpt. Izzy has no excuse for not leaving the coast of Cuba now, and head to San Pedro.
Just kidding here, sounds like Cuba has been fun for the crew.
Posted By: Marty Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/15/02 02:43 PM
ok, here tis...
//AmbergrisCaye.com/xaloc
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/18/02 11:43 PM
For those of you who are wondering what happened to Xaloc: It and its crew are alive and well, although a bit wet (the weatherman lied!), and almost to Cozumel. Because I am now in San Pedro, I am not emailing them any more, but they will be sent to Marty for posting at //www.ambergriscaye.com/xaloc
I just sent Episode 19 and should be posted soon, depending on Marty's schedule.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/19/02 12:54 AM
Thank you Susan for the update, glad they are doing well. Some of us were worried too.
Posted By: BankerWoman Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/19/02 05:57 PM
Yup, I was welded, too. Next time Captain Izzy could probably finance his trip by making the journal pay-for-read on this board. (I'll bet Marty could even figure out how to do it...what a computer guy!) Can't wait to read #19 and #20 and so on and so on. Sail on Xaloc. Get to AC before the lobsters be only a memory.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/19/02 08:06 PM
That dang satellite imager today is showing weather to be rough, hope it is wrong, and the weather is great for their sailing.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/21/02 04:39 PM
i find this sooooooo awesome. i have never had the opportunity to do anything like this trip. yes, i have had a sheltered life!!!
gay
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/22/02 03:36 AM
Just sent Marty Episode 21....Sorry if youre not getting emails but I didn't bring the list and its too hard to send mass emails using the internet cafe...just go to //www.ambergriscaye.com/xaloc/
Posted By: seashell Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/22/02 09:34 AM
Wow, Susan!! Are they having fun yet?! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Chloe Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/22/02 02:45 PM
Good that they are on their last leg of the trip. But I will miss reading of their adventure. It has been better reading than watching TV shows, Survivor and Mole.
Wish I could be on the dock to welcome them home. Thanks
Posted By: patrick-e Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/23/02 11:55 PM
Susangg, The log of Izzy and crew's voyage from NC to San Pedro has been exiting to read and follow. While their trip to AC is nearly over, they will retain a wealth of memories of this wonderful experience. Can't wait to hear the final chapter of this saga! Praying for great weather until they arrive. And Marty, thanks for posting the log to the website and making this all possible.

Patrick-e
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/24/02 02:37 AM
Since its Sunday and Marty may actually be taking a break from this board (if such a thing is possible!) here is Episode 22....Arrival should be Monday afternoon. Anybody in San Pedro now who wants to come to the customs clearance arrival dock (supposedly near the Belize Yacht Club) and cheer, feel free! You can phone me at 226-3592 and I'll give you the current ETA but we expect them to arrive around 3 or 4 PM. After clearance, Xaloc will dock at the Sol Caribe dive shop dock (Eduardo Brown's place).

Here's #22:XALOC CHRONICLES
Episode 22 - "REALLY almost there!"
June 22-23 Cozumel to Majawal

Saturday morning, Xaloc departs Cozumel at around 6 AM. A half hour out,
another fan belt bites the dust; Izzy whips out one of the spares and puts it
on. As Xaloc moves Southwest towards the mainland, weather picks up and
thunde, wind gusts and lightning make its now predictable appearance. The
second small sail is the next to go; but the mainsail is in good shape and
should get Xaloc home.

Oops! It looks like one of the water tanks got contaminated with sea
water.....well, there's plenty of water in the other tank...err...scratch that
idea! The other tank seems to be contaminated too! Luckily there are two
large water bottles still full, so there should be plenty of drinking water for
the crew until they get to the next port town. Right about now, the captain
wishes he had listened to his wife and taken the extra time to finish
installing the water maker! But if the weather continues in its present vein,
there will be plenty of rainwater to drink. Xaloc progresses about 80 miles
before anchoring for the night.

Sunday morning, the crew departs about 6 AM. The marine head is now added to
the "it don't work" list. Izzy guesses that this problem, like the
refrigerator failure, is the result of the flooding. Shit happens! Xaloc
passes the Chinchorro Reef; based on advice from Eduardo, Izzy decides to pull
into Majawal to pick up water and some provisions to supplement the fish caught
today. On the way in, the wind vane finally comes off and lands on deck near
Izzy's head.

The plan is to leave at dawn. Xaclak is about 35 miles away and from there,
its another 25 or so miles to San Pedro. It looks like Xaloc will be pulling
into San Pedro just in time to catch the customs agent before he closes up for
the day, probably around 3-4 PM. Izzy promises to call a couple of hours
before anticipated arrival time, and we will caravan out to the clear in dock
to greet captain and crew with well deserved cheers.
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/24/02 05:18 PM
Xaloc's arrival is postponed due to really bad weather over the last stretch of sail between Majawal and San Pedro. 24-48 hour report is bad. It looks like they will have to spend another night in Majawal, and will leave, if there's a break in the weather, early tomorrow AM or as soon thereafter as possible.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/24/02 05:50 PM
Susangg, they will certainly need some grande welcomes when they make the final destination. What an exhausting trip it has been, even for us readers.

Darned weather !
Patience is definately needed for just a few more hours.
Posted By: denverdan Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/24/02 06:07 PM
FINALLY had time to read these journal entries... WOW thanks for sharing Susan, you're a really great writer! Felt like I was right there with them while reading...
Ya better have a GRAND reception for them upon arrival, sounds like they need and deserve some R&R! Keep us posted on the last leg...
Many thanks!
Hope
Posted By: Chloe Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/25/02 06:36 PM
Susan
Have they arrived?
Hope so, and that all of you are still celebrating.
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/25/02 11:16 PM
Nope, Mexican coast guard advised against leaving the cove this AM as of 6:30 AM, they were waiting for a good weather window to leave. It calmed down here, so I hope they left and at least made it to Xcalak, in which case they would arrive tomorrow AM. There's a tropical wave heading for Belize, hope it stays south.
Posted By: susangg Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/28/02 02:59 AM
I forgot to add: He fixed the toilet!!!XALOC CHRONICLES, Episode 23
June 26 - Majawal to San Pedro Town - "We're Here!"

After an anxious day of weather-watching and warnings from the Mexican Coast Guard, Captain Izzymon looks at the weather fax, the sky and the wind, and decides its time to go. At 7:30 on Wednesday morning, June 26, Xaloc pulls out of the lovely resort town of Majawal, Mexico and sets sail for San Pedro Town, approximately 60 miles to the South.
The previous day was not a total waste, because Izzy and Gerry were able to repair the jib sail and its up.

The winds are running around 15-20 knots and the waves are running 6-10 feet; the larger ones are breaking over the bow, but Xaloc is making good time even though the mainsail has been reefed because of the breaking waves. They pass Xcalak at around 11:45 AM; Izzy calls to tell me that they expect to get to San Pedro before 5 PM.

The plan has been to go inside the reef at the first cut after Rocky Point, but the waves are so high that Izzy decides its too risky to try to enter the narrow channel. Instead Xaloc will continue outside the reef and enter at the San Pedro Cut, which is much wider. I call Customs and alert them to Xaloc's arrival; the customs agent advises me that the boat should dock at the Belize Yacht Club and call him when it arrives for clear-in.

At 4:15, Roberto Smith of the Winnie Estelle knocks on the door and tells me that he's spotted a catamaran taking down its sails just offshore. Chas has already left with her friend Kilolo and I pile into the golf cart with George and JoAnne. When we get there, we see Xaloc anchored a few hundred yards to the north; George calls Izzy on the radio and tells him to dock at the Belize Yacht Club. A few minutes later, a small crowd of family and friends greet the returning sailors. Mission accomplished -- now its time to party!
Posted By: denverdan Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/28/02 03:09 AM
COOL!!! WOW.. COOL!!! and all are well!!!
Have a great party with them Susan!
They AND you deserve it!!
hmmm, when do you continue to Panama and WHO be goin on that trip? ;-)
Great news!
Sincerely,
Hope
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/28/02 03:53 AM
dammit! i have been wanting to take the time to read this all week. believe it or not, i'm only on 20 minutes here & there.

tomorrow, i will print this out and read it already!

looks like i know the ending...congratulations are to be said.

mozel tov, izzy & co.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/28/02 04:23 AM
there must be a path beat to that PC Jane. LOL....it just seems you are there more. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NYgal Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/28/02 04:28 AM
Oh Yes Susan..........Hurrah, he/they made it safely. There were some worries but I'm so glad to read he's there.
Party !
Posted By: Chloe Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/28/02 04:29 AM
ALL is Well that ends Well.....thanks Susan.
Posted By: KJ Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 06/30/02 02:41 AM
Susangg and Xaloc Crew

Glad to here all safe and sound in San Pedro. We learnt allot from these cronicles Susan for our cruising 10 years and counting down. Thank you again for keeping us all in touch with your experience.

When you head down to Panama will you be giving updates? Love to hear it if its not to much of a chore.

Kathie
Posted By: munichchick Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 07/01/02 06:17 PM
I would also love to read cruising reports on your next leg of the journey to Panama. It was sure great reading your well written reports and following the crew in thoughts. How exciting. I bet you had a fun party when they arrived.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Susangg's Xaloc - 07/10/02 06:55 PM
a goodie
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board