AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: JMS What do I need to know (and who) when visiting? - 06/24/03 02:18 AM
When I finally make it down to Belize or Ambergris Caye, what does a new visitor need to know as far as lodging, night life, etc.? I would probably be traveling alone. Are the residents and "regulars" open to outsiders?
"outsiders" are immediately ensconced in codpieces (or chasity belts), wrapped in left-over purple Moongoddess T-shirts, stuffed into Ziplocks and dumped in Shark Ray Alley. Less fortunate ones are sent off to Satan
KLC, Whats your phone # ?

E!
Thank you so much klcman for the warning. No codpieces for me wink
Satan is not a worry for me - he's pretty harmless (I assume you are talking of immissing). He has been very helpful so far, although a sh*&head on one response.
JMS, do a search on Satan.......surprise surprise.
That last responce resembles me and I take preference to it. I am not Satan, he is a big ole crock that waits for cocpeices or what ever. AND I am not a S#$^& head, just me, take me or leave me.
First and foremost, and take this with a light hearted response, I don't believe in Satan. And Immissing I am referring to your response when you told me to "get a life". I am sincerely looking for that F*&%$#@& shirt as it has come between a friendship that I value. I suppose I shouldn't care so much, but I do. And having said that, I have come to value the freinds I am making on this message board as well. So, maybe it was meant to be.
Not to get too philosophical here... but true friendship transends material objects such as a T Shirt that fades in time and ends up in the trash. A real friend never fades and certainly don't end up as garbage.

If this T Shirt has come between you and your friend and they have stopped talking to you... guess what? They were never a true friend afterall.
JMS: I have traveled alone on all three visits to AC and have had the time of my life. The locals are very friendly, the tourists you will meet are great (for the most part!). No problem, mon. Thank goodness I have never seen a live codpiece on AC or anywhere else, but I wasn't looking in the bottom of pools! hee hee
like laurie, i am posting you seriously.

chloe meant a search on this board...satan is the local biggest croc that lives down south of town. she was not teasing you. (lighten up, we are a nice group who is just a little perstered by someone constantly throwing a tshirt in our threads)

i travelled there alone, and EVERYONE ON THIS ISLE IS NICE. well, most are. if you go with a smile & not with attitude, you will be fine. any bar welcomes anyone. you can NOT not have a great time on AC (only my husband is capable of not enjoying it).

go, and have fun, and for heaven sake, give up on that ridiculous tshirt. my fave shirt anyway is the bz paramedics one i got last yr...anyone seen it??? funny on the back.
Jane----Very few people notice the back of a t-shirt...... wink laugh
Darn, Jane told.

Wanted to see how many more guesses she would make on Satan, before she did the Search. wink

Searching house might also find the shirt. :rolleyes:

Thought JMS should read on her own, to learn more about people and Ambergris creatures. JMS' profile shows reading is one of her interest. laugh
Nice try Chloe. JMS's thinking and interpretation is very literal, which permits the thread to propagate.
She also likes to walk. Not too many better places to do that than SP. She should do a search or read back a few months on the threads in the About Ambergris Caye section. And I mean that literally.
hey chloe. while u are right (as always), i figure, like the rest of us, she will just have to go. then upon return (like us) be jonesing to return will WANT to learn all those things we questioned before our 2nd visit! wink
Just having fun here with you Jane.

Immissing posted.....Ole Crock, great clue, that JMS overlooked.
WOW! You have checked me out, I'm flattered. Yes, I like to read (two books going right now), I'm a single mom and have a german shepherd, I work 45 - 50 per week, and I squeeze in a walk every chance I get. Plus I've playing around on this message board for a while now so haven't had a lot of time to do any serious research on Belize. When I get ready to go I will though smile

It does appear that everyone is friendly, and I'm sure I could not NOT have a good time. I am really looking forward to that trip!

One last thing about the shirt: if one of my friends lost something of mine that I valued because of the memories it held, I would be upset too so I completely understand why he is not happy with me at the moment. He has not written me off as a friend because as was mentioned, that is not a true friend anyway. That's the last I will mention it. Please no snotty remarks wink
just one snotty(?) comment...if i had $5 for every t=shirt i loved that a friend/relative ruined/lost...i'd be a hundred-aire!!!

go & get him the paramedics shirt. no nudity on it, but will make him smile. tell him to lighten up too. life is too serious to care about dumb stuff. as always, JMHO!
Not-So-Sweet Jane (after all that "living on reds, vitamin C and cocaine" have taken their toll).
JMS Hope you get to come down in the next year. I find everyone friendly and open. If my husband did not want to go I would certainly go alone or with a girl friend. It is a VERY relaxing place even for us high strung folks. Although there are things to do I don't seem to want to fill up my days while I am there. I met one fellow who had vacationed on AC every year for 15yrs. He said he was always going to go to the main land but just never does. I am a total slug while there. From all you have on your plate sounds like you could use a rest too. smile
JMS----Your problem is solved....Take your "friend" to AC & Buy him a DAMN SHIRT>>>>>>
You get a vacation, he gets a shirt & you live happily ever after!!!QQQQ> JMOP
LMAO @ johnboy. ha ha ha haha! really, let him get his own darn shirt, and dont lend it out anymore!

seriously, my husband didnt want to go, so i went alone last week. luckily i had friends there, but it is easy to make new ones. just smile & start talking to someone.
Actually I'm looking forward to going alone then I don't have to wait on or rely on someone else, and I never have problems meeting people or making friends. Sounds like the right place for me!

I was inquiring more about places to go that you who are familiar with Belize/Ambergris Caye would recommend. Of course I will do my own research, but it's nice to get recommendations from others too.
Jane, my hubby doesn't like SP either! He hates fun! Fortunately he does like Cayo or he'd be EX-Mr. Barb's Belize.
JMS....don't believe in "Satan" myself!! But have seen the CROC up close and personal!!! HIM I believe in!!! And in agreement about "friends"....no shirt would/could or will come between mine!!! They wouldn't even be upset with me!!! Material things are of no importance....any "memories he/she has will always be in their laugh head or hearts.....C
oops...yes, use this board and the "site" for answers...when you narrow it down..AC or just inside Belize, then ask specific questions...we will all be more than happy to help!!! WHERE do you want to spend most of your time?? On an island, in the jungle??? What is your budget?? How much time do you have to spend??? What are your favorite things to do?? Water, land, hiking, biking, diving, repelling, cave tubing??? PLAN your priorities and we'll be able to help much better!!! BUt USE THIS SITE/BOARD to find MOST of your answers, as we all have "different" likes!! You will be "touched" no matter where, what, who you decide to do it with!!! C ( just returned from our 12th trip)!!
Hey RickCheri, I'm glad we're on the same page. Not many others seem to see my perspective here. The advice that I've been given is to "fergit 'bout it, it's just a freaking shirt". The thing is this - he bought it while he was there in Belize and from what I have heard, everyone LOVES going there. So naturally I'm thinking this is a special shirt to him and I f*&#@% up by losing it. I said I wouldn't mention it again, but since you brought it up I feel I should respond. Looks like a vacation for me unless one good soul comes through for me. Regardless, I have to visit now that I've gotten to know some of you. Plus, God knows I need a vacation!!!
I like lounging around in the sun during the day sipping cocktails, for a day or two anyway. Then I'd like to do some sight seeing and shopping - the usual tourist stuff. Then I'd like to get down to what the real deal is. I don't want to be seen as a tourist. I live in a tourist town, and to be honest, we locals sometimes don't appreciate their careless use of our beautiful area. That is why I'd like to know what non-tourists do. Here we have "locals" hangouts. Those are the places I'd like to visit. Of course, I'd like to try some of the other stuff too, and suck up as much as possible.
JMS...don't get me wrong.....forget the shirt....his/her memories will always be there!!! Do your "searches" before you go!! Belize has many wonderful gifts that CANNOt be seen in one trip....unless ya have a LONG time!! Rick and I NEVER do the "tourist" thing when traveling!! Email us after you've done some research and we'l hook you up!!! Many Blessings to you!! And my advice---STOP LOOKING for that shirt and it might just show up!!! C wink :p
You know, I think after all this, you are right. I'm taking your advice. I hope you will hook me up as I don't want to stand out as a tourist.
By the way, is it common to wish "many blessings" to a friend or loved one? I have seen that often on this message board.
random thought - since none of us seems to ever recall seeing a shirt like that, maybe, just maybe it did not originate in BZ......several other places a Mayan Goddess T could have been found......nekkid goddesses remind me more of Cancun than BZ, for sure. Ever seen a nekkid lady on a jade tablet?

IM - you want my number? it can be found fairly easily. wink
Not only is it common..but GREAT to wish us ALL BLESSINGS!!! No one on here doesn't deserve it!!! GREAT BLESSINGS TO US ALL!!! I believe Rick and I will see ALL OF YOU on AC or in BZ at one time or another!!! And remember JMS....no T-shirt in the WORLD could come between true friends!!! It's only "material? and you can't take it "with you">.....But memories you CAN!!! ONE LOVE---C laugh
Forgive me Boarders........Chloe is going to be bad.

If she mentions PHR#3, I am going over the wall.
Don't think I will be alone, either.

:rolleyes: eek wink
JMS: But, you will be a tourist. Go and enjoy. Who cares? The island is small, you can run, but you cannot hide! Just kidding. Really, they love tourists. And tourists like the locals. Good mix.
LMAO@Chloe. Too funny, I was thinking the same thing the other day. haha.
The locals must be a better group of people than we are here. While we want and need their money for our economy, a lot of us would rather not have them here. Of course not all the tourists who come here are rude and obnxious, a lot of them are. They leave their garbage where ever they are, are often drunken fools who give those working in the service industry a hard time, and complain too much if they have to wait or can't have everything their way. We are about to go into the busiest week of the summer here, and a lot of the locals leave because of it. I understand why foreigners think Americans are jerks. Good to hear we are welcomed in Belize and on the island.
Chloe!!! after catching up on all the reading in here, I have to admit the same thought crossed my mind! Gawd almighty, that thought gave me chills. frown
JMS. Mind your manners and you will do excellently. Respect and consideration in AC seems to have a greater return than anywhere else I have been. Don't worry about being tagged as a tourist. Our last trip there, first morning breakfast at Estels, we sat next to 3 young locals obviously coming off a night of partying and we were slightly intimidated. We did strike up a conversation, and the one guy did remember us from the year before, he had been our waiter at the Reef a few nights. We don't remember waiters, but apparently he remembered tourists.
Yeah, there are a lot of ugly Americans floating around, but AC is small enough where they get remembered, and the non-uglies get remembered also. We aren't all painted with the same brush.
A little tale here. About ten years ago we spent a week in an all inclusive in the Dominican. Beautiful place. People from all over the world. One contingent from an unnamed central European country seemed to be more annoying to everyone. There must have been about 30 of them, different ages and backgrounds, not in the same party, but all from the same country. They were all loud, obnoxious, and extremely rude. If there was a line, no matter how short, in the dining area, any of them would walk right to the head without even a guilty glance at those waiting. I even saw one of them take a plate from a person waiting to be served. We did make a tour one day, and the bus had to stop at another resort catering mainly to the citizens of this country, to pick up a few people. Groans throughout the bus. The people who got on were a family of Brits, and they looked at the rest of us and said loudly "Americans, thank God. Get us the hell out of here for the day."
Everything is relative, we are just more sensitive to the antics of our own countrymen.
another taboo is vomiting in the street, unless, of course, the dust is really bad.
dog, I agree... vomiting in the streets is a major NO-NO.... however, always looking for the positive aspect of things, looking at someone vomiting would prompt me to ask them where they ate... then I would skip that place. eek
JMS-------- Just remember the Belize slogan !!!
No Shoes
No SHIRT
No Problem

& You will be O.K.
jms, this place is soooo small, no way you will not be marked as a tourist, unless u r real dark skinned with black hair, and on the short side. deal with it. like i said, whoever was next to me, we talked. the security guy from corozol, the maid from orange walk, ex-pats, the owners of small businesses. both tourist places & local places overlap, it is that small. have a smile and you'll do fine. leave your good clothes & jewelry at home. no need.

apparently the only folks who do not enjoy AC are barb's & my husband, and some "divas". shopping is pretty limited to 4-5 tshirt shops & local jewelery, so GOOD LUCK spending a whole day doing that. i will mention that i usually shop upon exit at the airport, selection & prices are often better, believe it or not. most littler i see is from the locals, i think the ourists there are pretty good about it.

word of the day there is chillin'. and a night go find a barstool to fall off. can't sneeze down there without passing one. remember to smile & say hi to everyone, and i guarantee they will smile back. cool

ps - far as i know, only cheri sends blessings. i dont do religion. however, as chloe said, we are like a big family anymore, and there are lots jokes & love flying around here laugh
pps - good point about none of us ever seeing one of these shirts. we have collectively been on ac 100X i'm sure. bz's do not look highly of public nudity, and i am sure no topless goddesses on shirts there i ever saw. and i have like 10 different bz shirts. i think your friend may be mistaken too...
you should really consider deferring alcohol consumption until after noon.
and it's ALWAYS noon somewhere in the world!
My thought exactly!
Jane-I absolutely, positively DON"T believe in organized "religion"....was raised Baptist but gave the "beliefs" up around 22 yrs. old. Too many "different religions" for only ONE to be the RIGHT ONE!! Blessings are welcome and given to anyone at anytime!! I do, however, believe in "spirituality"....ever hear of Neale Donald Walsch??? If you like to read, grab one of his books-it'll change your life!!! ONE LOVE!!!! Hope we meet one day!! C
high-flying existential bullshit
Any way possible you could be a more kind person???? confused C
gotta, sorry c, nothing personal, i am kinda with dp on this. tho, as i age, i believe in karma more & more. like, what goes around comes around etc...the rest i dunno. i just try to live by the morals & values my parents etc taught me (basically the 10 commandments, minus a few), and try to pass those values on to my kids.

but...you know, debbie is REALLY into comparitive teachings on religion, hust like you. you should talk to her sometime, 'cause she loses me after like 10 minutes of it....(deb, you know i love you honey, just not my bag)
I belive in KARMA all the way!!! Jane-I just think your misunderstanding me, that's all. It's not about religion at all. I think me and JMS were just thinking thoughts of "blessings", nothing else.....so let's get back to original topic.......JMS-let us know when/where you decide you want to spend your time on your visit to Belize!!!! (Jane-I still wish you many blessings in your life!!) wink C
all you need to know is you can get damn near anything want there....
just wait by the cemetery...
Do you know why they put gates around the cemetary? People were just dying to get in.
RickCheri is right - I have seen the "many blessings" wish on the boards and was wondering if that was a common thing in Belize.

I too believe in Karma, and NOT organized religion. Nothing in it for me. There is so much more to life and death than can be learned from Christianity and other religions.

But back to the topic, when is a good time weather-wise to visit Belize? I imagine it is quite hot right now (I don't know that for a fact though). Is spring the best time or the stormy season there? I hate flying that is why I'm asking!
I was in San Pedro AC during the ides of April this year. The weather was perfect with temps in the upper 80's to low 90's and a gentle to moderate breeze from the NNE. One rain shower passed overnight. Calm waters inside and outside reef.
This is a test, only a test.

If this was a real...

High score, dp wink
an epiphany?
Rick and I usually go over Easter and Halloween!! C
ahh...the resurection of the dead and the day of the dead ... hmmmm
klc, I thought of the exact same thing and also thought the same thing... however, not mentioning it I can relax knowing there is no VooDoo doll with my name on it now.... however, you are stuck. eek
hah - like water off a duck's back - teflon skin wink

but wait - isn't Voodoo akin to religion?

oops....wrong thread laugh
very good klcman.....like your thinking.
OK, now that i'm a bit FREAKED...i never realized and bet Rick doesn't either!!! Actually, this year we didn't go during EAster..it was a weird Easter being in March and all? But we LOVE EASTER on the island..it is a "touching" time!!! C
Easter Island, another "religious" connotation .... hmmmmm
I can see the Aku statues staring at us right now.... except that one Aku in the back... he's staring at another Aku statue. eek
I was there during Easter this year, which was mid-April, and I had many resurrections during my stay.
I may get a few aahhmm's, but do you really mean a few erections??? I couldn't help myself - had to ask!
I am sure he meant resurrection. If you ever actually go to AC and sample the fine libations, you will understand.
I've gone to AC and had both! I think it's all in the Beliken eek
better either of those, over an "insurrection"

Aku looks remarkably like Pedro laugh
Even at my old age I have no insurrection problems... eek
well at least I didn't get any aahhmmm's! I'm sure the beauty of the island and mainland, along with the libations, has caused many resurrections AND erections - tee hee, and ha ha ha!

Will I get to meet any of you when I visit. It will probably be winter because it gets nasty here, and the older I get, the worse I hate the cold, snow, ice, and all the rest.
ah, the old cold, snow, ice... 3 reasons why I left Phila and moved to Texas
now, dont start on philly again, denny! it is sunny and 90 here for 6 whole days!

to the rest of you preverts... eek

jms: here's more bz (not all bz) pics, these from last year with my kids (yeah, i know the rest of ya've seen 'em):

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/inbox

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/deux
Freud did a great service to humanity by helping us to come face to face with the unconscious. But he also slipped.
a freudian slip? that has a certain ring to it...
Although Freud was a pioneer in the field of psychology, etc., I personally think he was a pervert. He was so fixated on sex and thought all psychological problems stemmed from sexual hang ups of one kind or another, especially with regard to women. Thank God others realized that most of his theories were bullshit.
careful, dp is in self-therapy, you don't want to shake his confidence
I certainly hope that he is not using a Freudian method - that will screw anyone up more than help. Try meditation and introspective thinking, much more helpful smile
I, for one, embrace the doctrine that the human psyche is a cesspool of psychological and sexual perversity
DG you a highly intelligent individual, and I for one, have come to enjoy your responses despite the fact they are often vague or sometimes off the topic. And you are right, there is a lot of sexual perversity in our world, and I don't mean the normal obsession with sex - I am referring to the sick shit people do to others (or themselves for that matter).
eek
JMS, your post makes for an interesting insight... you state "normal obsession" Isn't that contradictatory? Is there such a thing as a normal obsession?
No, I don't think so considering that most movies, sitcoms, advertisments, and the list goes on and on, usually use sex to "sell" their product. I'm referring to disgusting things such as S & M, misuse of hamsters, and snuff movies. That kind of thing is not ordinary or acceptable, in my opinion.
now we're getting somewhere
Belizeans don't use hamsters.
yes, and tobacco is bad for you as well
Should I worry about myself? Chloe has never thought DOG to be vague or off the topic.
Thought Chloe should ponder on this rainy day.
No need to worry Chloe, I just don't know dg as well as you do. It's rainy here today too.
I belize I witnessed the use of hampsters first hand during my sojourn to San Pedro, I'm convinced they were used to power my Mayan air flight to AC.
Those were rats
Rats, hampsters, gerbils - it doesn't matter, it's so sick it makes me sick! When I first learned of this practice I didn't believe the person who told me, who was a doctor by the way. I really thought he was pulling my leg. But he was not, I have heard of this very sick and inhumane practice many more times since then. I also didn't think snuff movies were for real either, but they are. Did we get on this subject because of Freud?
"ordinary & acceptable" lies in the eye of the beholder - to judge is to be prejudicial, Freud was my uncle
Ordinary and acceptable certainly does lie in the eyes of the beholder, however as with our laws (which may or may not be just or right) public opinion often determines what is ordinary and acceptable. I do not think an ordinary person would find the above acts as acceptable. But on the other hand, witch burning was considered acceptable during those freakish days, so I guess as times change so do our ideas of what is ordinary or acceptable.
do you suppose lemmings may have anticipated this approaching change in acceptable behavior?
not sure sure about Mr. Lemming, but Mr Rohrschact did
Is a rat-powered airplane acceptable?
I sent this post to the psychological weeds, and I tried to bring it back, without success. This post is now amplifying Freud's actual slip, and after some responses, I feel I must reassess my impression management theories.

And why is Chloe posting in third person??

[Linked Image]
Wow, this thread is really getting long... I had to bring my lunch to go through it all. Why do I have the feeling that I have read these postings before? Over and over.... laugh
BECAUSE YOU HAVE!!!! OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
There have been other "threads" about Freud and sexual perversity?
Isn't there a little Freud knocking about in our skulls constantly? Sometimes, at least for me, it's difficult to distinguish what I've thought and what has actually happened. Sort of a conceptual blending. Denny maybe experiencing this phenomenon too.
Yes, conceptional blending! That's what my psychiatrist calls it also. Personally all of my problems started many years ago when I tried to morph a Chagall with a Monet on my computer and all I got were funny looking flowers. Wait, what am I talking about again? What was the subject?

Sigh, I am so confused. eek
So, did you guys get your T's???? C
i didn't laugh
I didn't yet, either. Another lost winning.
Lost my drink, lost my shirt.. frown
I got mine! It looks great!! Thanks... I sent you an email as well. laugh
NYGal....maybe the post office is confused as the "name" put on it!!!....MISS ANT-did you get yours????? C
I need to go check my mailbox!!! Thanks!
Someone else sent me something with the address of NYGal, Cheri'. It will show up. smile

I don't amble across the road yet, so I wait till the realy good half gets home, maybe it's there. I'll let ya know, dont fear. laugh
I got yours NYG
And KLC....i've got yours!!! LOL wink :p C
klc, pass the shirt.
hm....didn't know we wore the same size. wink
promises promises C wink

and NYG - I put it on upside down, bulges fit better that way
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board