AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: seashell note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 12:10 AM
teeray, if you do a search of this board on weddings, you will get an abundance of posts that come up. Many of the posters that responded to queries about weddings in the past have been married in SP and so those old posts will be helpful.

Turnbun has no commercial interest in SP to my knowledge and after her wedding she posted a lovely report along with pictures of her wedding at Sundiver Resort. I've been up to Sundiver a number of times and it's a pretty nice little place, though it is not in quite the same category as Mata Chico or Portofino. It does, however, have a pool, while those two "ritzy" places do not, last I saw.

Others have been married at Victoria House (quite beautiful) and Caribbean Villas. If you look over the websites of those two resorts, you will probably learn a lot too.

Best of luck. Try not to get sidetracked by those newcomers to the board that seem to be trying to stir up dissension, instead of assisting in the search for info.

(For the record "and for the sake of clarity", I have no commercial interests in San Pedro. I have spent a reasonable amount of time there, diving and just generally enjoying myself. I do not have a relationship with any business/hotel owners that would give me a reduction in my acco rentals or purchasing power, by virtue of touting for them here on this board or for any other reason. I do have a love for San Pedro and its environs.)
Posted By: Turnbun1971 Re: note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 12:19 AM
Thanks, Seashell. I do feel bad for highjacking Teeray's post. I just couldn't hold my tongue any longer.

SunDiver was perfect for us. It was a little more "rustic" but with all the conveniences of a nice hotel (mini-fridge, clean rooms, great beach), and the pool was a wonderful bonus. The chef was also very good. He did a bbq for us one night that was to die for. One of the reasons we chose it was because we could all stay there and probably be the only guests. It was like our own little village.

We took our guests on a day trip on Hustler's catamaran. A must-do in my opinion. It was so much fun and the guys who ran the boat and cooked us lunch were so great -- they treated the bride like a queen and gave me lots of "gifts" (koozies, seashells, fun stuff like that).

Here's a link to some pictures so you get an idea of what it was like.

http://community.webshots.com/user/turnbun

Good luck!
Posted By: seashell Re: note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 12:39 AM
Gee, Turnbun, I wouldn't have ever referred to Sundiver as "rustic". Certainly not in comparison to many of the other places in and around SP.

Some of their rooms are a bit small but nothing struck me as particularly "rustic". So I guess, I'm just looking for a Turnbun definition here. smile
Posted By: Turnbun1971 Re: note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 12:48 AM
No, not rustic as in you have to do your business outside. I mean it looks kindof rustic, like an old island house kindof feel rather than fancy-pants chic-looking like Mata Chica. It's got that old beach cottage feel is what I meant. SunDiver was very comfortable and very nice - they had all the ammeneties I needed. I couldn't have done without a pool, and theirs is really nice and clean.
If I had to do it again, I may have stayed closer to town, though b/c the boat was hard on some of my guests (my dad's not in very good health and my sister in law was pregnant at the time - didn't know it at the time of making the reservations).
I can't wait to go back to AC in 12 days. We'll be staying closer to town this time, but you bet we'll go say "hi" to everyone at SunDiver and have a few drinks at the bar!
Posted By: teeray Re: note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 02:47 PM
I really do appreciate the time all of you have spent in posting your thoughts and suggestions. I clearly have some homework to do! Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for getting married in Belize? What kind of documentation, waiting period, etc?

teeray
Posted By: mayatravel Re: note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 03:13 PM
Requirements: You must be in Belize 3 days and can submit your application for a marriage certificate on the 4th business day (not a weekend or local holiday). You'll have your paper work returned and ready for your ceremony by the following business day. You'll need to xerox and submit two pages in each your passports-the page with your photo and date of birth and the page with the Belize immigration stamp of arrival. These pages will need to be notorized along with the marriage application. If either of you have been divorced or widowed, bring divorce decree or death certicate. If either party is a minor....The Govt of Belize charges us$100.00 for the license and this has to be submitted in either Belize City or Belmopan at the Registry office. If you hire a wedding planner, they will faciliate the paperwork for you. We charge us$220.00 for this service. Easier than you think.
Posted By: teeray Re: note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 10:39 PM
A million thanks to Turnbun1971, mayatravel, seashell, Eyelander and everyone else who has offered help and information. You are all invited to the wedding!

I believe I will contact Iraida and let her do her thing!

teeray
Posted By: Turnbun1971 Re: note to teeray about weddings - 08/15/03 11:10 PM
Good choice, Teeray. My one bit of advice, just give up the control and go with the flow. Things run on island time there, so don't worry if you don't hear from Iraida for a few days. She's really on the ball and had EVERYTHING under contrl at all times. When are you getting married? We're there!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board