AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SimonB Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/08/05 08:21 PM
Does anyone on the board have any recommendations for hotels in Playa del Carmen and Cozumel?

I need a cheap hotel on or very close to the beach; there will be 3 of us in the room so it needs 2 beds.

We're heading to Playa on the 17th, 18th and 19th and then Cozumel on the 20th and 21st before heading to Chicago on the 22nd.

Found out it's much cheaper to fly from Cozumel than Cancun.

Thanks all...

Simon...
Posted By: SimonB Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/08/05 08:24 PM
Oh yeah, is there a decent message board out there for Playa/Cozumel that anyone knows of?
Posted By: yat Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/08/05 08:31 PM
Pelicano Inn, Playa del Carmen...right on the beach in town. 2 or 3 way split of the room should not be a problem. Get a room with AC.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/10/05 06:52 AM
Hi Simon,
on Cozumel I stay at the Hotel Bahia. The suites have kitchens and two or more beds. Near the plaza and the beach. Cost is US$50 per night.

Dan
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/10/05 06:59 AM
Simon,
I've had good luck with the "my cozumel" forum. Try it.

Dan

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/
Posted By: SimonB Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/10/05 02:03 PM
Thanks Dan and Yat, much help.
Posted By: GailM Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/10/05 06:18 PM
Hi Simon,
Stayed at the Hotel Colibri in Playa a couple of weekends ago. It was very nice, cleanm, with two dbl beds in each room, fridge etc, It is just north of the edge of town so we walked everywhere. Think the rate was about 70 US.
The phone # is 984 803 1090 and website is www.hotel-colibri.com
I will be staying there again my next time to Playa. Also, it is not too far north of where the boats transfer to Cozumel.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/10/05 06:21 PM
Hi Gail, I was just advised that Playa and Cozumel are experiencing a lot of difficulties after the hurricane including sewage and water problems and that many of the hotels were severely damaged. Do you have any insight into how bad it is?
Posted By: GailM Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/10/05 06:31 PM
Simon, we didn't make it to Cozumel but we had no problems in Playa as all the businesses seemed to be back up and running. Did not see a lot of hotel damage there either, but like I said we stayed to the north of town. I did notice several ferry boats going back and forth to Cozumel.
The worst hit area seemed to be Puerto Aventuras which I was told was reopening the week after I was there. Lots of trees and fences down and all thatch gone on the resorts that had it.
We stay (3 times) at the Gran Porto Real. We love it there. It's on the beach, two block walk to "town". If you go to "trip advisor" you can pull up about any hotel and get forums. Of course as with anything you will get many different opinions on places.
Posted By: hil71 Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/10/05 09:56 PM
Most of the hotels that are effected with hurricane damage have it on their web sites - take a look on tripadvisor.com for lots of listings. Looks like playa was fine or at least most of the damage is fixed.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/11/05 02:21 PM
Thanks for all of your help, I've ended up booking Cancun instead to be safe. I also found that since last week, when it was much cheaper to fly from Cozumel to Chicago to Kansas City to Cozumel, the price has gone way down going from Cancun. We actually saved $500US per ticket! Price per person with all taxes and fees in, per person, via Cancun came to $473 each!

Yeehah, more shopping and nasty fast food money!
Posted By: GailM Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/11/05 04:43 PM
Well Simon, have a great time. Cancun is just not my bag of tea and most likely won't go back but I did enjoy Playa. We have met and will try to stop by your store next month (I return to BZE next month.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/12/05 06:44 AM
The Yucatan peninsula is a great place, but I can do without Cancun. I would recommend Isla Mujeres - a great little island - quieter, nice beaches, good food, friendly locals. I stayed at Na Balam - would stay there again. Playa is nice too. Cozumel is hit and miss, depending on the cruise ship situation. But, I have never seen a seahorse snorkeling anywhere other than Cozumel - it was pretty cool.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/12/05 12:58 PM
Does that little seahorse have a mask specially fit with a tiny little mouth piece too laugh

Sorry, couldn't resist wink
Posted By: SimonB Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/12/05 02:03 PM
Try snorkeling around the TMM dock in the sea grass on the North side, plenty of seahorses there.

Cancun is not the kind of place I would normally go, I'm more of a backs woods off the beaten path kind of guy but in this case it's just a means to get to our main destination. I'll probably try Playa and Cozumel next year and I'd love to stay in the old section of Merida as well.
Posted By: egcntrk Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/13/05 05:37 PM
Simon,

Give www.mybeachboard.com a look. Full of members that travel to MX on a regular basis...many have been going for years. Lots of info; friendly folks.

Since you like off the beaten path, take a look at the Akumal Bay area. It's south of Playa and has some of the better snorkeling in MX. I heard the area was hit pretty hard by the hurricane but should be fine by next year. Craig in WI has vacationed there for many years and you might find his posts interesting...has a recent trip report up, with pics.
Originally posted by Dan Carey:
Hi Simon,
on Cozumel I stay at the Hotel Bahia. The suites have kitchens and two or more beds. Near the plaza and the beach. Cost is US$50 per night.

Dan
http://www.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=42696 (they have great info for Cozemul.
http://www.virtual-cozumel.com/
hotels.com
Hotel Flamingo Cozumel Click here
Calle 6 Norte #81, Cozumel 2 Stars
http://www.hotelsplayadelcarmen.com/ - use this as a reference then try to book directly.
Posted By: Beliglen Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/19/05 09:42 PM
Simon, Try the Margarita Hotel in Cancun. Great rooms, great rates. It is not on the beach, It is close to good food and drink. Miss ya'll. Glen.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/19/05 10:30 PM
Hey Glen, Cool to hear from you, hope all is well with you and Olivia. We're staying at the Clarisa y Palma which is only about a 5 minute walk from the major night clubs and Hard Rock.

Not as bad as I thought, haven't been anywhere like this before so it's a bit of an experience. Headed to the Bulldog tonight to catch a band and then of to the City on Saturday night to welcome the dawn. Chicago on Monday with Wrigley Feild on Wednesday the 24th. The game is on WGN if you get, we'll have our Belize flags waving.

Kats is shopping for an electric in Kansas City when we get there and I'm picking up an Ovation Acoustic Electric if I can find a decent price.

Cheers,

S...

P.S. Knew I couldn't stay away from the board for more than a few days. Can't wait to hear the posts about the Amandala article - bastards! No concept of how much the safety and security of AC means to the every single Belizean of every single race, colour and creed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Recommendations for Playa and Cozumel? - 08/19/05 10:51 PM
Yep - that editorial raises allegations completely distinct from earlier discussions. . .
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board