AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: MALIBU Roads up North - 08/29/05 09:59 PM
Am on my way in a few days -- anybody know the condition of the roads up North? Always stay up there -- heard tale they might not be so good right now.
Thank You!!!
Posted By: Gela Re: Roads up North - 08/29/05 11:06 PM
Malibu - the roads in general seemed to be pretty bad (at least to me). I was there August 13-20 but stayed south only. There were big pot holes everywhere, except the new brick paved streets right in town. I followed the "gradder tractor" in to town one morning - but it had rained a lot earlier and it didn't look like they were able to smooth things out very well.

But of course, that was over a week ago and maybe things are improving? eek
Posted By: knowell Re: Roads up North - 08/29/05 11:46 PM
It was very bad Saturday since there were a couple of rainy nights last week. Even some of the roads south had a lot of pot holes. They fixed the ones south one day but it rained a few days later. But it was bad up north. We only went as far a the Palpa Bar but heard it was worse farther north. But this was the first time we have been north so maybe it is normal, hope not.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 03:10 AM
To Palapa Bar - Excellent (which means poor)
Palapa to Capricorn - Poor (bad)
Capricorn to Captain Morgans - Very Bad (take your chances)
Captain Morgans to Journey's End - Poor
Journey's End to Mata Chica - Poor
Mata Chica to all points north - get a snorkel kit for your cart.

SIN
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 03:10 AM
...and remember it's OFF season, as in DEEP WOODS OFF!

SIN
Posted By: Dizi-B Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 03:30 AM
I'll be 6 miles up north starting Saturday........ eek
Sounds like it's not gonna be good,I was thinking about renting a golf cart, but from what I'm reading it sounds like I shouldn't waste my money???
And I have lots of OFF packed for off season!!
Posted By: spl Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 12:25 PM
a golf cart one day might be fun. Otherwise you can always take Island Ferry to town and back which would save money.
Posted By: Dizi-B Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 02:21 PM
Hey Sir Issac,
What's your best recomendation for getting a ride at 7am from the costa maya reef resort (6 miles north) back to san pedro?
Is that possible?
Posted By: tincup Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 02:37 PM
The resort should be able to arrange that for you. If Island Ferry doesn't/can't pick you up on a special run they (Costa Maya) probably have the names of several private operators that can come and get you.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 03:06 PM
Well heck........... We are staying at Portofino -- love to have the cart for those late nights in town. Especially to eat at Casa Picasso....

I can't remember how late the water taxi's run (I've always had a cart) Anybody know?

Dizi-B - where will U B Sat? We arrive Friday. Looks like rain for us......... :rolleyes:
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 03:08 PM
Oopsie and Oh My, SIN forgot to thank you for the road report.
I really appreciate it!...bad as it is......we will be in the 'cart-snorkeling area'...laugh....
Posted By: Dizi-B Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 03:25 PM
We'll be arriving in SP at appx. 1pm and we have a forcast of rain also!! will be hunting for the water taxi for the trip further north, after finding a local grocery.
Carrying my snorkel too!! but unsure about renting a golf cart with all the reports I'm getting on the road situation up north? eek
I see you are from Texas Malibu, I'm an original Texan even tho I'm in SC! But I'll always be a Texan at heart!!
Like it goes " you can take the girl out of texas but you can't take the texas out of the girl!!" laugh
Posted By: Dizi-B Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 03:30 PM
Thanks tincup for the info!!
Now if the weather will just cooperate!!!'
Speaking of which.............what's the visibility of the water after the rains???
Our trip is mainily for snorkeling the reefs, is all this rain gonna mess us up?
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 08:34 PM
Costa Maya is very helpful in assisting with the water taxi scenario.

Island Ferry will make runs as early as 6AM. This needs to be set-up in advance, at least the day before.

The front desk can take care of this for you, with ease.

For late nights, the Island Ferry runs at 12AM and 2AM on Wed/Fri/Sat nights.

SIN
Posted By: Dizi-B Re: Roads up North - 08/30/05 08:40 PM
Thanks Sir Isaac!!
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 08/31/05 02:49 PM
Thank You for the info SIN!
Posted By: weile Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 04:21 AM
Just a little update from someone who drives there twice a day - every day. Hope it's helpful...
To Palapa Bar: OK
Palapa to Capricorn: OK
Capricorn to Captain Morgan's: Horrible
Captain Morgan's to Belizean Shores: OK
Belizean Shores to Journey's End: Horrible
Journey's End to Sundiver: OK

OK means better than we had feared this time of year and no problem for most golf carts.
Horrible means too many dump trucks up north now.
Posted By: pnowell Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 04:29 AM
We were told only gas carts up North and don't forget the mosquito spray.
Posted By: weile Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 04:53 AM
Yes, gas carts are better and don't run out of juice as easily as the electric ones. Seems like all the new rental ones are gas powered anyway. You can easily make it past Sundiver on one of those (probably further - I don't know). Some of the roads south of town are actually at least as bad.
True about the mosquito spray. They are pretty agressive right now.
Posted By: cloudbusterb Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 04:55 AM
can you make it to the airport to belizean shores or are the roads to messed up
Posted By: weile Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 05:01 AM
Airstrip to Belizean Shores can be done on a golf cart, but the road between Capricorn and Captain Morgan's (just south of Belizean Shores) is pretty bad, so if you are planning on arriving on a golf cart with family, luggage and an open bottle of Belikin Beer, you might want to reconsider and have the good people at Belizean Shores hook you up with a golf cart rental, once you're there.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 12:19 PM
Why can't all the resorts up north all chip in and get the "road" paved or leveled out or filled in? It would be to their benefit, seems to me... eek
Posted By: tincup Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 01:03 PM
Denny - No doubt it is due to the high cost of fill. The delivery to the north more than doubles the cost and without the very best (and very expensive) hardcore for road building much of the material will simply disappear into the low areas. Not all the road frontage abuts the resorts either. There are many properties privately owned and often by absentee owners who won't contribute to improvements. The resorts can't be expected to foot the bill for everyone. It's the same problem we have with keeping the beaches clean.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 01:52 PM
ok, that's makes sense.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 03:01 PM
Hm...I thought you would have known that Denny.

But, now we all do smile
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 03:59 PM
Ask a question..........

So here is another -- could one, would one, should one (or 2 who like to have fun) hazard a cart on these treacherous roads up north? Will the cart get stuck? Mr Malibu and I will be safely ensconced at Portofino but must eat din-din at Casa Picasso, Papi's etc......and don't want to depend on water taxi.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 04:12 PM
We did it last year - but don't know how much difference this year's rain has made in the roads - guess we're about to find out wink

Welcome back NYG!
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 05:49 PM
NY... it was kinda wishful thinking, but then I also realized if the roads were ever paved, then it might put the water taxi's out of biz... unless instead of a road, maybe they could build a small canal for the boats? eek
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Roads up North - 09/01/05 09:57 PM
We stayed at Journey's End last February, rented a golf cart and took the road north up and back. Glad we did it, gave some kids a ride to school, had lots of fun. But, we really didn't want to do it again. You take a pretty good pounding because of all the holes, and it sounds like it's worse now. Both of us had a headache and were forced to spend a few hours just relaxing on the beach with a cold one. :-) Also, it takes a lot of time, because you can't go very fast at all, especially in the dark coming home from dinner. Figure maybe an hour to get home? I'm guessing. Oh, and you definitely want to be wearing a good bra, as opposed to your postage-stamp bikini top.

Maybe you can rent a cart for one day, and then extend it if you're having fun with it. That way you don't reserve/pay for more than 24 hours until you decide for sure.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 09/04/05 05:58 PM
I am here -- roads are very passable to Portofino.... Mr Malibu steps on gas and doesn't let up - that is the answer. Meanwhile -- I've got my heavy-duty sports bra on and am slapping mosquitos! Bad bad bad mosquitos. Never had to use bug spray before.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 09/11/05 07:17 PM
We gave some locals a ride from the cut to Captain Morgan's - the extra weight made for a much smoother ride. Made it all the way to Mata Chica before getting caught in a downpour making us turn around and head for shelter at the Palapa Bar. wink Parts of the road were bumpy but certainly not undrivable.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 09/12/05 12:27 PM
wow law... you are so lucky to have found safe haven at palapa bar... it must have been a terrible experience... eek
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 09/12/05 04:51 PM
terribly fun wink
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: Roads up North - 09/12/05 05:09 PM
i miss you & victor already frown
Posted By: Vic the Knife Re: Roads up North - 09/12/05 09:00 PM
Hey, David: did Leah Ann ever thank you for the dance lesson? Pescadora Magnifica: I'll share my oreos with you anytime! Thanks for the chicken. we had it for dinner one evening.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: Roads up North - 09/12/05 09:21 PM
glad you enjoyed it. come to think of it, oreos would make a great side dish with the chicken.
i guess we may have looked comical eating oreos & drinking rum in the pool.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 09/12/05 09:35 PM
r u kidding?!? - we looked extremely sophisticated, especially hiding behind the waterfall! wink
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: Roads up North - 09/12/05 09:58 PM
oh you smart girl, you are sooooo correct cool
Posted By: KC Re: Roads up North - 09/13/05 04:18 AM
Quote: "There are many properties privately owned and often by absentee owners who won't contribute to improvements. "
--------------

And then there are properties that are privately owned by absentee owners who DO/DID contribute to the cost of the road up north. wink smile wink smile
Posted By: Dizi-B Re: Roads up North - 09/14/05 04:27 PM
Just got back Saturday, and the roads up north SUCK!! We couldn't even get access to our resort by golf cart. We were 6 miles north, if I had it to do again, I'd stay South at least until they get the bridge put in and the roads FIXED!
But other than the roads, and having to use a water taxi for everything, and no other eating areas around, or no stores to buy supplies and having to eat every meal at our resort...........we had a great time. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and the view was beautiful! We'll definitely be back for a visit someday.
Maybe by then they can have more control over the mosquito problem!!!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/14/05 05:20 PM
Maybe we should clarify this, the road is not really a road and up until the introduction of gas carts about 2 years ago it was nothing more than a bike and footpath north of Journey's End.

There are many resorts up north that have been running successfully for years without access by road and that's one of their charms.

Unfortunately I think that more and more visitors are coming to the island having heard about the road up north who end up disappointed when they find out just how bad it really is. Water taxi will remain the preferred method of travel for many years to come and is one of the pleasures of visiting AC.

If you're booked up north and are worried about access to stores and restaurants don't forget about provisioning services (I know it's a blatant plug but it's low season.)

Can't help with the mosquitoes, they'll be here long after we're all gone.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/14/05 05:34 PM
The beauty is also being a little adventure, but, you know Progress will come soon, as the resorts keep being built.
So, I am still pushing for bridge, and even if dirt, roads all the way north.
Also, maybe a association to form for all property oweners north of cut, to discuss this road problem, and chance to speak about grouth, and some controlled road development, and maintaince.
I am trying to get list of all property oweners at Haberneros, which is part of new Resort, Brightwaters Beach Resort, to do my part.
So if anyone knows where I can find list, maybe Gov agency, who process all deads, I would appreciate it.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/14/05 06:07 PM
Steve, maybe you're not aware but many people have been FIGHTING the introduction of a proper road for years (along with the bridge).
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Roads up North - 09/14/05 06:56 PM
SimonB, does that play a part in why the bridge has not been built? Do those people have a strong voice in the decision?

I was born and raised in a sleepy beach community that grew in leaps and bounds, so I'm always curious how other people/areas handle such growth.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/14/05 07:11 PM
Yes and no. Many residents were (and still are) opposed to the bridge for security and traffic reasons, and they do have their points. Town Council listened to the concerns of those residents and those of the entire community and decided to go with the option that benefited the community as a whole (building the bridge.) The main concern is traffic and the inability of the road structure to handle the increase in traffic. The bridge has been designed to restrict traffic to golf carts, bikes and pedestrians, there is an option to unblock the structure to allow full sized vehicles when the road can bear the traffic.

Progress happens here, just on a slower pace. The bridge is a prime example as it's been talked about for years and construction was to be started months ago. Even with a strong will things get done when they get done. It also doesn't help when the central government (either party) doesn't ackowledge how important San Pedro is to the country as a whole and invests very little back into the community in the way of infrastructure. The bridge is being privately financed as was much of the street paving.

I'm sure that there are plenty of differing opinions but that's my take on things.
Posted By: WhiteWater Re: Roads up North - 09/14/05 08:01 PM
I imagine this is a particularly difficult issue on a small island shaped like AC, even with funding available. But, those are the sorts of problems that civil engineers love to solve. :-)

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: boricua Re: Roads up North - 09/16/05 04:39 AM
HERE IS A NOVEL IDEA.MAKE FUTURE REAL ESTATE SALES UP NORTH,CONTRIBUTE TO A ROAD FUND,AS FOR SECURITY RESTRICTING ACCESS OFF THE ROAD INTO RESIDENTIAL AREAS TO LAND OWNERS AND RESORT GUESTS.
Posted By: spl Re: Roads up North - 09/16/05 07:23 AM
?? I am sure I just do not understand correct. But what I am understanding is you want future real estate PURCHASERS up north to contribute even more money to road funds??? I would prefer to keep paying to cross over the bridge once built than to pay manditory fees if I purchase more land up north!
Posted By: krehfish Re: Roads up North - 09/16/05 02:34 PM
I haven't taken the "road" for a number of years. Even then, only as far as Capt. Morgan's. But from the sounds of things it's a goat trail. I agree w/Simon(I think) that an improved trail for bikes and carts is a good compromise. Why build a bridge to a goat trail? Oh yeah- Simon: save your launch ramps. If they build the bridge like the marina, it'll be an 80' bridge for a 90'span.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/16/05 02:41 PM
Or we could wait until someone like Tiger Woods, who I have heard as big rumor, just like Blackador Caye Rumor comes true, has bought property to build Golf Course, and he will finally put out money to develope roads , same as any other developer might also do.
This road will happen for sure, but restrict access some way, for security purpose.
Some day, and hope soon, as we will need food service ( grocery markets)for locals, and other needed service for resorts.
Paradise is nice, seculision for some, but controlled dev. is best for all concerned.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/16/05 03:25 PM
:rolleyes:
Posted By: krehfish Re: Roads up North - 09/16/05 04:51 PM
"...controlled dev. is best for all..." ??!! Careful there.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/16/05 08:30 PM
A little background on the bridge:

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/02-022.html

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/02-231.html

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/02-081.html

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/04-111.html

http://sanpedrosun.net/old/05-053.html

Tried posting this once before but it disappeared?
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Roads up North - 09/17/05 08:36 AM
BLACKDOR CAYE= LEONARDO DICARPRIO. It is not a rumor, pure truth since June. For more info:

http://www.cdnn.info/news/travel/t050629.html
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/2005/07/11/buys.shtml
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/19/05 03:10 PM
Yes, it is true, but was written off for a long time as only a rumor.
Who wants to right off the Tiger Woods rumor, maybe the 300 room resort, on Ambergris Caye chat, is him, and fellow investors.
Someone mentioned a association for north , would like to get involved, as I am a property owner in the north. I would like to put in my 2 cents worth concerning the road.
Thanks
Posted By: boricua Re: Roads up North - 09/19/05 10:25 PM
I was not aware, that any of us ,who have bought land up north,have paid any amounts towards road bldg,what road?Im not aware of gas prices in belize,perhaps a gas tax to build roads like here in the states.you say you would rather pay a toll every time you crossed the bridge,that could add up over time.when I said future sales should pay for the roads I meant the sellers pay.They are making good returns on their sales and should be made to pay for access to these properties.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/19/05 10:54 PM
Tax the gas more? You're kidding right? We pay $4.50US per gallon already.

Where I came from the buyers had to pay surcharges in any new development. Those funds (supposedly) went towards any new services that were required to support the development (schools, snow clearing, garbage removal...).

Pave the roads down south first (except Front Street), it'll be of much more benefit to the community and tourism as a whole. Keep the water taxis in business up north, it's been part of the experience for 25+ years, another 25 won't hurt!
Posted By: klcman Re: Roads up North - 09/19/05 11:13 PM
In my neck of the woods, any new development must upfront "Impact fees" to cover those types of line items mentioned above.

Obviously these get passed down to the buyers in their lot/home prices, but at least the infrastructure is addressed FIRST. The developers also must put in the roads(s) built to town specs because what usually happened was that once the subdiv was sold out, the residents petitioned the town to take over the roads & maintain them, only to find out all too often they were too narrow for fire & ambulance vehicle access, so guess who footed the bill?
Posted By: KC Re: Roads up North - 09/20/05 02:44 AM
Boricua, You may not be aware that some of the owners up north have paid for the road being "punched" and grated just north of Journey's End northward, but it is true nonetheless. The main reason we paid Casey to do this was to keep the golf carts off of the beach because they were destroying it. You could not stroll the beach without being ran over by golf carts. It was not done because we want the traffic, but, as I said, to divert it off of the beach. Even at best, it is not a pleasant way to get to town, IMHO. A nice, quick, cool and breezy boat ride to town is much preferable to me than a hot, mosquito infested, bumpy, dusty, and long ride on a golf cart. But that's just me. I'm with Simon, keep the water taxis in business. The very LAST thing I want to see driving past our house is a car or truck. Part of the charm is not being accessible by car. It's all about choice. For now, Ambergris can give you that choice. How great is that?

Kathy
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/23/05 04:40 PM
Time to put Roads North back on the top list.
I am still for it, and will do my part to see this happen. Good for Caye, and all, either visitors, full time residences.
The taxi service will still enjoy a increase in traffic, as we grow.
Posted By: GCSR Re: Roads up North - 09/26/05 04:45 PM
I am still against it, and will do my part to see that it doesn't happen. I feel quite confident however that it will happen but do not feel that it will be good for everyone, respectfully, as does Corona Steve.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 09/26/05 09:12 PM
All that is bad will go North via bridge.

Too bad.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/27/05 02:25 PM
They go North by barge, boat and whatever means they can go. Time to rethink your statment.
I have not seen any security checking papers, stopping persons from using Barge.
If anyone is worried, maybe a privatly Security co. would ensure a more secure enviorment for residences, as some resorts have done.
How hard is it for enforcement to go after those who choose boat to go north, and break into those residences on the water, in both daytine and dead of night.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 09/27/05 03:32 PM
help........anybody?
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/27/05 03:54 PM
Can not get there in time, no roads, sorry.
Try next year.
Don't blame me.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Roads up North - 09/27/05 03:59 PM
Everybody that has purchased property north of the cut KNEW that there was no decent road. They knew there was a dirt track that goes under water and turns to slush at the slightest little rain or even extreme high tide.

If folks up north now want a road then they need to figure out how they are going to "punch" it through, make it weather resistent and maintain it. Obviously this is going to cost a lot of money - money that some of us tax payers don't want frittered away on a project such as this whilst we still have major infrastructure issues in town to deal with.

I agree that all things must progress, but they should progress in a sensible manner.

Town has approx 10,000 people, north has what - 500 maybe.

Why don't we build a few more classrooms for the schools so they can accommodate the kids we have roaming the streets, or maybe we can help the SAGA society build their clinic so we can get the animal population under control.

The road north is not a high priority. If it is to a few small groups - I vote that they figure out how to pay for it, install it and maintain it.

On the security issue: If you choose to purchase outside of the town core you need to take care of your security issues. That means that if you have a home up north and you are worried about security - you need to pay a security guard firm to take care of your investment. There is a neighbourhood watch up north that seems to be quite effective - if you have a home up north you need to join and be active.

There is crime everywhere in town, north has it share, so does south. You don't need a barge or a bridge or a road to go north. You can walk. When we were kids we would go for miles and miles in dorys. Thieves will always find a way - so don't allow yourself to be victim. Protect yourselves and your assets with a little common sense, maybe a fence, perhaps adopt a dog from SAGA. Hire the security firms and put up your neighbourhood watch sign.

Did that help?
Posted By: GCSR Re: Roads up North - 09/27/05 04:15 PM
Amanda, Excellent reply. I being property owner up north do not want a road. Have hired security people on occassion and enjoy the boat ferries. Thanks for putting this all in perspective for others with different ideas.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 09/27/05 08:31 PM
Great reply Amanda! Thank You.

What I meant by my reply was -- do you see a difference in the North and the South and/or the North and in town? I believe because it is more difficult to access (wait for ferry, take boat up, etc.) less scurge make it that far that often. I know others (owners and visitors alike) feel this way as they have told me so. Crime - tis everywhere.......this is true. It isn't necesarily crime I was talking about.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 09/27/05 09:53 PM
great points amanda.you hit the nail on the head. besides who's in a hurry to cross the cut or speed up the northern paths? we have a place up north and when we are there were on "belize time". cool
Posted By: sandb Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 01:55 AM
Nicely said Amanda.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 02:44 PM
Please, simple question.
How many people, who have joined in this discussion, live full time in the North.
I can get a better understanding of how everyone
really feels about this.
No pun intended.
This will help in understanding your concerns.
Thanks
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 04:12 PM
I don't live there - yet, I have a plot of land slated for my retirement years. I wish it were going to be the same there then as it is right now. But progress will definitely change the area that I am going to move to.

Obviously I know many people that live north at the moment - most of them are just sitting back, tongue in cheek, listening to the gradiose plans. I think they are waiting for the golf course to be up and running and letting Tiger Woods foot the bill for the extension of the roads.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 04:53 PM
Question, has anyone heard, if the Tiger Woods story is for real, or a rumor.
Just asking
Amanda, I also bought property up north, Haberneros area, 6 lots, but not on water.
I also will retire from my business, and hope to open some sort of business, or small resort.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 05:17 PM
I heard it was for real but that was just a rumour.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 05:58 PM
I heard it was a real rumor . . .
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 06:30 PM
It's no longer worth the effort to add anymore to this thread as it appears that nothing valuable that has been written has been read.

Put it to rest.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 09/28/05 07:00 PM
But what about the entertainment value? wink
Posted By: glass1 Re: Roads up North - 09/29/05 04:58 AM
Simon is correct,bikes,carts and the curious adventurists,a bridge could handle that.
To all so concerned about access beyond the cut,live there for at least a year,see what happens,and how much pull you have,Everybody wants to rule this little world.Yes,paradise is nice,lets leave it alone and find another place for your desires,just not here.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Roads up North - 09/29/05 04:31 PM
Just a quick update - I have heard that the Bridge "Soon Come" laugh

The rumor is that Medina Construction will be sighting and installing the footings in the near future.

I haven't heard if the bridge has arrived in country yet.

So sad to think of the end of an era - I'll really miss the little hand pulled ferry. frown
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 09/29/05 05:09 PM
AC will outgrow itself, unfortunately. eek
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/29/05 09:06 PM
I have plenty of pics of it. Will blow up pics and put on wall to remember.
Yes, it was a great topic of my conversation, and made a great story.
But here comes the bridge, sorry, but a much needed part of new infrastructure.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 09/29/05 11:27 PM
Just had a walk up and the south side alternate ramp is buing built at this time.

No one is disputing the need for the bridge it's the need for a road for vehicular traffic that's being disputed.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 09/30/05 09:18 PM
So now there is a dispute of the dispute? Now just what dispute is being disputed?

laugh I am sure everyone cares, you just can't tell.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 09/30/05 09:31 PM
Road North
Please, only those who live full time in the North
Pro' & con's
Discussion time.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Roads up North - 10/01/05 01:49 AM
STEVE
You sure are trying to control things - like who has a right to post here. Do you just NOT get that people who gravitate to Belize WILL NOT be controlled??? Have you ever tried herding cats??? It would probably be easier.
If you had read these message boards and been there, as you say you have, you would know who lives up north.
BTW - I just got an e-mail today that says all the roads are now covered with water. I sure hope the cisterns are now full. :p
Posted By: sassnfun Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 05:06 AM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: klcman Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 06:21 AM
That's the funniest thing I've seen all day!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 07:35 AM
Scubalady,
I am sorry if I missed something, but if one reads the message boards and one has been to AC why would they know who lives up north???

Again, forgive me if I missed something in the thread.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 01:34 PM
ke, guess where i live when i'm in ac :rolleyes:
Posted By: sandb Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 02:48 PM
You see? you're not following #7891's instructions..." only those who live full time in the North."
Posted By: klcman Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 03:15 PM
I live in the cold North, does that count?
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 03:33 PM
SANDB, #7891 DOESN'T LIVE IN THE NORTH FULL TIME. UNLESS YOU CALL "FLORIDA" UP NORTH. confused
Posted By: klcman Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 04:03 PM
"do as I say, not as I do"
Posted By: mrcdc Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 04:19 PM
Yes, I do live in Florida, but have invested in the North, not just 1 lot, or a condo, but in 6 lots, so I have a interest in what happens, concerning roads. This is not only a investment for future, but a place to live. I personally do like some inforstructure, roads, water, power, and some convience. Unlike Calif., Florida, which has been overrun with bad planning, and a bunch of people who only visit to get away from their city dwellings for a few days, or weeks a year. I have looked up a good number of negative responders, and almost all of you show that you live elseware as main residences.
I can not tell which owens property, but reading the chat room, most of you use this chat room as enjoyment only, with no real sight for future of Belize, otherwise all jokes and pundents could somehow dig deep, and put out some real insight as to what you are looking for, knowing that the north will grow, no matter what. Why not move from your easy chair, easy way of life, with conviences in home town, easy acess to all around, and find out that most could not make it outside the USA full time.
Most of you would be first to conplain when something goes wrong, and could not get to Hospital, or for medicine, police, and the fire dept. A lot of you will go to SP, and North, than go back to your everyday life with all conviences, including drive in theaters, and duncan donuutts.
Now, you can make more jokes if you want, maybeeven fun of me. Go ahead and show me what you got. For those of you who use this chat room, it should give you more to do.
HAVE AT IT
Posted By: mrcdc Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 04:23 PM
For those who do not konw, or can not figure it out, yes it is Corona Steve from another base station.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 05:11 PM
let me guess , someone must have missed the fact that no roads exist where they bought there property, whoops! maybe we can all chip in and build and maintain a road to his "investment" so he can sell his lots. or maybe we can get the ferry to add a 2bz surcharge on toll to continue the road all the way to mexico eek
Posted By: sassnfun Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 07:05 PM
This reminds me of a lady who bought a ranch in Arizona to "get away from it all" we were (happily) on generators and wells on dirt roads.So the lady who bought decides she wants the "conveniences" after awhile, and fought the whole Valley so she could have her way..she won on the electric but not the road.

Corona if YOU want the conveniences stay in Florida and let everyone have their little bit of heaven on AC *OR* take a bunch of Chill Pills and go with the flow and enjoy the "flavor" of the place...Progress can wait for a few 1000's Belikins...
Posted By: reaper Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 08:22 PM
Corona Steve, A number of the folks you're taking shots at on this board have done a lot for San Pedro by donating time, money and effort to make it a better place. Most folks are sceptical of 300 room resorts and Tiger's golf course spouted by visitors with grand money making plans. The bar talk can be incredible and locals have heard all of the grand plans by liars and cheats to "save Belize" or how to make millions on the island! And most of them end up "Just another gringo in Belize". This forum is used by friends and soon to meet friends to discuss the issues, poke some fun and keep in touch until they meet on a barstool in the sand. Building a bridge has pros and cons for most people and developing the north part of AC is a whole other set of issues. The island is already trying to deal with an assortment of infrastructure issues in town. A large development is already in progress up north,"Belize Legacy Resort". As time goes on I'm sure the north will become developed and a road will be cut in. Basil Jones Airport may even become a reality to avoid 10+ mile taxi rides from town to destinations. However buying property and trying to speed up progress usually doesn't make many friends. And telling people they wouldn't make it in the north is ludicrous! In February a number of very well informed island residents will be helping Amanda drink her winning case of Belikin. I invite you to join us for the evening and discuss the issues of "ALL" Belize, not just the north end of AC. And please lay off of the Corona or get spell check, because it's painful to read some of your posts. See you in February. Rich Grimm [email protected] (p.s. Well, I guess we have beaten the hell out of this dead, dead horse!!!) cool
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/02/05 08:46 PM
laugh
Posted By: boricua Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 01:08 AM
Wow,I had no idea how deep this issue of roads up north runs.I did not think that access to a property I own is that great a that great or outlandish.I undertand not wanting the status quo to change,when you think you have found paradise,but the thing changes as time goes on,we have to accept that.I am sure that future changes may not be to my liking but,but I hope I will be man or woman enough to accept the fact that stuff happens.I believe that access to ones property is a given,and I dont mean by water taxi.Try waiting for a water taxi if you need emergency access to medical or police help by water taxi,it aint goig to happen.I reiterate that access should be the responsibility of the seller.What are we so afraid of,is it that the native populatiuon is unworthy of access to the rest of the island,from all of the glowing reports,everybody on this island is friendly and not to be compared to any othe place.why build a bridge to nowhere.T
Posted By: boricua Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 01:13 AM
Wow,I had no idea how deep this issue of roads up north runs.I did not think that access to a property I own is that great a that great or outlandish.I undertand not wanting the status quo to change,when you think you have found paradise,but the thing changes as time goes on,we have to accept that.I am sure that future changes may not be to my liking but,but I hope I will be man or woman enough to accept the fact that stuff happens.I believe that access to ones property is a given,and I dont mean by water taxi.Try waiting for a water taxi if you need emergency access to medical or police help by water taxi,it aint goig to happen.I reiterate that access should be the responsibility of the seller.What are we so afraid of,is it that the native populatiuon is unworthy of access to the rest of the island,from all of the glowing reports,everybody on this island is friendly and not to be compared to any othe place.why build a bridge to nowhere.This island beg for a suitable road system,that is where its future lies,quit being a cog in the works.Make it happen right,taking into consideration how it will affect everyone and creating an effective plan to benefit all views.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 02:17 AM
Access is definitely NOT the responsibility of the seller! You bought the property as-is.
Posted By: sandb Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 02:33 AM
heer hear
Posted By: glass1 Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 06:21 AM
take a good look at the Mayan Calendar's,then plan your structered futuristic plans,alittle late and no clue you have.
Posted By: glass1 Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 06:36 AM
and about all that land-fill???and whats up with the fenced in compound after the ferry?looks kind of creepy.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 12:25 PM
100% correct Jesse... The old saying is "Buyer Beware" eek
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 01:30 PM
Thanks all for some serious discussion on this matter. Sorry I had to do what I did to get things started. I will bow out for a few days, so everyone else can discuss this.
Again, Thanks
Posted By: KC Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 05:29 PM
"I believe that access to ones property is a given,and I dont mean by water taxi."
------------

You didn't notice this when you bought the property?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 05:49 PM
One of the first things we tell people that are considering buying real estate is Belize is "Do NOT assume anything!" Things here are not the same as wherever you call "home." You are not guaranteed road access, electricity, city water, cable tv or phone service. Nor are you guaranteed that the fire department or ambulances will be able to reach you during an emergency. There are some major risks involved in choosing to live in this part of the world - and I haven't even mentioned them yet!

Perhaps it's not so much buyer beware as buyer BE aware.

I can tell you if I wanted easy road access, utilities, drive in theatres and mall shopping I would move to Miami.

The biggest risk I am going to take is meeting a bunch of folks I don't know in February in order to drink copious amount of alcohol whilst solving the problems of the island.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 06:13 PM
Just wait till reaper slaps a chute on ya and shoves ya into his plane...
Posted By: reaper Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 08:19 PM
and then OUT the door! laugh
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 08:26 PM
This about working on getting a road North.
I bought the property with no road, no power, but thinking that some day we could have both.
No not Miami, or any other US metropolitian city.
More like Amarican Somoa, which does have roads, and did not destroy the area. A little effort, and without screwing up the area, we could have this.
See all in Feb, where is this Belikin beer fest going to be held. I will be in SP also next month, Nov. dates not set.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 08:28 PM
Sorry for mispelled words, but you get the jest of it, I hope
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 08:43 PM
My turn for a little humor.
Imagine running out of Belikin, driving into town, buy 2 or 3 cases, than drive home, and have to wait 2 or 3 hours, until it settles, before opening it
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 09:17 PM
corona, by the time your warm belikin cases get cold they will settle down.you can go accross the street from the belikin warehouse to the supermarket and pick up a cold six pack if you need some before you get to your property, but then again how do you get there without a road? hummmm, you better bring a back pack to hold the warm case of beer.oh yea and some bug spray. (for the walk from where the road ends).maybe you should invest in a boat that would help ...good luck !! confused
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 09:45 PM
When you live up north the trick is not to run out of anything.

You should go into your pantry and it will look like the stock room of the San Pedro Supermarket.
Posted By: KC Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 09:45 PM
Yes, I do see the "jest" of it. :-)
Posted By: KC Re: Roads up North - 10/03/05 09:46 PM
Oh sorry, did you mean "gist" of it? laugh
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 12:02 AM
When you come down, take a ride from town to your place and you'll get an idea of all the people who won't want a road running through their front yard.

Then take a long walk around town and see all of the things that we need to address long before a road goes in up north.

I do believe there will be a road some day but hopefully it will be one lane with passing ports and with plenty of calming, with a restriction on vehicles to no more than 2000lbs AND it should only be built when our other infrastructure needs are met (water, power, traffic, schools, security, health care, youth programs, southern roads and ???)
Posted By: boricua Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 01:21 AM
move to miami,been there done that,its new york south now.however i would like to take a little poll,of all you who have opinioned about the roads and my comments,how many of you have sold or are selling land up north.maybe if you quit selling land up north,the problem would be null.spare me the buyer be aware spiel,try do unto others as you would have them onto you.someday that road is going to be built and as I or my children pass by on it,we will wave to you on our way to our property.have a good life.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 01:38 AM
I plan on buying up north at some time and have no expectations or want for a road. The lack of one is one of the reasons I would buy.

I'll say it for the last time, the community would benefit little if at all, a very small minority might but not the community as a whole. The reception would be kinder if more concern was shown for the community rather than the individual.
Posted By: reaper Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 01:47 AM
300 room resorts with toyota taxis racing up and down from the current airstrip to the northern most destinations. That sounds great! Get the road graders fired up! Amanda...where should we hold the awards ceremony and who is on the "A" list? Please keep your acceptance speech to 30 seconds! I'll be there Feb. 9-21. cool
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 01:57 AM
Acceptance speech??? Oh, no!!!
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 07:08 PM
SimonB & reaper - you said it brother (s)! Applause, applause!!!!!!
laugh
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 08:17 PM
Have been reading quite a few messages on chat, could not believe how many want to use road, when they come to SP and want to book up north, only to find that roads are bad.
Maybe I should be talking to resort owners and not chat room, to try and push some road work.
Spend some time reading some of their concerns.
Yes, Me again.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 08:47 PM
CS, Perhaps you should spend some time in the middle east. They are about out of hotels.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 08:57 PM
...when we bought property up north, I tell ya, the seller really "glossed over" the whole subject of the road... I had my suspicions (I mean he kept taking us up to the property in a "boat"?) but I did not worry too much... I mean, how do you get anywhere when there's not a road? I reasoned... Then, a couple years later, when we decided to build a resort and restaurant, the contractor kept talking about "barges" for bringing in materials... "Suit yerself pal" I thought, "But looking at the effort that's gonna take, putting it on a truck and just drivin' it up SURE would be easier!!!" Again, I shrugged it off, figuring maybe he just wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer... "Hah... bringing in TONS of material by a (smirk) boat!." After opening for biz, having left both our vehicles in the states (a big truck, which sure will sure be useful down here and a 1969 Plymouth GTX w/ a 440 which I am REALLY hoping to be able to show off on weekend nights out in town) we found ourselves EVERY DAY picking up our staff in a boat... "Huh... guess they don't know any better..." I reasoned... On windy/choppy days, they sure get drenched en route to work, but if they prefer that to simply driving and don't complain, I'm not gonna say anything... Same with all our vendors and purveyors... Take the guy who delivers produce to us up here... 'seems' like a pretty shrewd guy, but again, he shows up in a boat???!!! SAME for the beer delivery folks, and they've been doing business down here for YEARS... you'd think they'd know better? It's as though we decided to live and work at the far reaches of some undevelopped tropical island or something... Oh, cripes, wait a minute....!!!
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 09:10 PM
Heheehhehaaaaaaa haha. FDLMAO!!! ....laugh.......!!!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 09:42 PM
Reaper - drop me a pm.

Jesse, will you be writing the speech for me?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/04/05 09:58 PM
Lets see...30 seconds max? Sure!
Posted By: NYgal Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 02:15 AM
Has anyone mentioned the black top driveways we will all need. I want mine to be double wide and have a huge turn around for the new cars and boat trailers.

All of our golf carts and soon your truck will be able to drive directly to the markets and across the new bridge.

We could all drag race and squeel tires. (OH what FUN....)

Damned fools... wink
Sand is a pleasure smile
Enjoy pleasures.
Love life and get a boat laugh
Posted By: reaper Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 04:05 AM
Let's keep beating this dead horse!!! SFJeff, you have a first class resort...good work! Corona Steve, try to follow me on this one. In most places around the states there are zoning restrictions. Usually houses are in residential zones and Wal-Mart is in a commercial zone. Hotels are in mixed areas. Ac is unique, long and skinny. The cart path north across the cut winds past homes, a few commercial properties(Palapa Bar, Sweet Basils etc.) and some resorts. As more resorts such as Belize Legacy or larger move up the coast it creats a bit of a problem, And they are planning moving folks without a road. Usually busy streets moving a lot of traffic don't wind through residential areas. So by building a road north to the most remote resort or homes presents a traffic nightmare. Put all of the residents, employees,food and beverage vehicles on this road wich will be about 15 miles long. Now envision the island visitors using taxis, busses or the monorail(sorry, I couldn't help myself laugh ) traveling this road each day. Does the "Hollywood Freeway" become a luxury or a nightmare. And I have seen the island by air all of the way to Mexico. Unless you have a Billion dollars to drive pilings into the swamp land you won't hide the road from anyone. Here in Southern California we have a fantastic place called Catalina Island. It's 28 miles from the mainland. Everyday a DC-3 flys goods out to the island and it gets shipped 12 or so miles from the airstrip to Avalon, the resort town. Helicopters and large ferrys take thousands of visitors to the island each year. This amazes me! I can't figure out why we don't just build a 26 mile causway from Long Beach to Avalon like the Florida Keys????? Then we could just jump in our SUV's and drive over in 20 minutes!!!!! cool
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 05:14 AM
...now the following curveball will NO DOUBT add another 10 pages to this thread (forgive me folks... someone copy this to a new one if ya like) but Reaper, you touch on a few really 'interesting' subjects in your last comment. Where we are on the island used to be considered, even but a few years ago, "way up north"... not so anymore. We're in the 'burbs. That's a fact. Another fact? Places like Belize Legacy, Blue Reef, etc ARE being built. You're correct in that shuttling employees, food and beverages, etc, etc to these areas every day presents a challenge. A lot of the resorts up there and the ones to come, I'm sure, will find it much more convenient to have as much staff live on site as possible (for those reading this who don't live here, gas down here sure is expensive and if you're 10-15 miles north of town, less you have a sail, your ride to San Pedro and back is not cheap!) So you'll have more staff that lives up there... then, at some point, some enterprising person will open up a little take out joint or such to cater to staff who are tired of eating staff meals and/or cooking for themselves... Master Lee's North? Another enterprising person will realize that there are enough people working/living in the area to support a place for people to hang out when they are off the clock to gossip and enjoy a beer or two... Some REALLY enterprising person might, when the timing is right, figure out that it is really expensive to have to drive your boat 10 miles to fill up on gas and you'll then find a pump on a dock with a little stand where you can fill up on gas and oil and buy some snacks to go... Mind you, this will happen slowly, little by little... also mind you, I am NO EXPERT in these matters... but, I would bet my five cents (which is about all we have left after building this resort... thanks for the compliment though Reaper) that LONG before there is a pristine stretch of "2 lane blacktop" (now was THAT a great movie or what!) stretching from San Pedro to the regions north, something else will start to take seed...

another town.

(of course this has nothing to do with/will do nothing about the above mentioned 4 foot deep potholes between San Pedro and say where we are... solution for that??? Uh, gee, I dunno... take a boat?)
Posted By: krehfish Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 01:19 PM
SF: Wouldn't an "AC Trailer park" like the spot next to Victoria House fit into the progression. And by the way, where in Belize is there a pristine blacktop road?
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 02:05 PM
Reaper, thanks for your input, I myself grew up in Pasadena, Calif, moved to Florida 13 years ago.
Catalina is a great place, but last time I was there, I was very disappointed, as it did come to be a tourist mess. I remember going over there with friends, by boat, visiting the Casino, on the point, wonderful, now a t shirt and junk souvenir hell hole.
I do not want the North to become that way either, as to bridge, well lets forget the bridge idea, not worth comparing the 2, and yes the North is pristine, and should be developed in the way to maintain the area.
Next, in response to workers having to move north, I believe that is happening, with small bungalows for them now. A paved road is not the answer, but a good graded road, maintained by those who want it, will do fine, maybe having some sort of pass for those who help in keeping it that way, the rest would have to pay a fair price to use it part of the time. Commercial vehicles, maybe use it during certain hours of the day, again with a price to pay, that way, they would still have a choice, boat, barge, or road, also a stiff fine for all vehicles, including carts for caught speeding. Sometimes, I think, if a proper speed limit, the trucks will help with packing down the ground, thus keeping it from washing it away. What do you think will happen when the development starts and people want to build , second, third or forth row lots, those trucks will have to be able to deliver the material to the site. I know the beachfront owners will complain, but will have to live with that, as they can not stop it, no matter what. Please keep the dialogue going, we might be on right track,and we might come up with a solution.
Thanks, concerned future developer of my 6 lots, maybe.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 03:17 PM
OMG Corona. I sure hope you move to Belize soon and stop voting here.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 03:57 PM
Khrefish... I'm afraid that Marty would have to politely delete any thought I might post on the development south of V.H. ...he's a busy enough guy as it is, so let's leave it at that.

C. Steve, you use three words with respect to "the road", the definitions of which can be varying: "good", "graded" and "maintained". A friend of mind has a road to his house in Cayo, about which he PROUDLY exclaimed "This is a LOT better than it used to be? Pretty good eh?" It IS and he IS right, but you could still lose a Geo Metro in it. "Graded"??? OK... Let's see... I'll give this road a B-, as I still have 4 wheels, 2 axles and most of my fillings... and "maintained"... Well, unlike say a outboard lower unit, at least it'd be tough for someone to make off with a road... 'suppose that's maintainence... let's get our feet wet maintaining the 10-odd newly paved blocks in town first perhaps...

You do allude to something though which is a BRILLIANT idea, on which I am going to take the ball and run with first thing this am... as soon as I am done with this cup of coffee... "Privatization!!!" Why rely upon the Gov. or town to do something that the private sector could do better and that ya can make a buck at!!! (Uh, by private I'm not talking about the community of concerned land owners at large or such, I'm just talking about me and a few pals.) So here's the idea... "Fractional Road Ownership!!!" Buyers would swarm to the idea, lured by attractive "pre-construction" prices. With enough pre-construction sales, I'm sure I could have the thing started in 6 months time... well, maybe 8... Buyers would proudly OWN a piece of the Caribbean (albeit a paved piece but it would still be luxurious, all smooth with say conch shell dividers and reflectors and such.) And think of the return on investment from tolls and Ez-passes!!! (buyer's ROI of course not guaranteed, and subject to monthly maint. charges.) Amanda, will you list this? What a fool I've been... a complete buffoon what toiling away at this "resort" when for a fraction of the start up cost and say a good used Blaw Knox PF-5510 paving machine, I could be cruising down easy street, paving it as I go. "What's that??? Oh... The Blaw Knox paver won't start this morning... Uh... can you call and see if Cal can come up and fix it???!!!"
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 04:10 PM
Soon, very soon, San Pedro Town, as much as I love it, will be the industrial/business end of the island, which it is currently heading towards. Tractor trailers, dump trucks, block factories, etc... They are all here and more are coming. A lot of building is going on up north, which will be the "zona viva" or nice part of the island, shops, restaurants, hotels, condos, etc....

Can't stop it so enjoy it or head for the Corn Islands.

Jeff, I need to get in touch regarding Belizean Entertainment.

SIN
Posted By: reaper Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 04:11 PM
After we buy shares in your road, will Sir Ashcroft or Mr. Prosser be buying it from us, and what will be our ROI? cool
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/05/05 10:12 PM
the path up north will go farther as development requires.so let the developers build the roads at there expence. if they want to invest in property in the middle of nowhere, and have no road to access it, then they should build the road themselves, just as the existing resorts, houses, condo's etc. have already done. after all it is not a "road" anyway, it's just a well traveled path that over time got wider. oh yea and deeper in some spots. laugh
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 11:11 AM
I bet if we took a poll we would find out the visitors to AC do not want a road. The main draw to the north end right now is because they DON'T have a road. They enjoy the peace and quiet. Now you might criticize and say that it's the hotel owners etc improving the island, but don't forget it's the visitors that come and bring money and leave their money that AC exists as it does today. eek
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 01:58 PM
Enough, when the power comes to my property, so will the so called road, and after that, so will more development, and the roads will improve, by either the property owners of both homes and resorts. I will be working on those who bought prop. in our development, to help improvments in our division. That is where I will put my efforts to.
Danny, why don't you start the poll, and get some feed back, from both, since you brought it up.
Maybe try and have those who reply, state their position, visitor, land owner, full time resident.
Some day, I hope to meet all who have taken time to discuss this and other issues concerning all of AC, including party on bridge naming in Feb.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 02:15 PM
There you go...trying to herd cats again
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 03:47 PM
Well DANNY?....tee hehe.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 04:08 PM
Most of what I read, tells me to not respond anymore.
This is for turist for most part, and wanna beeeeees.
Done, wrong place to discuss.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 05:16 PM
Hi Corona Steve

Have you seen the Habaneros subdivision lately? I was up there last week and it is developing quickly. There is a condo project and a number of private homes/villas as well as the hotel. Habaneros is not the "end of the world."

However, I know I wouldn't want to drive a golf cart/mule/whatever type of vehicle for the hour and a half or so it will take to get there by road.

Boat is going to be the way to go for the next 20 years or so - the sheer cost of a road is so prohibitive and non-sensicle - it is not going to happen any time soon.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 07:46 PM
Amanda
3 times this year, and the Condo unit, is also a close friend. Brightwaters Beach Resort. Also rented a plane, and flew over it.
Will be back again in Nov. Have 6 lots behind project, 2 2nd row, and 4 3rd lots. All together we have about 10 acres.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 08:48 PM
Habaneros???!!! I thought this thread was talking about building a decent road going north up to, I dunno... Coco Loco perhaps!!! THAT 'might' happen sometime 'soon'. But a road to Habaneros??? Who's kidding who...
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/06/05 10:07 PM
Somebody is kidding somebody. I don't know who but somebody is really kidding somebody. I don't think there will be a road to Habaneros in my lifetime.......and I'm a young chick.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 03:33 PM
Young chick, hope you live a real long time, with a chat room name of Malibu, are you a Cal chick, living in the valley
I am still in.
Read poll
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 04:19 PM
I am a young chick living in Houston. I have a taste for Malibu Rum.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 04:20 PM
Ohhhhhh!!! I love it when that happens! I am at the top baby! Yipee!!!!!!!! laugh
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 04:22 PM
Not for long.
Try Belikin
See how long you can stay on top
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 04:54 PM
At the top, not ON top!

...........rasberry...........
Posted By: klcman Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 05:10 PM
Corona Steve

Member # 7891

posted 10-06-2005 09:08 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most of what I read, tells me to not respond anymore.
This is for turist for most part, and wanna beeeeees.
Done, wrong place to discuss.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 05:19 PM
yep - that's the stuff I was talkin' bout - yet he keeps comin baack for more and we keep givin it to him - I'm ready to join the "Do not feed the troll" camp . . .
Posted By: klcman Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 05:28 PM
I'm done too law - let's go have some liquid but NODAMNEDICEORWATER!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 05:58 PM
It's Friday - I'm IN! no plastic cups noiceorwaterdamit! your place or ours?
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 07:04 PM
Me too me too!!!! laugh
Posted By: klcman Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 11:04 PM
yours - its warmer! Malibu can partake as well!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 11:29 PM
Whattaboutme? Idonlikenodamniceerwater.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Roads up North - 10/07/05 11:54 PM
E - you need no invitation - drop in anytime - I keep plastic cups on hand just for you!

Bosses already left here - we're callin in quits in about 15 minutes and headin' out - k, e & mal: meet us for margaritas at my place - sunny and a warm 85 as we type wink
Posted By: boricua Re: Roads up North - 10/11/05 11:35 PM
give it up corona steve,these people are in denial.work towards your goal of seeing a decent access road up north,I wish you all the success and hope someday to be part of the group who have a vision and dont let the naysayers divert them from their goals and dreams.they are the old and the obstructionist who have theirs and would keep you and everyone else out of the picture,
Posted By: seashell Re: Roads up North - 10/12/05 01:23 AM
I'm afraid it is you and Corona Steve that are in denial.

boricua, did you ever go and look at your property, either before you purchased as advised, or since your purchase? In the rainy season?
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/12/05 01:49 AM
SPEAKING OF RAINY SEASON, COULD SOMEONE THERE TELL ME ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THE ROAD FROM THE CUT TO ABOUT WHITE SANDS? I WILL BE THERE ON OCT 22 AND AM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD RENT A CART OR TAKE THE WATER TAXI. I'VE BEEN THERE WHEN THE ROADS WERE WET BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO USE AN OUTBOARD MOTOR TO GET MY CART THRU THE WATER. eek
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/12/05 02:32 PM
Seashell
I did a lot of research before I purchased the property, and I call it, location, location, location. and yes, have been to property before I bought, and twice after I purchased it.
The area is just north of Blue Reef, and will get power in a few months. I also look forward to being part of the North, and hope I can contribute to the safe and controlled development.
Your turn to give me a little insight into whether you own property, and how you would proceed, or would like to see the North look like. Enough said on this road subject for now.
Thanks to all those who support me.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 10/12/05 03:47 PM
Everyone thinks of rainy season and nothing but months of pouring down rain, winds, hail, snow and everything else. In all actuality, the rainy season can be nice and refreshing.

I've been on the caye about 10-15 times during rainy season and guess what? Only once did it rain and that was for about 15 minutes and was very welcomed. eek

Personally 2 miles, I'd take a water taxi. I am assuming you meant upon your arrival and stepping off tropic or maya, then rent a cart? Unless you plan on using the cart a lot, then it might be worth it. shrug... eek
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/12/05 09:49 PM
DENNY, I HAVE ALWAYS RENTED A CART, (CHOLO'S WILL PICK ME UP AT AIRPORT) BUT WAS WONDERING JUST HOW BAD THE ROAD IS NOW. IF IT IS REAL BAD THAN I WOULD TAKE A TAXI FROM TROPIC TO FIDOS AND ISLAND FERRY TO MY CONDO. BUT I HAVE A LOT OF STUFF I'M BRINGING DOWN AND A LOT TO DO IN TOWN SO IT WOULD BE BETTER TO JUST RENT A CART IF THE ROADS ARE PASSABLE. confused
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator Re: Roads up North - 10/12/05 11:02 PM
HEY TWO MILES!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME??!!!??!!!! wink
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 04:53 PM
I got some e-mails (I'm in the states right now) from my northern neighbors saying the road from the pull ferry past Reef Village is underwater.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 04:56 PM
Old news
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 06:31 PM
Ya'll need one of these:

[Linked Image]

1970 Cushman Trackster - it floats too!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 07:39 PM
It doesn't do well in deep mud though...
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 09:00 PM
I wonder how it would do on AC (salt/sand)? Had one in upstate NY, pretty much unstopable.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 09:08 PM
There was one on a ranch in Kona, Hawaii. Didn't do well at all! Became a "Shop Queen".
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 09:16 PM
Looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, so it must be a duck
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 09:55 PM
CAT MO, I'M NOT YELLING!! i just never took a typeing class. SIN, HOW MUCH TO RENT FOR A WEEK? WELL MAYBE I'LL JUST HAVE TO BUY A BOAT. HOW ABOUT A JET SKI WILL IT MAKE IT THRU?? laugh SCUBALDY, HAS REEF VILLAGE FIXED THE ROAD PAST YOUR PLACE YET?
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 10:00 PM
CORONA, HANDS OFF THE DUCK THING, THAT BELONGS TO CAPT JEFF. YOU MESS WITH HIM AND YOU GOT PROBLEMS. SENTENCE HIM DENNY!! mad
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 10/13/05 11:14 PM
Ya'll need some ludes man!
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 10/14/05 12:10 AM
It'll take me a day to find my old black robe. I'll be back tomorrow. Maybe we'll see a change of heart. eek
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Roads up North - 10/15/05 07:56 AM
Jesse - It may be old news to you but it new news again.

2 miles - No Reef Village has not fixed the road. I understand it is a combination of the rains and the tides. I have always been told the tides are highest in October.

If I were there I would take pictures but my neighbors are telling me they need to keep cutting through my back yard.
eek
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/15/05 10:26 AM
THANKS SCUBA, I GUESS THEN I WILL ALSO HAVE TO CUT THROUGH YOUR BACK YARD NEXT SATURDAY. SORRY frown (UNLESS I CAN GET A HOLD OF THAT CUSHMAN TRACKSTER THAT SIN WAS RECOMENDING). laugh
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Roads up North - 10/15/05 08:22 PM
Why not??? Everyone else does. Maybe I should put in a toll gate and start charging. Maybe pay a bone for each of my dogs to NOT have them chase you. :p
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/16/05 02:56 PM
Scuba, i'll just have to steal a few bones from our two sheepdogs supply and pack them in my suit case. should i just toss them one while they are biting the tires on my cart? smile
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Roads up North - 10/17/05 06:48 PM
ha ha

Jutt got back from up north, about 6 miles up.

The road is very bad and would not suggest driving past the Palapa Bar until we get a good week of constant sunshine and very little to no rain.

The road from the ferry to Reef Village is a few inches under water but passable. Some opt. to take a detour at the sign that say "Detour - Coco Locos" hmmm........ to avoid some of this.

Behind El Pescador is bad and behind Capricorn is reall bad, I was really suprised to get through in the old bucket I was in.

After all that has been said, the first building at Reef Village is coming along realy nice (As I noticed in passing). Beautiful looking structure. Wish them all luck in developing the area!! It's never an easy thing to do here.

SIN
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Roads up North - 10/17/05 09:42 PM
Damn sin, I need to go a little bit past the palapa to just passed where the houses with the new cement walls along the road are. I know the road there is always bad even when it's dry. so i think i'll give it a try. (That is if that "wilma" bitch doesn't blow everything around!!!) eek
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 10/17/05 10:13 PM
I'm curious as to if the new resort going up on the north not far from JE and owned by the same people are going front to back and taken care of the road? (meaning done away with it) eek

There should be a law enacted where that road is concerned that new property owners, irreguardless, of how much land is purchased it's their responsibility to maintain a roadway going thru their property, free of charge. eek
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/17/05 10:55 PM
That's been in effect for years now. The only problem property is Journey's End as they were developed before a road right-of-way was planned.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Roads up North - 10/17/05 11:53 PM
Then I am assuming the new resort they are building will not be grand-fathered in and will have to adhere?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/17/05 11:55 PM
Hopefully so...
Posted By: J9rancher Re: Roads up North - 10/18/05 10:37 AM
The last time I saw Reef Village they had just started a second building. Is that progressing? Is the dredging still stopped?
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/26/05 05:17 PM
I am Back in town, Florida, that is, from Vegas & L.A. Both places have lost control of De., and way over crouded. Should be in SP sometine in Nov.
In last week or so, many people have questioned the path (road) condition going North.
Looks like quite a few are concerned, maybe it is time to bring back the road issue for discussion. Time to jump in, as well as construction on Bridge progress.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Roads up North - 10/26/05 06:01 PM
Why? It's been done to death.
Posted By: Corona Steve Re: Roads up North - 10/26/05 07:30 PM
O.K.
No more from this side.
Will work it from within, when in town (SP)
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Roads up North - 10/26/05 07:37 PM
Thanks Steve.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board