2 5-ounce cans (1-1/3 cups) evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 teaspoons vanilla
Pomegranate seeds (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degree F.

To caramelize sugar, melt the 1-1/3 cups sugar in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat, shaking the skillet occasionally. When the sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until sugar is golden brown. Remove skillet from heat; immediately pour the caramelized sugar into eight ungreased 6-ounce custard cups. Holding cups with pot holders, quickly tilt to evenly coat bottoms of cups.

Place cups in two 2-quart square baking dishes. Stir together eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, the 1/2 cup sugar, pumpkin pie spice, orange peel, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Pour the pumpkin mixture over caramelized sugar in cups. Place the baking dishes on the oven rack. Pour boiling water into the baking dishes around cups to a depth of 1 inch.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Remove cups from water. Cool slightly on wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.

To serve, loosen edges of custards with a knife, slipping the point of a knife down the sides to let in air. Invert a dessert plate over each custard, turn cup and plate over together. Scrape the caramelized sugar that remains in cup onto the custard. If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds. Makes 8 servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 294; total fat: 7g; saturated fat: 3g; cholesterol: 170mg; sodium: 88mg; carbohydrate: 52g; fiber: 1g; protein: 8g; vitamin A: 209%; vitamin C: 6%; iron: 8%
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/12/05 05:43 PM
Hey! Its high in Vitamin A!!!! (makes it easy to read your batroom scale)
Posted By: klcman Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/12/05 05:54 PM
are you making it for all of us, or hoping someone brings it to you?
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/12/05 09:35 PM
Sin, Have you made it before? I am an excellent cook, can't bake for s--t. How easy is it?
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/12/05 10:17 PM
Similar to flan, you can do it in a small cake pan also.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/13/05 03:41 PM
looks gooooooooooooooooood!
Posted By: HavinFun Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/13/05 06:51 PM
To the Bat Cave, Robin, quick jump on the batroom scale laugh laugh laugh

Sorry, SIN, couldn't resist - now I'll be plagued with typos for being mean!
Posted By: Windjammer Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/13/05 06:54 PM
Debbie, you could make me one! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/14/05 05:49 AM
I have a very similar receipe which is excellent and am excited to try this one tomorrow. THANKS.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/14/05 05:52 AM
oh darn it, I forgot tomorrow I have also promised to make choc. chip cookies so I guess it is baking day.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Pumpkin Crème Caramel - 11/14/05 09:11 PM
ha ha ha, I like it!

You go Betty Crocker!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board