AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Digital Camera - 01/15/06 02:08 AM
I'm on my third digital camera and still not satisfied with the results. Getting ready for a 30 day stay on the Island and would like some suggestions as to a good all around digital.
Posted By: Or Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 02:29 AM
i have the Canon PowerShot SD400 and love it. the sony's shutter shoots faster but it is a little larger and costs more.
Posted By: sherlockdog Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 02:34 AM
which ones did you not like so we don't buy them, or list them.
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 02:35 AM
I;m currentlyusing an Olympus C770 uZ and love it too.

You'll find opinions on digi cams to be like belly buttons.
Posted By: Marty Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 04:24 AM
have used many, now using minolta a2
really like it. can only get them reconditioned. they put too many good parts in this lil baby and put out a new model a200, not NEAR as good.

did a lot of research before getting it. viewfinder is wywiwyg, priceless. high rez viewfinder even.
Posted By: Richard Chambers Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 03:13 PM
I'm inclined to agree with the Canon Power shot sd400 for an affordable camera with supurb qualities. After seeing Kristykins' pics on this board with her sd300! I'm about to make the same move for the sd4oo or sd450. :p
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 03:29 PM
I use a Kodak DX4530. But what I have discovered is that it really isn't the make of your camera but the megapixels it takes. They go from 3 to 8. The higher the megapixel the better the finished product, irregardless of make or model.

The cam I have is a 8 and I couldn't ask for a better pic. eek
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 03:37 PM
and if ya got tons of $$, you can go higher than that, Canon's Eos1Ds is a whopping 16.7 and Hasselblad & mamiya have a 22 megapix model

whatever you buy, watch for shutter lag - some models are much slower than others.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 04:50 PM
ah... maybe I need to get out more and look at the newer cams.

slow can be good klc. eek
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 05:05 PM
even if ya go out, have lunch and look around, by the time ya get home, they'll be outdated wink

sorry about your lag D laugh
Posted By: Chloe Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 05:28 PM
This topic, reminded me to take out the new camera I received last Mother's Day. About time I learn to use it. Olymus - camedia digital.
Then I too can persue the upgrade models. Ha!
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 05:32 PM
get with it OWO !
Posted By: Chloe Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 05:35 PM
I'll start with basic manual in ENGLISH?
Posted By: Chloe Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 05:58 PM
Excellent shots, great detail. Make Posters.

I have almost the same shot of a hibiscus (sp) blown up to poster size and framed. Lovely.

One can count the hairs on that tarantula.

Love the simply one of a dory.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 07:07 PM
Great pics! Almost thought I was sitting there! eek
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 07:14 PM
OWO - get going - u 2 can be make photos of hairy tarantulas in Englias or Francois or Espanol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 09:09 PM
very nice - brings back that San Pedro feeling smile
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 09:35 PM
GOOD EYE! Don't forget a lot of the results depends on your settings. Opt for the highest resolution possible and take at least two if not three of everything. Once you download them into your computer you can choose the best shot and do a lot enhancing. Just remember, it takes a lot of time.
Posted By: Richard Chambers Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 10:18 PM
Anyone looking for a good "free" software tool for photo processing might try "Picasa2" downloadable free from google.Handy for pics tweeking and folder handling. Been using it since available and am super pleased. :p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Digital Camera - 01/15/06 11:20 PM
Depends what exactly you have a problem with. The more basic the camera the more limited it is, and the more you have to make allowances in how you use it. But if it's just graininess then a higher Mp camera should help, assuming the lens, metering and focussing are good. You can get results with a $500 camera as good as with a $5000 one, given the right circumstances.
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/16/06 12:34 AM
Exactly.

Knowledge of the box is most important.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Digital Camera - 01/16/06 03:17 AM
I bought a camera at the dive industry trade show for $299 and it is now selling for $398 (with extras. 11 megs PLUS up to 160 minutes of video.
I gave this to my daughter and she loves it. They said they would have a housing for it very cheap - very soon. Here are the details.
http://www.supacam.com/specs.htm

The DVX took Siggraph (regarded as the best Tech Fest) by storm this August '05. Shoot Photos (with a built in flash) at up to 11 MegaPixel resolution - the same quality of many high end dedicated stills cameras. When it comes to shooting video, the DVX offers DVD MPEG4 resolution (640x480 pixels) High quality 30 frames per second Video. And now you can use the DVX to record video from DVDs and TV! Every cable you need is in the box.

The Camera even has a low light facility. With a built in MP3 player, free Editing software and 6 hours of battery life. For Windows 98SE, ME,2000, XP and Mac.
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/16/06 03:41 AM
does it cook & do windows? wink
Posted By: Marty Re: Digital Camera - 01/16/06 06:19 AM
tag- killer pics. iffayawanna send me some for the pic of the day and the wallpaper sections...

i like high rez ones!!
Posted By: Arizonarat Re: Digital Camera - 01/16/06 08:49 AM
Great pics- I will be there next month, hopefully I can do just as good as you!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Digital Camera - 01/16/06 03:24 PM
I got a private message asking me for my recommendation, so I'm going to answer here.
It depend on if you are happy with totally automatic or if you want to be able to choose your shutter speeds and f stops (SLR - single lens reflex).
If you want totally automatic then simply find the mega pixel size you want and the price you are willing to pay. I had a Kodak 4 meg that I loved. It lasted 3 years here in this humid salty environment. It fit my hand and my pocket nicely.
Do you want to be able to make prints larger than 4 x 6"? Anything over 4 megs will give you everything you need for e-mail, CD's and up to about 8 x 10" prints.
If you are doing anything more than this then you probably want something you have more control over = SLR Control costs money!!! I did a lot of research and choose the Nikon D70.
I shoot in RAW which gives me the options that we used to have in choosing film - indoor, outdoor, incandescent, florescent, bright sun, shade, etc. By shooting in RAW, when I download, I can choose one of the above.
Advantage - lots of control.
Disadvantage - lots of time
It's kind of like a relationship - find one that suits you. You need to go out and hold them in your hand before you make the commitment.
laugh
Posted By: IRM Re: Digital Camera - 01/16/06 04:47 PM
I use a Canon S70 and it takes great pics. A friend of mine just bought the S80. It's a little smaller and has a few more features. Here are my links to BZ pics taken with the S70.

http://www.moandirm.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=15
http://www.moandirm.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=14

Check out these cam review sites.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.megapixel.net/html/reviews.php
Posted By: Kristykins Re: Digital Camera - 01/17/06 06:45 PM
Maybe I'm biased, but I've owned 3 Canon's in my lifetime, and ABSOLUTLY love each of them. And they've been through war & back, believe me. They've been dropped, stepped on, through airplanes & back, you name it.

They're great cameras, user friendly, & they take great photos.

On January 25th, I will be the proud owner of a Canon 20D Digital SLR. Counting down the days wink
Posted By: klcman Re: Digital Camera - 01/17/06 11:18 PM
Sweet rig!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Digital Camera - 01/17/06 11:32 PM
Well, I just bought a Minolta A2. I'll let you all know how I like it. I'm bringing it down to AC the end of the month. I'll have to get ScubaLdy to show me how to use it wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board