AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: klcman OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 12:28 AM
Just opened a bottle of Trois Rivieres, Réserve Spéciale, that a friend brought back from Martinique, knowing how much I enjoy trying different rums.

I dunno if it's because I have not eaten much today, but I'm 2/3 way through the first drink (yes Law, with 7 wink ) and this stuff is kicking my butt!

Anyone else ever tried it?
Posted By: deacon+ Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 12:50 AM
Klcman, rum is a favorite of mine as well. What kind is it. Light, dark, or medium.
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 03:15 AM
Dark
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 04:05 AM
K, only coconut rum goes with 7. Perhaps you should have considered a bite of dinner along with those drinks- and 2/3 of the way through the bottle, what did you expect! :p
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 04:23 AM
Best rum in the world comes from what country?
Posted By: deacon+ Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 04:47 AM
China? Switzerland? Canada? Belize, yah that"s the one.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 10:21 AM
Jamaica
Posted By: J DOG Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 10:44 AM
Barbancourt Haiti 12 yr. old dark Rum is my favorite!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 11:27 AM
Cuba
Posted By: Seachange Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 11:51 AM
law, not to get all technical on you, but I believe klc said two thirds thru the drink, not the bottle...I like the haiti stuff too, also, not really rum, but there is some brazilian stuff that they use to make brazilian mojitos..don't immediately recall the correct portugese words, but very tasty.. smile
Posted By: Bobber Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 01:52 PM
Never have run across it, but definitely will now wink Sometimes having your butt kicked is much nicer than other times. What the heck is the "7" reference? I do hope your are not adulterating a fine beverage.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 02:08 PM
I'm guessing 7 up. The FDA permits industry to adulterate many of the foods and beverages that we consume, so I'm in favor of self adulteration.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 02:44 PM
seachange - if you saw the way k poors drinks, you'd know it's the same thing! laugh
Good guess there, Dog. You are always right, you are never wrong!
Bobber, coconut rum and 7 up - it's called a California Girl. Yum!
Posted By: Bobber Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 02:47 PM
California girl? and Yum? In the same sentence. My God, what is the world coming to? :p

Whoops, guess the yum was a separate item. Sorry.

Adulterate away, me hearties. What did they do 200 years ago?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 03:46 PM
SIN, Belize? Do I get a prize??

klc, that rum sounds great! Bring the bottle to Belize and I'll meet ya there! wink
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 04:33 PM
L knows me pretty well, Seachg wink

The "7" reference as SDP so ably pointed out to Bobber is 7up, the diet version, and it was a joke NO ONE puts 7 in rum, except the Coconut version......this stuff is/was just great kicka** sipping booze.

SIN - based upon your selection of Scotch, I'm not sure you have standing relative to defining great alcohol brands laugh

Also on the same page with Law - I love my Cuban rum. Drained the last a few nights ago frown anybody headed there soon?

By the time I get back there TQ, it will be LONGGGG gone. Sorry ( but not too laugh )
Posted By: Hon Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 06:46 PM
How close are you to Nova Scotia? The last time we visited friends in Cape Breton, they forced me to drink Havana Club (Gold maybe? confused I can't remember) Since they hadn't been to Cuba, my guess is that they bought it at the local liquor store.

I don't like most rum so I don't know if it was 'good' but it was definitely drinkable.
Posted By: Nova Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 07:01 PM
Hey Hon, Havana Club is a premium Cuban rum and available at any liquor store - holler if you want some!
Posted By: Hon Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 07:42 PM
novascotianuts, I was asking on behalf of klcman, who lives in Maine. But in looking at a map, I see that Maine borders with New Brunswick not Nova Scotia as I originally thought.

I'm pretty sure that one can get Cuban rum anywhere in Canada...if one wanted the stuff, that is.
Posted By: Nova Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 07:51 PM
I hear you, not my cuppa eithor. Now a good single malt Scotch, that's another story!
Posted By: DB Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 08:11 PM
Seachange-
I believe that stuff is called Cachaca a cousin to Rum, made from distilling sugar cane vs. molasses. They use it to make the signature Brazilian drink Caparhinias much like a Mojito.

Yum! laugh
Posted By: Seachange Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 09:13 PM
I get it KLC...your glass is very large!
DB, thanks, I just googled it because it was kind of nagging at me...

"Fundamentally similar to the Mojito is the Brazilian sensation, the CAIPIRINHA (pronounced "kuy-per-REEN-yah"). It is a marvelously delicious drink served in a bucket or tumbler and made with simple syrup and a quartered lime, both of which are strenuously muddled. The driving force behind this classic cocktail is cacha�a, a clear Brazilian spirit produced from sugar cane. Use between 2 and 3 ounces of cacha�a, add ice and garnish with a fresh lime wedge."
...and, since the drink can be "served in a bucket", it might be ideal for KLC! And since it is "strenuously muddled" it is also perfect for my temperament.
Cheers.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 09:42 PM
Hang on a minute. Law, MALIBU rum with 7? Really? My name ain't MALIBU because I live in Cali. Is that really good?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 09:45 PM
Hey, Mal!
Long time no see, girl. Yep! Add a twist of lime, it's called a California Girl and it's yum - eeee!
I use Malibu when I don't have any Belize coconut rum left and Diet 7Up is my preference. Let me know what you think.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 09:46 PM
Caparhinias are yummie when you are out, like at Fogo de Chao (double YUM) but I tried to make them at home and icky! Tried 2 different types of Cachaca. It was really bad.
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 09:51 PM
Yup Sea, got a big glass, often!

5 yr old Havana Club Gold is my fav Cuban rum without a doubt. Never thought about it possibly being available up the road! Hmmmm ... make need to make a road trip this fall ( about 4 hours to the border Hon). But, with my luck, the border dudes would confiscate it!

And a GOOD Single malt is unbeatable, though I usually reserve that for those cool winter nights and save the rum for summer laugh

Anyone ever been in Heathrow departure lounge and sat for hours (this is one time when you don't mind your flight being delayed !!) at the bar in the Scotch store, sampling all the goodies?
Posted By: MALIBU Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 10:17 PM
Howdy law!!! I've been working too hard as usual, no time to post. I will try the 7up. But no-can-do on the diet. Take care!
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 10:53 PM
Ok people we have a serious problem here in New Jersey. I ordered two bottles of one barrel rum from hitimewine.com last night. today I got an email from them saying that they no longer ship to my area mad I'M OUT! mad any suggestions on where to get it in the USA? HUMMMM, Maybe Capt Jeff has some hidden away confused any help would be appreciated. going thru withdrawal already frown
Posted By: Nova Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 10:58 PM
klcman - thanks for the tip - flying into (and out of)Heathrow next May, will have to head to the airport a little early! Also, going to try and visit (comedian) Billy Connolly's distillery in Scotland a time or two, heard it's a blast.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 11:01 PM
2miles - got plenty at my house (ah, the joys of traveling with a non-drinker, double the limits!)
Feel free to pop by for a drink!
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/19/06 11:09 PM
Hey 2M - mebbe your water taxi fare from the Bay Area just got resolved!
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:10 AM
hell klc and law, If I have to go to san pedro to pick up the boat to take it to cali, I think the problem will be solved anyway.hummmmm, I just got an idea, note to self check on airline ticket prices. smile
Posted By: Bobber Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:21 AM
OK, back on line. Sitting here with my Stoli martini and contemplating this "California Girl" thing. No doubt, in an odd mood somewhere, I will try one. Does it require one of those little paper umbrellas? If so, no dice.
Posted By: deacon+ Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:25 AM
Bobber, heak it comes with 5 fruits, an umbrella, and a straw. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:31 AM
no umbrella, no fruit assortment, no straws.
Coconut rum, 7up (diet please, if it's for me) and a twist of lime. I do understand that it might feel a bit awkward for you manly men to walk into a bar and ask for a California Girl, but if you're in CA, who knows, you might get lucky! wink
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:32 AM
I'm willing to wager a considerable sum that the foo-foo thing does not work with these gals Bobber!

( edit for missing NOT - rum working again :p )
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:33 AM
hah - she posted right in front of me!
Posted By: Bobber Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:35 AM
I would feel more uncomfortable asking for a diet 7 up. but for you, Law, I would swallow my pride (but nothing diet). :p
For manly men, a Stoli martini please, very dry, straight up, and in a dirty glass if you have one.
laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 12:48 AM
Okay gang - I'm headed out to make myself a couple of these, in a very clean glass. Enjoy your evening. smile
Oh, and if someone has a bit of free time, could you make our dear Pedro 1 over on the other thread a drink - anything, as long as it's strong! wink
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 03:17 AM
Platinum = Ron Zacapa from believe it or not, Guatamala. Wins the prized Platinum every year in Barbados.

Gold = One Barrel Rum. Yeah!

SIN
Posted By: DB Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 05:22 AM
Malibu,
Keep tryin' the Caparhinia thing... no such thing as a bad one. They get better as you go, no matter how you make 'em!!!
laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: seashell Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 05:34 AM
Yeah, Havana Club. I'm not even a rum drinker and I like that stuff.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 01:53 PM
&nbsp Hi all,

You know the old saying "to the pessimist, the glass is 2/3 empty, to the optimist, the glass is 1/3 full, whild the rum drinker starts looking for a refill".

&nbsp &nbsp Dan
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 02:00 PM
&nbsp Hi klcman ,

ask Ed Hamilton at the Ministry of Rum . He's probably the importer.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 02:42 PM
Hello, Dan.
How goes the rum import business?
By the way, does your computer have a cold? It seems to be sneezing! smile
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/20/06 04:36 PM
hahahahahaha
Posted By: Littleengine Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/22/06 03:16 PM
LOL Would anyone curse me too loudly if I admitted that I'm not much of a rum drinker (though those rum punches made with that white rum... Caribbean, I think it was, were pretty good)... and the pint of One Barrel I brought back with me last October is still sitting, unopened, at my "bar". laugh

Anyone who's in the neighbourhood (Toronto) feel free to stop by and help yourself. LOL
Posted By: klcman Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/22/06 04:16 PM
I have some friends headed this way from Toronto area, I'd be glad to take it off your hands!
Posted By: Hon Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/22/06 04:29 PM
Sold for the asking price in less than an hour. Eat your heart out ebay laugh
Posted By: Littleengine Re: OK You Rum Connoisseurs - 07/22/06 09:07 PM
LOL That was fast. I'll have to bring a few more back this time.... if I work it right, I could finance my next trip. LOL
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board