AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: klcman Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 03:47 PM
http://ribbonsofhighway.blogspot.com/2006/11/belize-little-capsaicin-with-our.html
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 04:04 PM
cute story, klc. Was introduced this past summer to a truly evil little pepper called a Scotch Bonnet by a local NJ farmer. almost similar happenstance. YOOOOOWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE were those babies HOT! eek
Posted By: JZB Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 04:32 PM
I believe Scotch bonnetts and Habaneros are one in the same, just depends on where they come from. At least the scotch bonnets in Jamaica look and taste exactly the same as the habaneros here.
Posted By: Scuba-John Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 04:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero_chile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

it allabout the scovilles baby.

I myself enjoy all the peppers.
For Immissing. In San Marcos the cafe next to the Green Parrot makes a fantastic southwestern omlett. Chilies and all it the perfect sunday morning feast!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 05:26 PM
Nope, scotch bonnetts and habaneros are not the same thing.
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 05:45 PM
Nothing did any good. At 9 p.m. I ran into San Pedro Town, desperate for help. I found an open pharmacy and told the clerk, in my limited Spanish, about the dinner disaster and the mean, mean peppers. The pharmacist identified them. "Si, habaneros."

Anybody else see something odd in this paragraph from the story?
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 05:58 PM
the pharmacy was actually open at 9pm? the guy didn't just speak english??? there is no ~ on your keyboard? no body "runs" in Sp?

i give up?
Posted By: iluvbelize Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 06:03 PM
Scotch bonnets and habaneros really are the same species of chile. They are shaped and colored differently depending on where they have been grown, which genetically determines their shape/color outcome.
Posted By: JZB Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 06:56 PM
"The Scotch bonnet is often compared to the habanero since they are two varieties of the same species but have different pod types. Both the Scotch bonnet and the habanero have the characteristic thin, waxy flesh. They have a similar heat level and flavor. Although both varieties average around the same level of heat, the actual degree of "heat" varies greatly with genetics, growing methods, climate, and plant stress." from Wikipedia.

So now I know they are different, but still don't know what the difference is. (they look the same on wikipedia) I'll stick to jalepenos anyway.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:06 PM
at least jalepenos are edible, those other dam* things should be used at Git Mo! One rectal dose of that oughta do it! (Uh oh...can o' worms?) wink laugh
Posted By: iluvbelize Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:09 PM
Yikes Rycat! Habanero's rule. A day without habaneros is like a day without sunshine. Marie Sharp's XXX Habanero sauce is the best.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:15 PM
that's different, watered down stuff I mean fresh right out of the garden, need surgical loves just to handle! eek
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:30 PM
no joke on the gloves - I've used fresh habaneros a couple times making jerk - I wore gloves while mincing them
Posted By: klcman Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:36 PM
Never ever be munching a freshly sliced/tomato/habanero/queso blanco cracker combo while you are sweating and decide to wipe the sweat off your brow/out of eyes.
Posted By: Scuba-John Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:36 PM
laws right dont forget the gloves, and don touch anything you dont want to have burning second latter. Like you eyes!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:39 PM
A friend out at Lamanai went and took a leak right after handling a bunch of Habaneros and without washing his hands first. Had to feel a bit sorry for him but it really was funnier than hell!
Posted By: Scuba-John Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:44 PM
SimonB,
That was my second line but I left it of fear of the better half of the board has no woking knowledge about those type of things personally.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:53 PM
I enjoy watching islanders enjoy a plate of food while biting on a fresh habanero in between mouthfulls of food. I can't handle that yet. Marie Sharpe's is the gal for me. The only other woman allowed in my kitchen. I have to take a few bottles with me while traveling.

So why is it that tropical climates indulge is heat while the colder regions tend to enjoy bland foods?

SIN
Posted By: JZB Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 07:59 PM
Probably 'cause when you feel like you are burning at 200 degrees on the inside the beating down 95 degree sun on the outside feels cool and refreshing. smile
Posted By: divingcowgirl Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 08:30 PM
Simon,... my ex did the same thing after cutting up a bunch of jalapenos for pico de gallo....
It was a funny sight watching him squirm and wiggle around. He did get smart and use gloves every time after that!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 08:34 PM
been there, done that with the jalapenos. I don't wear gloves for those. Made a batch of salsa, hopped in the shower, the more sensitive parts of me were not happy. shocked
Posted By: Axeman Re: Habaneros, anyone? - 11/15/06 11:41 PM
Law...I KNEW YOU HAD A SENSITVE SIDE...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board