AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous Land Purchase - 06/10/07 02:32 AM
Finished all the paperwork for a lot in Tres Cocos.
The lawyer collected the fees and sent off the documents.
Question: What department or people's do I contact to track the progress of the title transfer?
I know I owe taxes and want to be sure I get those paid.
What's the paper trail?
Posted By: belizegial Re: Land Purchase - 06/10/07 03:12 AM
where were the documents sent, to you or to the Lands Dept.?

Posted By: bywarren Re: Land Purchase - 06/10/07 12:40 PM
Sounds like those are questions for your lawyer. Why would you pay a lawyer for a service and then try to get answers from a message board?
Posted By: Stilromin Re: Land Purchase - 06/10/07 04:02 PM
P nanna,
The process is slow, but it is happening. Your attorney is the only conduit that you have, short of going to Belmopan and lobbying by yourself to expedite the title. You can and should talk to your lawyer about sending an emissary to the office in Belmopan that is responsible for issuing the absolute title. The relationship between those two parties will dictate the the lag time, which has been reported to take as long as a year. It will go quicker if a motivated person goes to Belmopan
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Land Purchase - 06/11/07 02:21 AM
Don't even start hassling the attorney until 6 - 8 weeks have elapsed. That is the standard time lag for a title in the new registration areas.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Land Purchase - 06/12/07 03:32 AM
Thank you all for the feedback.
The attorney has said that she is waiting for the paperwork back from the Lands Registry.
Also mentioned they were pretty backed up.
It's been a month now and I do know how slow things move sometimes.
Cheers...
Posted By: canadian West or East Lot - 06/12/07 10:07 PM
I'm torn between investing on the west or east side of Ambergris Caye. Does anyone have experience with investing beachfront land as opposed to lagoon front land? We're looking at a 100x100 lot (2nd row) in Palm Bay. Thoughts? Does anyone know Corry McDermott? Comments?
Thanks.
-Linda
Canada
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: West or East Lot - 06/12/07 11:10 PM
I know Cory. I have a lot in Palm Bay, purchased from Cory. Is this lot behind the park?

SIN
Posted By: canadian Re: West or East Lot - 06/12/07 11:15 PM
Yes that's the right one, I think he mentioned you on the phone.
I'm new to the game - just going on our 2nd international lot and want to make sure before we wire over the money.
Beach or lagoon? Palm bay potential?
-Linda
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: West or East Lot - 06/13/07 04:37 PM
Palm Bay is going to be one of the nicest places on the island. The question is when. It'll be a few years. I think sooner than later, seeing the last three years of exponential growth on the island. Realtors in the 90's used to say, "You'll never see the north developed in your lifetime.". Today, a decade later, the north is full of developments.

The lagoon is good too, with tons of potential. Show me a cheap lot in the Caymans on the leeward side of the island. None.

Comparing the two, Palm Bay in my opinion. You are in Bacalar Chico Nature Reserve and Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve. The ancient Mayan Canal is kayaking distance. Mainly, you can see the Barrier Reef. In addition to sea roaches, which I hate, that seem to flourish in the lagoon.

SIN
Posted By: SP Daily Re: West or East Lot - 06/13/07 04:40 PM
"...sea roaches..."
Yer thinking of leaches, right?
Posted By: bywarren Re: Land Purchase - 06/13/07 05:52 PM
He is talking about sea roaches, scientific name Ligia.
They are a little white bug that attaches to you. Doesn't really do any harm. Just annoying. Used to get covered with them when we went to French Lagoon looking for stone crabs.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Land Purchase - 06/13/07 05:57 PM
The ones that give a stinging sensation?
Posted By: bywarren Re: Land Purchase - 06/13/07 06:05 PM
You could probaly describe it that way, although to me it was more like just a slight biting sensation. They didn't really hurt, just felt annoying and creepy. My guide could stay in the water all day and not let them bother him. I had to get out every once and a while and get them off of me.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Land Purchase - 06/13/07 06:36 PM
I've encountered these or something similar out on the backside, north of Cayo Espanto. The local boat guys called them leaches and wouldn't get in the water.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Land Purchase - 06/13/07 06:50 PM
You can also encounter leaches that will attach to you and actually suck blood. Sea roaches are about a quarter to half inch long and the leaches are much bigger.

Sounds like you had wimps for guides. laugh

The sea roaches I have only encountered on the back side and lagoons. The leaches have I run into also on land, usually in bars.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Land Purchase - 06/13/07 06:53 PM
Seems like these were the 1/2" size.

Yeah...not naming names...
They weren't guides, just hangin' out.
Posted By: Hon Re: West or East Lot - 06/13/07 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by canadian
Yes that's the right one, I think he mentioned you on the phone.
I'm new to the game - just going on our 2nd international lot and want to make sure before we wire over the money.
Beach or lagoon? Palm bay potential?
-Linda

Which side did you like best when you were at Palm Bay Club looking at the lots?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: West or East Lot - 06/13/07 07:07 PM
I would like to buy something but don't have any money... what do you suggest? I'll live in Palm Bay next door to SIN...
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Land Purchase - 06/13/07 10:34 PM
We encountered those "Sea Roaches" / Leach (YUK) sick creatures on the lagoon side down south near Marco Gonzalez area while fly fishing off a beach. We renamed the area "Leach Beach". They Freaked us out shocked
Posted By: TrueLover Re: Land Purchase - 06/14/07 04:16 PM
The sea roaches are mostly next to shore and the bone fish and mullet like to eat them. Pretty much why you're able to fly fish off the beach. If you went 100 yards off shore you would probably not find them. They like the waters edges/shallows.

Posted By: canadian Re: West or East Lot - 06/14/07 09:06 PM
Thanks for your input. What are your thoughts on Malacate Beach on the Placencia peninsula?
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: West or East Lot - 06/14/07 09:46 PM
TL, My friends were standing in about 2 to 3 feet of water so you can guess the rest. It was quite the experiance. I was the lucky one as I stayed on the beach. Don't want to go back in that water any time soon.
Posted By: TrueLover Re: West or East Lot - 06/15/07 02:52 PM
Not bad if you get away from the shoreline in back but yeah, who wants creepy little thing biting ya? ewe. I guess if I had a reason to stand in that back water I'd wear hip waders.
Posted By: canadian Re: West or East Lot - 06/15/07 03:32 PM
So I'm guessing the beach is the place to be for the best investment and living conditions? smile
Anyone know if catamaran businesses do well in Belize?
Posted By: belizegial Re: West or East Lot - 06/15/07 03:43 PM
go for the beachfront lot canadian.
Posted By: canadian Re: West or East Lot - 06/15/07 04:52 PM
Thanks for your help!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: West or East Lot - 06/16/07 08:56 PM
There are 2 catamaran businesses here already - and they don't seem to be overloaded with business.
Posted By: kcbc Re: West or East Lot - 06/17/07 09:37 AM
Just wondering if you have been to Malacate Beach for a visit?
Posted By: canadian Re: West or East Lot - 06/18/07 12:01 AM
Hi,
No I haven't been to Malacate beach yet hence, my inquiry.
Posted By: kcbc Re: West or East Lot - 06/18/07 11:30 PM
Malacate Beach is about a mile or two down the road from our home in Belize.
I know that they have some lots for sale. We are a pretty small village with not much going on in terms of night life or resturants. There is of course always Placencia across the lagoon for activities.

Would make sure that you make a visit to the area before getting serious.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board