AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 03:26 AM
i copied this thread to the chamber of commerce and newspapers and a business owner group i have, and removed it from general viewing.
Posted By: Don Greife Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 04:25 AM
You are probably right Marty, I don't think it is a good thing for people to critisize the those in charge for the polution problem that grows by the day. Thanks for removing my comments from a public that needs to be sheltered from truth.

I supose the powers that be will probably soon pull my visa at the airport and deport me on the next flight to Houston.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 04:35 AM
For once I agree with the decision to censor. The problem is one for local business owners to deal with, and I am sure it will be dealt with. In the meantime, potential visitors shouldn't read too much into this - the trash is a problem sure, but it's not going to spoil anyone's holiday unless they fixate on it. Although it's worse than it should be, it's not THAT bad.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 04:39 AM
I doubt that those in charge read this board but they do read e-mails sent to [email protected] and comments sent to http://www.belizetourism.org/component/option,com_btbcontact/Itemid,143/
Posted By: Don Greife Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 04:48 AM
I tend to agree with you P2,,, the trash thing is a problem for the local business owners to deal with. I can only hope that they will start dealing with it before it covers up the new cobble stones.
Posted By: Don Greife Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 05:07 AM
Thanks Simon,, I did indeed send them a message that said exactly how I feel about the trash problem.
Posted By: Cueball Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 05:36 AM
Wow. I'm really concerned for the censorship of this thread. I don't think leaving this thread for public consumption is a bad thing when the purpose is to be fully informed. If it's not THAT bad a problem, then prove it.

Otherwise, public pressure and the almighty dollar will make the local businesses step up and do something about the trash problem.

Tourism is highly dependent on perception. If the perception is negative on this issue, it's not a good idea to censor the discussion and create even more speculation. Local business people should convince those of us who bring money to the economy that all is well.

Please don;t take this wrong. I sincerely hope the problem is minor or fixed by July when we were planning on coming. But now I may never know for sure.

If we do cancel, I'll make sure to let the owners of White Sands Cove know why and maybe they will chip in also to make this problem go away.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 06:11 AM
Cueball - it really isn't as bad as you've gleaned from the posts so far. It's a big thing to us because we have to think how to deal with it, with a severely under-funded local authority that doesn't really have the necessary resources. As I said above, it really isn't such a big issue for visitors. The problem isn't that locals are dropping litter everywhere, but that flotsam and jetsam from the Caribbean ends its journey on our beaches (being as far west as it can travel).

In particular, you'll find that White Sands is immaculately kept, and trash will be a long way from your thoughts while you're there.

"Censorship" perhaps wasn't the best word to use. It's just that the topic has been moved from the gossip columns to somewhere it'll be properly discussed and decisions made to resolve it.
Posted By: Cueball "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 02:14 PM
Why was it taken off this board? Please tell me it's not because we are sweeping this problem under the rug (pun intended).

Wouldn't it be better to address this issue open and honestly with people on this board who spend their hard earned money traveling to AC? And then report that the problem has been solved??

Removing that thread is suspicious to me. I'm sure my thread will be removed also.
Posted By: RathaBnBelize Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:14 PM
I agree with cueball. We are all friends of San Pedro and it would take a lot for any of us not to re-visit San Pedro or leave San Pedro;whatever the case might be. We all understand the challenges with under-funding. Perhaps one of us or some of us could help with a solution. It appears to me that this board has helped come up with solutions in the past...maybe ...just maybe....it could happen again.
Posted By: Cueball Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:22 PM
And please don't take my post as trying to stir up a big debate on this forum. I have lurked here for quite some time and love the discussion and the spirit of the people on this board.

I was SO looking forward to visiting this wonderful island for the first time this summer after hearing all the stories and reading how this place makes so many of you feel. So all the more reason for us to put pressure on the local businesses through public discourse to keep AC clean!

I would pay extra to stay at a resort in AC to offset the cost of these resorts and other businesses pooling resources to buy another garbage truck or hire locals to keep litter out of the streets. I'm sure others would too.

Please keep us updated on the progress and do not remove this thread.....please
Posted By: Marty Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:22 PM
and we are. the thread, like i wrote in a post when i did it, was sent to places where it will do much more good than here.

there are areas of this board that are only visible to business owners. that post now has a prominent place in that forum where it can be discussed with the business community of San Pedro, and hopefully resolved.
Posted By: Marty Re: Letter to the Editor - 03/12/08 03:24 PM
there are areas of this board that are only visible to business owners. that post now has a prominent place in that forum where it can be discussed with the business community of San Pedro, and hopefully resolved.
Posted By: Cueball Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:25 PM
Marty,

What better place to keep us updated on the progress or lack thereof than on this board - where so many potential tourists visit?

I think it's good to let local businesses/authorities know that a prominent AC message board is keeping this issue on the front page of the board until it is resolved.

Posted By: Marty Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:26 PM
read my previous message in this thread. its in the business owners forum
Posted By: Marty Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:27 PM
every city in the world has trash. i doubt many prefer to have it highlighted on the front page of their message boards ad infinitum til the problem is totally addressed, completely fixed, for all time...
Posted By: Cueball Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:36 PM
Wow! Marty removed the trash problem thread AGAIN! Are you that afraid of public discussion about this???

I'm now tempted to raise this issue on all pulic forums that you don't control to get the word out if you choose to hide this from others.

What gives here????
Posted By: Marty Re: Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:41 PM
I COMBINED IT WITH ANOTHER THREAD PAY ATTENTION PLEASE I CAN"T JUST SIT HERE AND WRITE MESSAGES ABOUT THIS ALL DAY LONG
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:42 PM
I believe it is now widely known there is a trash problem. Will it be solved on this board by complaining or by the governmental entities that Marty has referred it to?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:42 PM
LMAO!!!!
Posted By: Marty Re: Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:43 PM
i'm getting angry as you can tell sorry
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:43 PM
Marty, what thread did you combine it with?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:44 PM
he's right, issue won't get resolved here on this mb.
Posted By: Marty Re: Trash Problem Thread Removed AGAIN! - 03/12/08 03:45 PM
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=271557
Posted By: travelqueen Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:46 PM
Marty so true...
Posted By: Marty Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 03:48 PM
everytime someone starts a new thread on this i am going to fold it into this thread. looks like a full time job today. argh.
Since this one refuses to allow free discourse because of the fear that the local businesses will stop advertising.

You won't be able to censor me there.

Advertisers and local businesses beware...quashing this issue here has only made this worse.
no ego issues here!! wink
Ugh... let us know if you accomplish your goal there. I can think of more effective ways. Sayonara!
Don Quiote,

Don't hate, participate! If you live here, become proactive. PM me, I am willing to help organize an "Adopt a Beach" program here.

It worked for us back in the 90's with BETA, something we can inject some life into and the BETA no LITTA campaign.

Power to the people.

SIN
Cueball - this is not a political activist message board - maybe you will be able to find someone out there that is willing to listen to your opinion about an island that is located 5,000 miles from where you live and work.... come back and tell us how it goes.

By the way, there is a message board out there that will gladly adopt your persona and will rejoice in your thoughts and pearls of wisdom - but you'll have to find it yourself.

Have a great day!
Maybe the Jamaica travel websites would be more receptive.
People like you make me laugh. You haven't even been to the place and you're already trying to change it....

Why not just go, enjoy your vacation, and check the situation first hand before flying off the handle, getting your knickers in a bunch, and talking alot of bollocks.

Personally, I've never gone to AC before. But I have been to several other Caribbean destinations and expect there to be some issues in the local infrastructure .... you're not going to the USA, Canada, or England for Pete's sake.

Maybe join Grean Peace or something.

At any rate, I'm a 'vacationer' and tired of reading your meaningless threats and soap box posts.

In advance, I apologize to everyone else reading this...
Hey Tim, I hope you read the comments in the original threads; they've all been merged in one thread in the Chat Area - did you notice that?
My frustration is with the apparent disregard to those of us who have not visited the island before. As for the "just come on down and see it before complaining" comment, why would I want to spend my hard earned money coming to a place that has an admitted trash problem. I'm sure others would feel the same.

Continue with this flippant attitude towards those of us with genuine concerns and watch the tourism industry and the AC economy go to pot...
Gee, aren't the advertisers the ones who keep bringing this issue to the forefront with the powers that be and working on solutions with those powers?
SimonB,

I hope so! If that is the case, then that is what needs to be openly discussed here! You speak as if those of us who are considering coming to AC should know this! If the advertisers are working hard and quickly for a solution, then let's talk about what they are doing....that's all I have been saying.
Cueball, from a tourists first time perspective, there is no trash problem, honestly.
I hate to tell you this Cueball, but the USA has trash problems, grafitti problems, crime problems, and a variety of other issues. Does that stop me from going to Disney World? What country doesn't have infrastructure issues of some sort??

Get a grip man. If you don't like it, then don't spend your hard earned money there and go elsewhere. I hear Florida and San Padre Island are nice this time of year, and heck, you don't even have the leave the USA. Maybe even the Florida Keys might suit your better?

While you're there, be sure to check the local garbage service.... you wouldn't want to waste your hard earned dollars on going to place with issues, nevermind living in one.
Nice attitude Canuck. I won't stoop to that level. All I will say is that most successful tourist destinations that take their customers seriously do all they can to keep a clean environment for them to enjoy.

Not only is there an aesthetic purpose, but health issues are also associated with garbage problems in a community. But I guess we should just fork out thousands of dollars and grin and bare it or dont come at all....nice way to promote the island.
I don't see how one can take a platform on something that they haven't seen or researched for themselves. I suggest going through the online archives of the local papers if you want news on what is going on before going off.
What makes you think the people of Ambriscaye are trying to make this into Aruba? You should go for a visit then report back.

The people are what make the island... they don't need that other crap.
Cueball, what do you perceive the problem to be? Trash in the streets? Garbage in the streets? Washed up trash on the beaches? Chevies up on blocks in the yards? What specifically are you talking about?
SimonB,

You're making my point. The information I received on this trash issue was from THIS board!! And when the thread got moved to Siberia, all I was doing, if you go back and read my initial post, was trying to get clarification from those on the island as to what EXACTLY was the problem and how was it going to be fixed since I have NEVER been there and was excited on coming to AC for the first time. Some of us can;t afford to take a chance and just spend thoudsands of dollars to come see if there is a trash problem for ourselves.
Cueball, let's get a few things straight here.

1. I don't live on the island and I have no investments there.

2. I'll have never set foot on AC prior to the end of this month.

3. You said it best. Either fork the money over or don't go.

4. No matter where you go in the Caribbean, you will always find things that might not be up to 'par' with North American standards of living. Deal with it.

5. I'm sure you're just reading wayyyyy too much into the issues there. Many large North American cities have 'garbage issues'. Does that prevent you from visiting those cities?

You're just like the silly vacationer that gets food poisoning and tells everyone to boycott the destination because of it. Meanwhile, you're just as likely to get food poisoning from the restaurant just down the street from your own home.

Finally, instead of ranting on and on, why not follow through on your promises? Actions speak much louder than words. I for one, am planning on going to Belize this winter and enjoying my time on the largest barrier reef in the western hemisphere.
Cueball, that was likely the reason the thread was moved. The residents may have an issue with the trash but it really doesn't effect the tourists and it shouldn't.
If nothing else, cueball is true to his word...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...se_read-Ambergris_Caye_Belize_Cayes.html

"I for one, am planning on going to Belize this winter and enjoying my time on the largest barrier reef in the western hemisphere"

And my money is on " You'll Love It"
Cueball, THAT IS A DAMN SHAME!!! I'm embarrassed that you are a fellow Houstonian!!! mad mad mad mad
To quote Oscar Wilde:

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go!!
I would always choose a little flotsam on the beach instead of the trash in Crawford.

"Fool di talk, but fool no di lissen" - creole proverb.

I will enjoy seeing this thread death rayed into the message board abyss.
My offical trash report after driving around for a couple of miles this morning: there was so much trash around you could have filled a kitchen garbage bag (if you were lucky.) All receptacles were empty and all garbage had been picked up.

I hope that helps.

I would post a picture of the horrendous condition of the beach but I'm short on time and that damn town worker keeps on raking it clean.
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton
I would always choose a little flotsam on the beach instead of the trash in Crawford.

Lets keep the CNN and MSNBC Reporters out of this, and stay on point here?
Okay, I have just stepped out the office and taken photos of the road and the beach in the immediate vicinity. For those that are brave enough to view - go to the photos forum....

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=271702
Originally Posted by travelqueen
Cueball, THAT IS A DAMN SHAME!!! I'm embarrassed that you are a fellow Houstonian!!! mad mad mad mad

It's ok TQ. He's originally from Ohio smile
lol! Thanks for the report Simon!

Hon, he he he.
Thanks Simon, I was beginning to think I had lost my eyesight. I was there a couple of weeks ago and I did not see an unusual amounts of trash. If one is on a windy island of course there will be some blowing paper, etc etc.

It sure as hell won't stop me from returning in May!
Yes. I did post on TripAdvisor because posts were continually being moved. All I wanted were answers....that's all.

See my "peace offering -hat in hand thread"...
Comment from the last tourist I met: This is the best place I've ever been.
Comment from the tourist I met before that: This is the best place I've ever been.
Comment from a group of tourists before that: This is the best place we've ever been.
My comment: This is the best place I've ever been.

Yes, we have (like any other seaside community) problems with thrash on our beaches. The good news is that it can be removed with a rake and a drumliner. Bad attitude and senseless complaining can't.
We need to find a soultion where the owner's of empty lots on the beach are being asked to clean up or pay for occational clean up. Home- and business owners up and down the coast are doing a great job already.
The issue about trash elsewhere is all about education. No point in picking up and picking up and picking up trash, if people don't understand that it's bad to throw it in the first place. Not just an A.C. or a Belize issue, it is a planet issue.
Posted By: Tom Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 06:03 PM
I agree with SimonB on this one.
Send those e-mails to [email protected] and also the the web-site of http://www.belizetourism.org for sure.
You all know that the squeeky wheel is the one that gets greased.

Cueball, please do not think that this would spoil your vacation, because it really will not. If you have ever visited anywhere with beaches you know that they have to be raked or cleaned daily, sometimes twice a day depending on the tides. It is too bad that the tide does not take out what it brings in.
San Pedro Town is a wonderful place and they do have special events to clean the beaches. Sometimes it is the businesses and at other times it is the schools. The schools do try to teach the students to care for their home. The Town Board was planning to have an event for this very reason but do not know the date.
I heard it from Felix at the Town Board.
Kat
Posted By: Ernie B Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 06:21 PM
Sometimes the squeaking wheel gets replaced.
Posted By: Cueball Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 06:31 PM
Good to know Tom. Thanks for the helpful information.
Posted By: klcman Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 06:36 PM
Helpful information that was/is available all along, just by doing a little research via the "search" feature wink
Posted By: Cueball Re: "Letter to the Editor" Thread?? - 03/12/08 08:58 PM
i'll know next time to do the research before I open my big mouth
Originally Posted by BiIl Mc Ghee
"I for one, am planning on going to Belize this winter and enjoying my time on the largest barrier reef in the western hemisphere"

And my money is on " You'll Love It"

You can count on that!! cool
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board