AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: boreas How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/23/08 03:18 PM
Amm-Berrrrrrrrrrrrr-gris.
Posted By: elbert Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/23/08 03:27 PM
D pends on wore u frum
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?amberg01.wav=ambergris
Posted By: wade the gringo Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/23/08 03:52 PM
"PAIR_A_DICE"
Posted By: sweetjane Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/23/08 03:56 PM
awww, wade - you beat me to it!!!
Posted By: wade the gringo Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/23/08 03:59 PM
lol
got to be fast
Posted By: azbob Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/24/08 03:51 AM
LIsten to the new BTB promo. It doesn't sound like Amber-gris- key or "PAIR_A_DICE", but I agree with you, Wade, it is paradise!!
Posted By: elbert Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/24/08 03:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/TRAVELBELIZE
Posted By: boreas Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/25/08 10:56 AM
"...we make your dreams...Belizable"

Ouch.

Still, nice video. I see now that it is pronounced Ambergis, and not AmbergRis.
Posted By: elbert Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/25/08 04:33 PM
Am Berger us Key
I think the narrator in the video is from here. :-)
still an awesome video
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Ambergris
Ambergris

Ambergris (Ambra grisea, Ambre gris, ambergrease, or grey amber) is a solid, waxy, flammable substance of a dull gray or blackish color produced in the digestive system of sperm whales. Ambergris has a peculiar sweet, earthy odor (similar to isopropyl alcohol); though it has now been largely displaced by synthetics, the principal historical use of ambergris was as a fixative in perfumery.
The writer Herman Melville makes mention of ambergris in Moby-Dick. He discusses at length how ambergris was commonly found in dead whales floating in the South Pacific.
Posted By: Phil Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/25/08 06:21 PM
Hamburger Us. I dont think so!!!!
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: How do you pronounce Ambergris? - 04/30/08 04:29 PM
&nbsp boreas,
I find "Ambergris" both hard to say as well as difficule to type. I typically use "San Pedro Town" as opposed to "Ambergris Caye".

&nbsp Pronunciation of any word is very regional. The dictionary may give a pronunciation of ambergris that is commonplace in the fragrance industry, for example, but the folks on the island may use a completely different form of speach.

&nbsp My policy is "when in doubt, say it with a smile". That's universal. I always pick up a few words of the local lingo and hack my way through the pronunciation as best I can. The locals seem to prefer me, a complete foreigner, bumbling through their language and grinning like an idiot, as opposed to my other options, which are limited to trying to find somebody who speaks my language or using the few words in their language that I'm comfortable with.

&nbsp With all that said, I say amber-gris without any real stress to either syllable. Everybody understands me. Nobody whose opinion I value looks down on me if this is incorrect. But I'm more confident with saying San Pedro Town.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board