AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: reaper The "RAT RACE"! - 12/03/08 09:55 PM
"If you win the rat race, you're still a rat"!

Johnny Grief told me that was his dad's favorite saying about the states, as we were sitting at the pool party Saturday listening to Kelly and John Arthur strum away the afternoon.

On your mark...
So we were all sad on the flight home. Morgan had woken up saying she didn't want to go to school, or leave "Beeze".
We arrived at DFW and stood in the long Customs line. I knew what was coming. There is a bad dude from Texas named "Ricky Grimm". The have been looking for him for at least three years now. "Mr. Grimm, room 2 please" the officer said. So off to secondary with the family. We waited while two big fat dudes ate snacks, laughed and talked on the phone. The clock was ticking and we only had 20, then 15, then 10 minutes to get our luggage, re-check it, dash to the gate and catch our flight. Down to finally five minutes and fat guy #2 calls my name. He gives me my passport and off we scurry. When we get downstairs our 3 bags are slowly going around the conveyor by themselves. We grab them and dash out to re-check them, stopping quickly to get Morgan's medicine out of her suitcase before we go on. She gulps it down and off to the re-check belt. The guys get our bags and up we go, through security again, shoes off, belt off, you know the drill. Of course Alec has marbles, seashells and Belikin caps in his pockets. Luckily our gate to San Diego was in the "D" terminal, so it was right there out of security. There was a lot of folks just hanging out, so I knew we were delayed. The plane wa being cleaned and fueled from it's last flight so we had time for a snack. We grabbed a couple happy meals and a quarter pounder to go and headed back to the gate. We all sat on the floor eating processed crap, all the while thinking about a lobster burritto from Warraguma.

Get set...
We finally boarded the plane. It was a 757. Why does everyone think no one is behind them on a flight trying to also get to their seats? The flight attendants were edgy and we were still at the gate! After about 25 minutes we all were seated and off we went. It was a smooth flight and we all nodded off. The young man next to me was a Navy SEAL in training and had just finished "Hell Week". He snoozed the entire flight. What a nice young man and he made me think the younger generation still has some redeeming qualities! As we descended into San Diego I started sensing something was up. We made a few turns and all of a sudden we were in complete darkness. I knew we must have gone out over the Pacific and mentioned to mrs. reaper something was amiss. Sure enough the Captain came on and told us we were fogged in, or really "out" of San Diego and would have to land at Ontario Intl. Collectively you would have thought everyone was just diagnosed with termional cancer. A buzz went through the plane. "Oh no", "Where is Ontario?", "But my ride is waiting!". One woman behind me just blurted out "Just land the plane on instruments"! I guess she hasn't seen the two big hills on each side of the runways at Lindbergh Field! Kristine and I just looked at each other and smiled. Back to the Rat Race.

Go!
I work in Ontario, it's about 115 miles from San Diego. Of course I didn't have a car at the firehouse and we landed at 12:15, so I didn't want to wake up the guys and borrow a car. When we got off of the plane and got to baggage claim there must have been two or three thousand people there! Flights all across Southern California were landing at OIA! It was mayhem. American Airlines said they were getting busses to take us to San Diego and they would be there in half an hour. Right! Pull my other leg and it plays "Jingle Bells"! I grabbed the bags and Kris called Hertz. We knew a rental was the only way wew were getting to San Diego before sunlight! She made a reservation and I dashed the half a mile to the rental car area, sweating out "One Barrel" all of the way! There were only two customers ahead of me. I couldn't believe it. I got a car and drove over to the terminal to grab the family. The wait for the San Diego busses was now up to 45 minutes! The kids piled in the car and we drove home, in the fog. We arrived at our doorstep at 2:50AM. At least we weren't on the TACA flight we saw there. They waited on the plane for 9 hours. No Customs at OIA! Mrs. reaper had to go to work at 8 and Alec had school. It was a two pot of coffee morning. I went out to my car with Morgan to go to the grocery store. Of course I started the car to a slow whrrr, whrrr, click, click, click. A dead battery after 2 weeks. Murphy's Law...

Damn I miss Estel's...
Posted By: papashine Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/03/08 10:12 PM
Theres no place like home wink
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/03/08 10:15 PM
Like they say, if you play, you pay! LOL. At least the fam is safe and sound. We had some fog landing in SAC early Sat a.m. and the last thing I wanted to do was drive in it!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/03/08 11:28 PM
What Rat Race ? Every day ia a weekend grin
Posted By: sweetjane Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 12:21 AM
i'm still visualizing reaper, attache' case in hand, hurdling over bags and people like OJ simpson in the old commercial...
Posted By: JeanH Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 12:22 AM
I think Morgan has the right idea. Just stay in Belize....
Posted By: Otteralum Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 12:54 AM
Just glad everyone is safe. Sure made for an interesting contrast coming from San Pedro -- makes you appreciate the time you get in Belize with family.

Thanks for this...
Posted By: seashell Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 02:32 AM
Reaper, why don't you get yourself a Nexus, Global or some such Home Security card? Then you should never have to worry about that nasty Ricky Grimm again.

My Canpass got me through immigration in Houston, even though I was sweating vodka profusely from every pore (cleanup on aisle one), looked guilty as sin and didn't know the answer to the question "Who won the Greycup?" My response "Waaaa? I've absolutely no clue." His raised eyebrows "You don't know? Didn't Calgary play in the Greycup?" My response "Waaaa??!! Sir, I've ABSOLUTE no clue!" I pulled out my Canpass card and said "perhaps this will help?" and he took one look, nodded and waived me through.

Posted By: Caye Connect Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 04:25 AM
Rich, that really sucks. But thank you so much for sharing - I am going to bookmark this post and bring it up every time I feel the *stresses* of Belize. Glad everyone got home safe.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 10:52 PM
Hahaha!!!!!!!I needed a laugh reaper! Sorry it was at your expense.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 11:25 PM
It is my understanding that there are very few airports in the U.S. that have implemented the scanning pass. I know of only one in California, San Jose International.

I've never heard of a Home Security card or Nexus card. Anybody else?
Posted By: seashell Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/04/08 11:38 PM
Houston has some sort of "Global" entry but apparently you have to make application prior to your trip.

I have Nexus. Unfortunately, it only gets me through US Immigration here in Calgary and would be quite useful for border crossing in a vehicle. In the meantime, it is quite valuable for getting me past all security lines getting out of Calgary.

For those that do not know, Calgary International Airport has a US Immigration clearance.

I also have Canpass, which is also not widely used in Canada, but is very helpful getting me past Cdn customs and immigration lines on my return. I could use the Nexus for that too, but Canpass is easier for me. So, Nexus on my way out, Canpass on my way in of home town.

Others would say that it was wrong of me to give up my iris and fingerprints so freely. Enh,. . . whatever . . .as long as I commit no crimes . . I can use it to my advantage.
Posted By: Islenutt Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/05/08 12:21 AM
Are you thinking of Clear Pass LaurieMar? There is a list of airports using that one on the website.

http://www.flyclear.com/where/where_airports.html

I don't know if it is useful at international borders or just for U.S. destinations.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/05/08 01:27 AM
Isle, Yes, think that is it. There used to be only about 9 airports that had it, but I see the list has grown. Think I will save my money and wait in line, doesn't seem worth the expense to me.
Posted By: azbob Re: The "RAT RACE"! - 12/05/08 08:01 PM
reaper, that just provides that flying is so much fun in the friendly skys, but only when going to Belize!!!
Glad you and the family made and no repeat in FEB!!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board