AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: green1706 Parents and Children - 09/21/09 02:31 PM
What is the ideal relationship between parents and children? This relationship should be more severe, parents imposing their terms automatically, or should it be a friendship? In the latter case, if the child benefit from parents' indulgence and do something stupid? I know that the situation varies from case to case, but I speak in general. My husband and I get ready to be parents again, we want to adopt for the first time, and therefore we want more opinions. So, what do you think?

heart
Posted By: Danny2 Re: Parents and Children - 09/22/09 08:26 PM
What ever you do not teach them to talk.
Posted By: ragman Re: Parents and Children - 09/22/09 08:58 PM
green, In my opinion your goal should be to raise (train) a child to be independent. This means education both academic and common sense or in the later case at least social skills. Not doing too much for them can be difficult but very necessary. Leading by good example is important and what we used to do is insist that everyone be at the supper table with TV and other distractions shut off. Let that be your special few minutes a day to talk.

Last piece of advice. If you want a friend, get a dog. Good Luck, there is no greater responsibility than raising children and thank God I'm done with that. Great to look back on but it's a lot of work and can be an ify thing even if you do everything right.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Parents and Children - 09/22/09 09:26 PM
I have my opinions on the "friendship" role of parents, but the concept is so relative, I'd only be soapboxing. That doesn't help anyone.

You say "again." Times can change, but in general, did your other child(ren) turn out well? If so, trust your instincts.
Posted By: Rykat Re: Parents and Children - 09/22/09 10:05 PM
IMHO,
Be fair but strict when they are children(strict does not mean inflexible). Friendships will grow as they become adults.
(Have three boys now 41, 39, and 32 who will not go away - just kidding wouldnt want them to. If you are lucky and do it just right they will marry people as "nice" as them and you will grow old with a smile on your face).
Posted By: collyk Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 01:40 AM
Click here for my answer
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 01:47 AM
That wasnt EVEN funny
Posted By: klcman Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 02:30 AM
Just press "4", E! And it was too!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 02:50 AM
Your opinion .
Posted By: klcman Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 02:55 AM
here's another..........................Grump wink
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 03:00 AM
Another what, Grumper than me laugh
Posted By: klcman Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 03:36 AM
IMPossible,,,,,,,your offspring told me so.
Posted By: pugwash Re: Parents and Children - 09/23/09 03:29 PM
If you teach your kids that laying on the floor at Walmart screaming is the way to get candy, you will live with the consequences�if you teach your kids that Please, Thank You and Excuse Me are more powerful words and phrases than I Want and Give Me there is a greater chance of harmony in your household,

If you teach them that actions tend to cause reactions, and that taking responsibility for their actions is a step to adulthood and maturity, there is a far lesser chance that you will still be co signing for their car loan once they turn 30 and move back in with you after their 2nd divorce!

When you tell them "NO" mean it and be prepared to defend your position�appeasement is rarely a good idea!!!

Set examples for them by the way you act and they way you treat others....friends they can find anywhere

Follow these simple ideals and they will also be less likely to grow up voting for entitlements��

Just My Opinion, with no hard facts from Huffington or Daily Kos to back up my position smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board