AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScottKelley Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/19/03 08:13 PM
I'm trying to get some ideas of what would be a creative, memorable way to propose to my girlfriend during our trip to Belize this June/July.

We'll be there 9 days/8 nights and don't scuba (at least not yet). She's fairly adventurous so I can talk her into pretty much anything, but she's just started to get in shape, so strenuous hiking being involved probably wouldn't be much fun.

Anyone have any stories about proposals in Belize or creative ideas?
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/19/03 11:27 PM
Have lots to drink-wake up with a hangover-feel guilty for looking and drooling over other raging beauties during the previous nights shenanigans,and then turn round and propose,and the you can go off drinking again to celebrate the answer.
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:04 AM
That's pretty much my plan for the week, except for the guilty part. I probably should throw in some semblance of a romantic intention for the trip though. At least this way it'll be different than a typical week wink
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:08 AM
Ok-we are obviously nearly there -after proposal throw her out of bed to make breakfast.When that is nearly ready go to the fridge and open a bottle of Dom
Posted By: denverdan Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:12 AM
HOW SWEET!!!
and with a sense of humor ta boot... lol
If it were me I would kinda want something private. A couple of suggestions come to mind...
You can hire a boat to take you to one of the remote Cayes and have a beach BBQ, OR have a restaurant prepare a meal for you at the end of a dock with wine, linen, candles, and all.
Ya know, Caribe Island Resort also has a Palapa in front of their resort I'm sure they could take the hammocks down and prepare a lovely dinner for you there right on the beach, or out on their dock as well.
Otherwise maybe a romantic boat ride to Capricorns (North of the cut) and let them handle everything as well.
She is a lucky gal, ya sure sound romantic to me! (except for the last comment) wink
Let us know what you decide...
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:33 AM
The romantic stuff is gonna happen anyway, I'm kind of looking for something a bit out of the ordinary, like maybe a deserted island that has nothing but a table with dinner on it and a letter with a ring waiting asking her to marry me. Something along those lines.

I really do like her, we've been dating now for about a year and a half. Never really thought I'd want to marry anyone till I met her.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:42 AM
Portofino provide an end of dock dinner service,and they do it fantastically well- a deserted island with a table no chance-a deserted island to be dropped off,and to be picked up later with a picnic no problem(loads of choices).
Sounds like a long way from cold beer and your friends-maybe after breakfast walk down the beach holding hands and stop at the first bar that is open(now that is romantic)
Posted By: Gela Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:46 AM
Perhaps take the Altun Ha tour on mainland and when stopping at Maruba Spa after the ruin tour, sign up for massage for the two of you together and then propose after your massage. Celebrate by toasting with some Viper Rum at the Bar. laugh
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:53 AM
Hmmm..

I'm thinking of something prepared a bit in advance (always a good touch with romantic doings) that is private and a suprise.

Have no doubt I'll attempt to save your souls from the evils of Belikin by drinking it all myself though.

In case anyone's curious, there is a picture of us here smile
Posted By: Turnbun1971 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:53 AM
This is at Ian Anderson's Caves Branch:

Your first night in our private cabana suites overlooking the sunset and the Caves Branch River. THEN .. off into the abyss of the ancient Maya Gods where our guides will take you down 300 feet on rappelling rope into one of the most spectacular underground caverns found anywhere on the planet.

Your honeymoon experience awaits deep within the underworld, alongside a subterranean bubbling spring and waterfall. We love surprising couples with a sensuous sanctuary of candles, champagne, delicious treats and a flower-strewn bed, so we can't tell you the rest. But be assured your honeymoon setting will be especially prepared for you to tantalize your senses for 24 hours of awesome adventure and eternal tranquility.
They say it's for a honeymoon, but sounds like a perfect adventure for a proposal as well.
Their website is www.cavesbranch.com

Or check out Cayo Espanto if money is no object.

Good luck! I was married in Belize, so it holds such a special place in my heart.
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 12:56 AM
Now that looks intriquing Turnbun...

I'll have to contact them. Maybe I can do some deviation of that trip with them.
Posted By: aqtpie2 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 01:15 PM
That is a great trip at Ian Andersons - but you both will need to get in good hiking shape. It is a LONG trip! But a GREAT one! I was falling all over the place by the end but was telling myself I was fine (because I had no idea how much more we'd have to go). I slept so good that night!

Good Luck!
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 04:37 PM
Well, they contacted me about the cave trip. They graciously offered to leave a note for our arrival. Unfortunately, their package is 5 days. Since we'll have only 7 days in Belize, not counting travel days, this one won't work out. I'm not really an itinerary kind of guy.

Sounds neat though.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 06:42 PM
I could help you arrange a similar overnight cave thing which could be real custom with a private guide (the wonderful Patrick Warrior). I have clients doing a honeymoon like this tomorrow in Cayo. It could be whatever you can envision. Contact me if you are interested. It would have to be early to mid June as Patrick is booked for July. www.barbsbelize.com
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 07:55 PM
Thanks for the offer Barbara, but we won't be arriving in Belize until 27June. Can't move that any earlier.

I think I'd like to try something a bit closer to AC due to the travel time and costs, unless something irresistable comes along.

Maybe something on an island or with a sailboat.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 09:02 PM
Looks like pedro's ideas are the best
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 09:21 PM
Si Pedro. You and I think alike. My girlfriend however does not. smile
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/20/03 11:15 PM
Threaten to propose to someone else if she does not shape up(this probably will not work but you can go and drown your sorrows at the nearest Bar).
The moral of this idea is there is always a silver lining.
Posted By: maya10 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 12:19 AM
How about a day trip to Lamanai Mayan Ruins, then you could get her to climb to the top of the 112 foot pyramid(it's not that hard)and pop the question while looking out over the bay. The view from the top is great-jungle one way, water the other, and there were howler monkeys playing in the surrounding trees! What woman could say "no"?
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 12:27 AM
Well, I have no worries about her saying no, and I like the remoteness, but ruins aren't really my thing. A nice view is an important element of what I have in mind though now that you mention it.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 12:34 AM
Scott, I am thinking here, will come up with a good place soon.

Question is that beautiful lady on your Website, the lady that will receive your proposal and ring?
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 12:37 AM
yes ma'am.

Her name is Lori.
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 12:45 AM
I hope you all don't feel like I'm just shooting down your ideas. I'm trying to see the best parts of all the ideas I've seen and some up with something special. I'm 36 and never proposed before, and don't ever expect to again, so I want to make it perfect. smile
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 02:12 AM
We had our first kiss on a long-haired sheepskin rug (flocati) I have at my house. For our first Christmas, I gave her one just like it for her house, and a bottle with a poem I wrote about that kiss.

Maybe I could do something like write another poem (asking her to marry me) in a bottle and have her find it during a walk after a deserted island dinner.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 02:21 AM
make sure that you do not leave any alcohol in the bottle
Posted By: mango Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 04:14 AM
do both of you scuba/snorkel? I think what your looking for is along the line of for example. The two of you are walking along a beautiful shore line and you see a man up in a coconut tree and he is getting coconuts. You ask him to get you and her one down. You tell him make it special and down comes a coconut. Upon opening it there is a ring inside and you propose.
Something like that?

cheers mango
Posted By: klcman Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 04:47 AM
now THAT is original!! cool
Posted By: seashell Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 07:16 AM
You could rent a private boat for the afternoon (around $80) and go and look at the resorts up north of the cut. Time it so that the return tripback to San Pedro Town is around sunset. The sun will be setting behind the island and the palm trees make this fabulous silouette as the boat skims along the tourquoise waters. So sunset on one side, the ocean cresting over the reef on the other side of you. The two of you could be sitting there in the boat enjoying the view when you lean over and tell her how much you love her.

Just a thought.
Posted By: NYgal Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 12:33 PM
You have a long time to keep up these special moments. Good Luck !
smile
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 03:49 PM
Why NYgal, you make it sound like such a chore.
Posted By: ga peach Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/21/03 07:12 PM
Scott, I think your idea of the message in the bottle is a great one. My boyfriend and I recently spent some time in Cayman Brac, and the couple we rented a cottage from had left a message in a bottle for us to find welcoming us to the island and it was neat.
Posted By: rastapasta Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/22/03 06:07 AM
In the true tradition of the familia Rasta Pasta...Albert & I sailed up to Capricorn on my birthday and after dinner he actually got down on one knee and proposed to me for the second time to renew our vows and this year son Robbie continued the tradition with our Capricorn family and proposed to Dora Gonzalez and married in March...a very romantic way if our family does say so ourselves...Congatulations
Posted By: Marie Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/22/03 10:17 AM
Mango...that one is terrific! Very creative!

Also, you could hire the Winnie Estell. Great ship. She was, I believe, sunk years ago, brought up and fixed up and put to sail again. A nice metaphor for marriage...problems happen, but you can work it out. Roberto will take you to wherever you wish and have something set up on deck for you. Re Maralyn at Rasta Pasta, I was kindly invited to her wedding on the Winnie Estell, and it was the most memorable wedding I have ever been to. It would sure be a memorable proposal, as well!

A less expensive thought is the boat ride to Capricorn. We went on my birthday this year, and it so happened that a young man proposed to his lady right next to us. The ring in the plate sort of thing. Then, the staff all came around and sung. That was nice.

Sounds to me like she is a lucky girl. Best wishes!
Posted By: Tesia Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/22/03 03:31 PM
I haven't actually been to AC yet (we'll be coming 5/25) so I can't give advice on specific locations, but if you were to do the remote island idea maybe this would be a nice touch:
Ahead of time get yourself an empty oyster shell, then while you're walking along the water, take the shell out of your pocket (with ring inside) and pretend you found it washed up on the shore. Hand it to her and tell her to open it to see if maybe there's a pearl inside. I would love to see her face when instead of a pearl she finds a beautiful diamond ring.
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/22/03 05:52 PM
That is an option also Tesia. I had thought of taking a shell and gluing it closed with the ring inside, then having her find it when we go walking. Kind of torn between that and the bottle thing, if I do a remote island proposal.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/23/03 01:10 AM
Just gaze into her eyes and say "You won't want to marry me, would you? This approach always works great for me!!
Posted By: denverdan Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/23/03 04:55 PM
lol @ Bill
I really like the bottle idea! Since you did it once before it will have tons of meaning to her!
THEN... if ya both love AC you can wed there and use the bottle idea as wedding invites too. (who did that? Turnbaum? I can't remember, but it sounded sooo cool!)
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/23/03 05:37 PM
Lol..always works for you Bill? How many times u been married?

My step-dad is a country boy from Pennsylvania. He dated my mom for a couple years and then one day he said to her, "Hey Woman, guess it's about time we got hitched."

Beautiful. sniff, sniff. *wipes tear from eye*

I'm thinking the bottle idea is the best so far. Unless I hit on something better, I'm going to start working on that. I can write the poem myself.

If Belize turns out to be all it seems from here, then we just may get married there next year. When we first started dating, we talked about the perfect wedding. What we came up with was a deserted island with just the wedding guests, us, and whomever was going to marry us on it. We get married on it and then spend about two days on it with just the two of us in a bungalo, while the rest go to another island or back home.

In the meantime, from AC, any ideas of which island to go to for the bottle and sunset dinner thing? How about ideas of how to get there? I've never sailed yet, although I'm considering doing that sailing course. Either way, we'll prolly need dropped off and picked up. We wouldn't need anything too fancy like silver plates and Lobster waiting on the island, although that would be nice. We could have a nice picnic there. Whatever money we spend on this part comes out of our total vacation budget, so I want it to have a lot of meaning, but unfortunately I can't spend more than a couple/few hundred bucks on it. Wish I could.
Posted By: shelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/23/03 11:26 PM
Setting all jokes a side, take the time to enjoy each other. How about a night sail? Maybe a ring in her glass of rum/whatever?
Or a day sail, with fruit, berries, wine/drinks.

Write her a letter that explains your feeling and love. Men have a tendency to hide emotion and most women admire one who can speak it aloud. wink
Posted By: ScottKelley Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/24/03 12:10 AM
I've never had a problem with speaking my mind. I wish everyone were as open. Sometimes people don't like to hear what I have to say, so I try to work on the presentation. My 'problem' if you can call it that, is that I don't talk just to talk. Some people guage their interactions with people by how many words pass between them, not the words and underlying meanings.

If I do the bottle (which looks pretty likely) I'll write a nice poem for it about our relationship and its future. I've given her a few poems in the past, so its an ongoing thing.

I guess I want something that will make her feel like, 'wow, he went to all this trouble for me.' and 'it was the most beautiful moment.'

I'll be fine with whatever happens along the way (I don't get too frustrated when things don't go right) but I'm only going to do this once, so I want to make it a nice thing that her friends would be envious of, and make it as memorable as possible.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/25/03 05:00 AM
I was married once in the late 70's for 3 years. And... I'm still paying for it!!!
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/25/03 01:07 PM
Bill, if your still paying, give me her phone number ! laugh

Ernie
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Wedding proposal ideas?? - 05/26/03 11:04 PM
Ernie: I said I was still paying, but I didn't say how much!! I'm afraid that you'd tip over her little boat. Take care: Bill
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board