AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Misty1 Crime against tourists.. - 02/25/05 03:42 PM
The US newspapers are already reporting the crimes in Belize..why would this board remove messages, making the matter worse? Belize is the safest country in the region, but still people should be informed about incidents like the Cayo canoe robberies. Attempting to cover it up only, erodes confidence and makes the matter appear worse. Energy would be better spent pressuring the police to catch the perpetrators, rather than the board moderater to remove posts. Better for business (Iwould think)to read the truth here and what's being done to solve the problem than read the negative news in the Miami Herald or New York Times.
Posted By: CapeMay Re: Crime against tourists.. - 03/04/05 03:51 PM
I think there is an argument to be made against running posts that exaggerate the Belizean crime rate. Yes, there appear to have been several instances of river banditry. But these stories get blown out of proportion by everyone because of the media's "If it bleeds, it leads" syndrome.

Links to Belize news.com are easy to find. That's were to go to read about urban crimes, which Belize has just like any other place with 200+ thousand people living in it. Actually, I'll bet Belize has less crime than my county of 100 thousand people here in New Jersey, USA.

Tourism is a very spooky industry. One wrong story or poorly reported one can leads to scores of cancellations. I can't fault this moderator for not choosing to use up his bandwidth on hysteria.
Posted By: RICH GUY Re: Crime against tourists.. - 03/04/05 03:58 PM
I agree. People still go to LA and Miami without fear of getting shot in a drive by. People still travel to the middle east and survive, and people can swim in the ocean without being eaten by sharks.

There is a bit of common sense that people have to use.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board