AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: PROBUS "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/29/11 08:47 PM
I always thought this was a reference to the nasty biting insects, but is it in fact a corruption of Miskito?
Posted By: ckocian Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/29/11 09:09 PM
Yes, named for the indigenous people living there.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/29/11 11:18 PM
However we started calling the area on Ambergris Caye Mosquito Coast after a portion of the movie featuring Harrison Ford was filmed there back in the '80's.
Posted By: Gridguy Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/30/11 01:35 PM
Learned something new!
Posted By: elbert Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/30/11 02:38 PM
A lot of old maps show Belize/Hondurans as Miskito Coast after the people who lived there...that spoke Miskitu!...not to be confused with Sandflyjese :-)
Posted By: ckocian Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/30/11 02:46 PM
And mosquito:

Mosca = refers to common house fly in Spanish

Mosquito = little fly in Spanish
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/30/11 03:14 PM
Did anyone ever read the book Mosquito Coast or watch the movie? The movie is cool as you will recognize a few of the extras. My favorite still is Sir Barry.
Harrison Ford was a very scarry daddy in that one.

Having seen it long before moving here, I missed the fun of knowing the extras. Good reason to watch it again!

Legend also has it that the book was modeled on a real family journey that transpired in British Honduras ......

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/30/11 03:29 PM
I thought the movie was very dark. Shortly after I moved here I was loaned the book. I thought it much better than the film and was raving about it to Nurse Natalie who said "that was my father." She told me that Harrison Ford visited her mother, Miss Peggy.
Posted By: PROBUS Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/31/11 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Did anyone ever read the book Mosquito Coast or watch the movie?

Does anyone have a copy of the movie they could lend?
Well there you have it - Nurse Natalie let the legend out of the bag - it was and is her story to tell after all ......
:-)
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 10/31/11 08:11 PM
I have it but will have to dig around to find it. Will have it at my office at Sunrise Realty in a few days.
Posted By: PROBUS Re: "Mosquito Coast" on Ambergris Caye - 11/01/11 06:09 PM
Thanks Amanda.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board