AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: bobcat bill SANDY - 10/29/12 01:54 PM
To all of you that are effected stay safe and sound.
Posted By: Rykat Re: SANDY - 10/29/12 02:35 PM
getting ready to put our heads between our legs crazy smile
Its getting ugly just hope the power stays on
Posted By: Otteralum Re: SANDY - 10/29/12 05:50 PM
Take care Ry!
Posted By: Rykat Re: SANDY - 10/29/12 09:11 PM
THANKS O !
Posted By: ragman Re: SANDY - 10/29/12 09:51 PM
Good luck Ry. That area during moderate conditions is tough. I didn't have enough of nerve to ever try the Manasquan Inlet. I did do the Barnegat Inlet many years ago when I was young and naive but that was in good weather.

Looks like Atlantic City is close to the land fall. Good but limited hiding area there. Once I hid my boat across the river North of Atlantic City in the marsh. Water deep but narrow. Jersey Coast is litered with wrecks and there is a reason why. My last storm at sea was about 20 miles off of Atlantic City in 1995. Real scary night.

Good Luck and I hope you make it through this OK without damage or injury.
Posted By: ragman Re: SANDY - 10/29/12 10:53 PM
Ry, you reminded me of another of my sea stories, when you told me that you tied up to the bridge, hope no ones mines.

In 1991 hurricane Bob was bearing down on the Rhode Island area and I brought my boat up the bay and tied it
parallel to a foot bridge at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA.

My lines and chains were tied to pilings; rocks and trees. About 30 minutes before the storm hit a government official who was head of the State Park there came down and told me that I couldn't tie up to his trees. I went wild and told him that at this late hour that I was not going to untie the vessel. He wanted me out of there completely. I told him to call the State Police or whoever he wanted but I was not moving. He informed me that it was his duty to protect the trees or something and I pointed out that I had wrapped the trees trunks with rags so as not to damage them. He said that I might pull one over and said OK you can stay but remove your lines from the trees and tie off to the foot bridge.

I figure the foot bridge is worth about $5 mil. And the tree about $1,500. No way do I want to tie to the bridge. We argue for a while and then finally I tie to the bridge abutment with one line to get him off my case. One other line stayed to a tree.

When the storm hit the winds went up to 90-100 mph and the boat laid over right on its' side with the rail in the water, even though I had removed the sails and all the windage that I could. I figure that boat at 15+tons would have pulled that bridge over and guess who would have been liable?

Another case of government incompetence? By the way it is my interpretation of Maritime Law that no one can deny you safe harbor in an emergency which I believe this would have qualified.

Be safe tonight friend.
Posted By: seashell Re: SANDY - 10/29/12 11:21 PM
What happened to the tree?
Posted By: azbob Re: SANDY - 10/29/12 11:33 PM
RY be safe and everyone in the path of this monster.
Posted By: ragman Re: SANDY - 10/30/12 12:42 AM
Nutin, you tree huggers can relax, honest. wink Boat, tree & bridge made it through without a scratch. Me, I just got a few more gray hairs.

The rags protected the bark and when you tie off at the base of a tree which is about 12" + at its base it is pretty difficult to damage it. tired
Posted By: Ernie B Re: SANDY - 10/30/12 02:20 AM
Just how can you get "more" gray hairs ?
Posted By: clover Re: SANDY - 10/30/12 02:49 AM
Last time I saw him he had Just for Men hair in a light brown grin
Posted By: Ernie B Re: SANDY - 10/30/12 02:55 AM
But, he has a cute wife smile
Posted By: seashell Re: SANDY - 10/30/12 05:46 AM
My father swears by this stuff called "Youth Hair".
Posted By: ragman Re: SANDY - 10/30/12 01:18 PM
My gray hairs come mostly from some of the company that I keep like Mike and you, Ernie. wink I'm doomed to be completely gray with you two.

Ry, how did you make out? Let us know we are thinking of you.
Posted By: ragman Re: SANDY - 10/31/12 12:38 AM
Ry, When you get things sorted out let us know that you are OK. Your whole area got hit real hard especially with flooding. We all hope you and your family are safe and your lost of property was minimal.

All of your on line friends are thinking of you buddy. Wish you well.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: SANDY - 10/31/12 12:52 AM
DITTO !
Posted By: Bobber Re: SANDY - 10/31/12 01:00 AM
DITTO AGAIN.
Posted By: champion Re: SANDY - 10/31/12 03:45 PM
ME TOO!
Posted By: Rykat Re: SANDY - 11/01/12 05:47 AM
Thankyou all, got power back this am and internet, phone, and tv back tonite. Very tiny areas with power mostly all right on the shore are still in the dark.
24 hours of North to North east 35-50 knots and 24 hours of Southeast and South at 55-70 knots with gusts to 90 with a perfectly timed arrival at high tide.
New inlet cut through at Mantoloking.
Devastation along the beach is incredible.
Spent a truly harrowing night on the boat, all went well but truly frightening 14 hours especially at the high tide Monday night. Surreal!!!!
Boats 25-50 feet all over the place 3 landed on our commercial property, some big buck items too.
All in all we were very fortunate other than flooded storage areas,fuel pumps and electric boxes. Many people and homes in the area did not do so well. A number of gas fires and explosions, thousands flooded out.
Really feel for a lot of the people whose homes were demolished
Saw a great coastal tour on News 12 New Jersey think they have pics and videos of the coast.
After Monday night got a lot more gray hairs and needed a quick change of undies smile
Thanks all, will get back to politics real soon wink

http://www.news12.com/index.jsp
Hit: "Aerial views"

We are in Brielle just across from Pt Pleasant. Mantoloking is 5 miles to the south and Seaside approx 12 miles south
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: SANDY - 11/01/12 02:41 PM
Rykat, given all the devastation seen on TV, glad to hear you are OK there, must have been truly frightening....

Saw Governor Christie on the news. He said: "Right now, I don't give a damn about the election!"
Posted By: Rykat Re: SANDY - 11/01/12 03:12 PM
He has been known to be wrong on occasions! wink grin
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: SANDY - 11/03/12 05:34 PM
What the heck is going on in Statin Island? They are pulling out more bodies today? Where is the Red Cross and FEMA?
Posted By: Cara Re: SANDY - 11/03/12 07:37 PM
Glad you made it ok Rykat. We are in RI but inland, so we were ok this time around, but have not heard from others in the Keyport NJ area, where my husband is from. And now they are talking about a Nor' Easter coming through by the end of the week. Not sure everyone on the shore here, or affected areas elsewhere can take much more.
Posted By: Rykat Re: SANDY - 11/08/12 04:53 AM
6 inches of snow on the ground already tonight all I can say is "Uncle" and we were spared any major damage. Yuck!!!!
Posted By: Cara Re: SANDY - 11/09/12 01:30 AM
We got about an inch ourselves, but it warmed up and rained all day so it's gone now. Keep warm!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board