AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: coolcat Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/07/04 08:22 PM
Hey there folks!
Anybody ever try getting a fairly large "boombox" or a massage table into Belize/A.C.?Is it a drag?Can it be done?Extra fees?
Thanks.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/07/04 08:49 PM
No problem-cargo(shipping) -fairly expensive on carry on luggage.
Posted By: Tom Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/07/04 09:30 PM
Coolcat,

Have to agree with Pedro1 on this one. Airlines are charging about $100.00 US for any extra or oversize luggage. You can check with your airline on this issue, usally the info is on their web-site.
Kat
Posted By: coolcat Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/07/04 09:49 PM
Thanks Pedro1 and Kat.Would that cargo be the same plane?What kind of fees are for cargo...like by the pound,dimensions??
Posted By: coolcat Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/07/04 09:50 PM
Oh yeah..and what about the little Tropic Air type planes?Do they haul big items?What about the ferry?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/07/04 11:58 PM
Coolcat,
When we sent our massage table down, we shipped via Hyde Shipping. They do a great job, if you are east coast based.....
Cheerz!
Posted By: kerry Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/08/04 01:52 AM
i just came down with my desktop computer on continental...they allow 2 check in bags per person...can be up to 70 lbs each...check with the airline and they can tell you maximum measurements....i had no problems getting it here...tropic air couldn't fit it on the flight i was on, but, they delvered it to my hotel in the morning....all i had to do at customs in bze, was pay sales tax, so it is a good idea to have your receipt...good luck!!!! kerry
Posted By: coolcat Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/08/04 07:49 PM
Thank you Ibanole.I will keep that in mind.I live in New York and I'll check out Hyde Shipping.Do they have a website?What exactly does one do.Would they come to me and pick it up?Would I have to drop it off?I would imagine there would be some signing off either at BZ airport or in A.C??
Thanks
Posted By: coolcat Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/08/04 07:55 PM
Ibanole...I found their site.They are Miami based.I will contact them to see what's what.I have the feeling I'll be on my own as far as getting my cargo to them.
Just a thought.Has anyone ever heard of getting on board and making the trip with a cargo company?Obviously the goal here would be to have fun for less$$.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/08/04 08:49 PM
One thing to consider: If you CAN bring the goods down as oversized luggage, there is a 'slight' chance you can walk them through customs w/ out paying duty on them (depending on the whims of the person you deal with, if you can convince them the items are for personal use/that you are taking them back OUT of the country when you leave, etc.) If you ship them down, you WILL pay duty, possibly at the assessed value (as opposed to declared value, again, depending on who you deal with and what kind of mood they are in that day.) You will also pay sales tax... I'd call Hyde (Nelson or Benny) and get a quote and then decide. You WILL need to ship the goods to Hyde in Medley. You'll also need to figure out how best to get them from Belize City/port to San Pedro (that is, if San Pedro is where you are heading.) Tropic will fly them on a space-available basis... cheaper option might be to put them on the Thunderbolt (//www.ambergriscaye.com/thunderbolt) They can carry freight and have boats going several times a day.
As far as I know Hyde does not let passengers on their vessels. Neither does Amerijet (www.amerijet.com) who has cargo flights from Miami to BZE every week...
Posted By: coolcat Re: Transporting stuff to A.C. - 06/08/04 10:43 PM
SFJEFF:Thanks...much to consider
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board