AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Kra-Z-K want to purchase a bike! - 03/13/05 09:09 AM
Hello! I will be in AC for a few months, how do I purchase a bicycle? On the mainland and bring it by boat or do I buy it right in AC? What is the cost for a regular average bike??

Thank you
Posted By: SimonB Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/13/05 03:08 PM
Either way works, the last one I bought was $325BZ on the island and was advertised on the mainland for $250BZ (the hassle of going to the city wasn't worth it.)
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/13/05 03:47 PM
thank you!
Ke
Posted By: cindyb Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/14/05 01:36 AM
Buy local if you can and keep our fine merchants going!
Posted By: kippe Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/14/05 03:49 AM
a beachcruiser averages $250BZE on the island. Castillo's hardware usually have good deals! Make sure you get the ID number and save it! And buy a good chain and lock and always lock your bike.
Posted By: Fresh Salmon Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/14/05 09:36 PM
I got the best deal from Fredricks by the soon to be replaced ferry. Get the basket.
If you do alot of riding you might want to have the cheep factory bearings replaced and a lower rear gear installed. Fredricks is a bike shop so he is fast with repairs and upgrades. I just returned to the states after spending two months rideing around the cayes and mainland towns and country.I had fun, good luck.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/14/05 09:54 PM
Thank you thank you!!! where did you live during your two months. Was it hard to return home to the states??
KE
Posted By: Fresh Salmon Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/14/05 10:22 PM
I stayed all over, Caye Caluker, San Padro, up to the Cayo and even down south. San Padro has the best and longest trails. Caulker is small but has some good roads and trails.
Supriseing I was ready to come back. In my real life I'm a commercial fisherman in Monterey California, I enjoy my work.
Posted By: streetchie Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/18/05 09:55 PM
Ditto. Fredericks is the place to go. He'll build you a cruiser from the ground up if you like. Nice guy!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/19/05 06:38 PM
You might want to check out the Caribe Island bikes. They are all for sale.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/19/05 11:15 PM
that sounds great, but I am not going to live there until Sept... but I'll be visiting before then. I wonder if there is a place to store a bike for awhile? Perhaps I should just wait and buy one when I get there.
Posted By: Fresh Salmon Re: want to purchase a bike! - 03/20/05 03:56 PM
I think it's worth it to buy even if your only staying for a week. I had no trouble selling mine after two months of had riding for what I paid for it. I even made a little profit (I traded it to a hotel mrg for a $370bz tab)
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board