AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: KBG TAKING A DOG TO BELIZE AND RETURNING TO U.S. - 05/18/05 04:39 PM
What is the procedure you have to go through to take a dog to Belize and to get back into the U.S. with it? Who do you contact to get the proper info???
WHY? WHY? WHY?
Dehliala
Go to the home page on this board, click on help on the left hand side half way down, the imfo is there for Belize. Don't know about the states, but I bet your vet will know.

Now I can't get that darn song out of my head!
KBG, how long are you coming down for? I just moved down here with my dog and cat, and believe me it isn't worth the hassle unless you are going to be here for an extended period (and yes I love my pets, but the actual trip and adjustment was very stressful for them). I had to get vet certificates (must be an intl certified vet), rabies certificate, make sure you check with whatever airline you are flying on well in advance, and an import permit from BAHA in Belmopan - pls note that all the information that is currently on line is not correct pricewise. I paid $75 US for each pet and I had all the correct permits - supposedly you can bring them in without the Belizean permit (I wasn't willing to take that risk), but it will cost you even more. As for bringing them back into the US, I'd check with US customs or even SAGA down here might be able to help you as they adopt pets out to people who take them back to the states. Hope this helps! cool
[email protected]
To go back you'll need a health certificate that can be obtained from the vet on Wednesdays, it's good for one week only. Your pet will have to be carry on only to fly between May 15 and October 15 as the airlines do not permit animals in cargo during that time period.

The info that Katie gave you about coming in along with the e-mail for Michael will cover bringing your pet into the country.

Simon...
Saga Director
I am bringing my dog with me when I move in June, I ran into a problem with American Airlines, they will not transport an animal if it is going to be 85 degrees anywhere along your route, so I have made arrangements for Willy to travel Continental, alot more money, I would check your airlines animal transport policy, which I didn't do before booking.
Airline embargo on transpoting pets begins around now and runs thru the summer month, check with them.
Where is everyone getting these facts? Please check with each airline individually. Continental has NO embargo and allows year round into BZE as they are temperature controlled in cargo. They can fly year round in cabin or with cargo. American and many others do have embargo. KGB, please email me if you want full details. I have requirements, fees, etc all researched. what airline are you taking?
KBG,

Just did a 10 day turn around with our little pup.

Contact BAHA for your authorization to bring the pet in country. You will need an international health certificate from your stateside vet. As long as you do not stay over 30 days, that certificate will get your pet back in the states.

Quarantine at the Belize airport will inspect your pet. The charge is about $70US

Fly Continental. They are the only airline I've found that would allow pets in cabin on international flights.

Jake enjoyed the trip and we enjoyed having him with us. Write me direct if you have any other questions.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board