AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous Help needed with Customs - 03/08/06 06:00 PM
I have another problem with Customs. I recently imported a small package of forms from PADI, used to record student details (specifically, for those who understand these things, student record forms and DSD forms). Brought in by DHL. I've done this countless times before with no problems, but this package is being held by Customs who are demanding 50% duty! I have been told that as educational materials these things should be exempt anyway. Customs refuse to discuss the charge or the basis for it, and simply say they won't release it until the "duty" is paid.

I regard this as possibly criminal extortion by a government body, but what can I do about it? Does anyone have any knowledge of Customs rules - what constitutes educational material, what are appropriate rates of duty, etc? And can anyone give me a suitably senior contact in that area who is prepared to listen and respond rather than recite from a pre-prepared script?

I'm not going to pay 50% so I look like losing my shipment. So if Customs offer diveshops some cut-price PADI materials you'll know who they should belong to.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/08/06 06:37 PM
can you have them return it to PADI, return to sender, and then return and repurchase and have someone bring down for you?
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/08/06 06:38 PM
when do you need it by
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/08/06 07:52 PM
Customs won't return it to PADI, even if I wanted them to do that. They'll simply "seize" the package. That's standard practice in many countries.

As to when I need it, how about yesterday?
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/08/06 08:00 PM
Call a broker, I suggest George Bradley, in Belize City. It can help but you'll still pay something.

SIN
Posted By: reaper Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/09/06 03:19 AM
Hi P2...Henry Marsden is the Senior Customs Examiner at Goldson. 225-2069 or 610-3097
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/09/06 03:40 AM
Educational material is not exempt from duties. I think that the basic "books/materials" rate is around 45% of value, so 50% sounds about right.

Once in while you get caught and have to pay some duty - it probably makes up for the little leeway that the customs dept have obviously afforded you in the past.

If you are desperate for some of the forms now, surely you can borrow some from a fellow instructor, and replace them when you get your package cleared.

Mr Marsden is a very fair man, but once the duty has been assessed on an item, it is not going to miraculously disappear.

Many of us have a friend bring down an item or 2 when they come down on their vacations. And whether you like to hear this or not this practice is contrary to the customs laws of Belize. All articles that are imported should be assessed and possibly customs duties would be levied.

So on the once in a while occassion when you get caught - just pay up. What are you talking about $20? $200? Whatever the amount is I wouldn't doubt that you have probably been able to smuggle in items that have exceeded that amount over the past few years.... come on, let's be honest.

Cheating/smuggling-in small items is probably the most criminal act we all tend to partake in - after speeding of course. smile
Posted By: Marty Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/09/06 05:25 AM
search http://belizesearch.com by "customs" for even more information. these are among the first few results:

http://www.customs.gov.bz/
http://www.customs.gov.bz/traveller_info.html
http://www.customs.gov.bz/customsregulations.pdf
http://www.customs.gov.bz/customsexcise_duties.pdf
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/10/06 01:03 AM
I do not speed
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/10/06 02:20 AM
A likely story my man!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/10/06 11:37 PM
Me smuggle, Amanda? You must be thinking of some other English Peter - there are so many of us.

Reaper - thanks for the reference. I'll call Henry Marsden on Monday.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/14/06 01:30 AM
Interesting question about educational material. I purchased a lot of books the last time I was in California and had then mailed down at the special rate the US postal service allows for printed material. I fully expected to pay duty on it but when there was none was told they did not charge duty on books. However, they did charge me $6.35 sales tax. No complaint from me there.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/14/06 01:34 AM
Whatsa matter Pedro1 - too old to go fast? :p
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/14/06 03:49 AM
More than likely to fast to get old!
Posted By: silkpainter Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/14/06 12:16 PM
Books are supposed to come in duty free, but they will make you pay salest tax/duty on the postage.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/25/06 02:53 AM
I decided to forfeit the package and did nothing. It was delivered by DHL yesterday with a very small Customs charge added, ca 10%. Don't know what happened behind the scenes but I'm not complaining.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/27/06 07:24 PM
A further development. I brought is some other goods a little while ago, and out of 20 dive lamps purchased and allegedly shipped, 8 have gone missing. All the circumstances point to these having been taken after the boxes were delivered to Customs.

I was speaking to another operator recently who has also brought in goods, and he has also lost goods from the shipment in circumstances that point to Customs.

What can be done about what appears to be systematic stealing?
Posted By: Now Danny Re: Help needed with Customs - 03/28/06 11:57 AM
A shipment should be spiked with some hidden gps and see where they go.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board