AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: collyk Crocodiles - 11/18/08 06:48 PM
Marisa Tellez, zoologist and crocodile researcher from the LA Zoo will be back on San Pedro from the 10th - 16th December. Marisa has been researching crocodiles in Belize and presented a fantastic 'Croc Talk' the last time she was here.

I am arranging for her to do 'croc talks' at some of the schools. So far Island Academy and Holy Cross have bitten (excuse the pun, I just couldn't help myself). Marisa would like her talk to be available to all schools of all ages.

If you know of a school, which would like to have this entertaining and educational talk, please let me know so that we can schedule you in. If you have any contacts at a school that you think would like this talk, please let me know and I'll try to get it organised.

Marisa will be holding another public talk as well. This will be targeted at the general public and especially tour guides. So, if you know tour guides or run a tour company, please encourage everyone to attend. As we know, croc feeding continues, despite repeated efforts. Education is the key. This is tentatively scheduled for the 11th at 7pm. Further details will be made available as soon as things are confirmed.

Colette Kase

Posted By: JZB Re: Crocodiles - 11/18/08 07:44 PM
I think it would be very important to have our area rep and mayor at the public meeting. Hopefully we can make them understand that our tourists should not be cuddling up to these prehistoric predators as if they were a neighborhood dog.
Posted By: collyk Re: Crocodiles - 11/18/08 11:49 PM
I agree completely. We have discussed inviting Manuel Heredia. The Mayor was invited to the last one but was unable to attend, so we'll be inviting her again. Sunbreeze Hotel have just confirmed that they will be donating their conference room for the talk so please put the 11th in your diary at 7pm.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Crocodiles - 11/21/08 02:57 PM
The Crocks on our property are my best neighbors...says alot about the neighborhood!! The feeding of the Crocks at the water plant lake aren't conducted by formally trained "Tour Guides"...but, by local "kids" out for a buck from the tourista. I hope to attend the above meeting to further understand my "neighbors"...although the implication that SanPedrano's don't properly understand Crocks is a stretch. They have much for us to learn about their local habitat.
Posted By: elbert Re: Crocodiles - 11/21/08 03:19 PM
Bill don't try to lend a helping hand to your neighbor.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Crocodiles - 11/21/08 11:03 PM
...he is still mad from you taking him out of Ramone's Pool...and returned him to our "slums" on the other side of the airstrip.
Posted By: elbert Re: Crocodiles - 11/21/08 11:27 PM
OH that guy ,sorry !
Posted By: elbert Re: Crocodiles - 11/21/08 11:34 PM
i learned a lot about crocks from that experience. They really can't open their mouth with any strength ,only close it. so if you grab the snout and hold its mouth shut it can't open it to bite you, then if you flip it upsidedown it seems to get docile and you can shoulder it easily to relocate it. too much chlorine in the pool at ramons for anything wilder than a Texas debutant.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Crocodiles - 11/22/08 08:41 PM
...that's plenty wild!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board