AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: shuffles Tankless water heater - 12/14/08 06:21 PM
Need to find a tankless water heater asap. If anyone has one or has seen one in town anywhere, please PM me.
Posted By: belizegial Re: Tankless water heater - 12/14/08 07:12 PM
Certainly with this cold you need LOTS of hot water shuffles.

I take it you're talking about the electric water heater that goes right on the shower head.

Posted By: SP Daily Re: Tankless water heater - 12/14/08 07:43 PM
Benny's
http://www.bennys.bz/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=377
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Tankless water heater - 12/14/08 08:57 PM
Doesn't Harriette have a gas-powered instant water heater? That's "gas" in the British sense.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Tankless water heater - 12/14/08 09:11 PM
Peter I know I'm full of it - but no - I don't have one. LOL

I have a solar water heater that has it's own 40 gallon tank.
At the apartment in town I had one of those things that fit onto the shower head and almost electrocuted myself a number of times - they tend to short out.
In the states I had a true tankless system but it ran on natural gas and was sparked by electricity. I think I saw one advertised someplace here in Belize. I would talk to Mr. Castillo - he would know.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: Tankless water heater - 12/14/08 09:56 PM
[Linked Image]
3500 watts? yikes
Thats like 16 amps of 240 volt power.
That would stall most home generators.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 02:28 AM
They're commonly available in the UK, and are perfectly safe to use (in that environment). I own two in apartments I rent out, both (natural) gas powered. Of course, the electric ones are 240v.

Why not ask in a hardware shop with British roots? There are several in Belize City.
Posted By: AdvantageRealty Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 02:14 PM
Get a laser hot water heater, check at Wally's or Benny's, on demand, no tank, excellent, about the size of a lunch box.
Posted By: 1bzman Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 02:36 PM
I have one that I installed one year ago. It worked for six months, then worked intermitently. I replaced it and have it in storage. Coco (plumber/electrician) said it can be repaired.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 04:28 PM
Is "Laser" the brand name? How do they work?
Posted By: Phil Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 04:34 PM
I wish you better luck than I with the above heaters - I have three of them and tried various ways to get them to work over a year. Ended up ripping them out and installing a water tank. They are activated by flow so when you turn on the hot tap it starts the heater. However if the pressure is too low on the incoming side they dont recognise enough flow to activate or worse still they do, then as the pressure or flow lessons from the initial surge of turning on a tap they flip off after a minute or so. We are on WASA but at the end of the line in Boca del Rio. Suspect it will work if you can control the flow and or the pressure and perhaps great for washing machine or dish washer with even flow but a nightmare for a shower or sink basins where the hot levels change. They also flip on and off if you turn a cold tap on too quick as it sees the pressure differential which can't be good for it or your electric bill. I saw little to no difference in my electric bill for the year or so I perservered with them, to these days with the tank. That said a friend has his working fine and we could never work out why his worked and mine didn't. I also had one go bang rather spectacularly with a huge flash but it was the old style where the connections are on the top allowing any leak into the 240V electrics and yes 30 odd peak Amps is a lot of bang.
Posted By: Phil Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 04:38 PM
I got huge satisfaction in smashing them into little pieces with a large hammer.
Posted By: Mary1220 Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 04:41 PM
I have one in my unit at BYC it is about 2 feet tall by 1 foot wide, brand name is sol, works on a D battery and gas. Just don't know where it was purchased. It was put in a couple of months ago. It works good but you do have to adjust it to get it going right.
anyone know where this came from?
Mary
Posted By: Mary1220 Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 04:42 PM
Phil is right about the water flow.. that is the adjustment you have to get right to make it work.
Mary
Posted By: 1bzman Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 05:28 PM
Mine worked fine with the water flow, I have a pressure water tank off the cistern. Coco said it was in the electronics portion of the system. I think our great salt air got to it.
The 20 gal. conventional water heater works well, I was just trying to get some extra space for storage.
Posted By: shuffles Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 05:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I have checked every hardware store on the island, Wally's, Benny's, Brodies......no go.....must think about plan B...

Posted By: Phil Re: Tankless water heater - 12/15/08 09:00 PM
The bigger Gas ones are Chinese and come from Spanish Lookout. A pressure tank / pump mate as used on a well would have worked well if on a cistern system but not cost effective for mains.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board