AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Short Pigeon transfers data faster than Telkom - 09/13/09 01:16 AM
We should do a similar test with phone calls from abroad. A postal turtle would do the job! I hear that phone calls from Europe to Belize are as good as non-existent at the moment, and last week it took me 5 times to place a call from Mexico to Belize! Dear PM, can we please have VIOP back? I promise you that it will help our economy (and increase tax revenue)!

Hilarious article btw:
Originally Posted by Reuters
Pigeon transfers data faster than South Africa's Telkom

[Linked Image] JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African information technology company on Wednesday proved it was faster for them to transmit data with a carrier pigeon than to send it using Telkom , the country's leading internet service provider.

Internet speed and connectivity in Africa's largest economy are poor because of a bandwidth shortage. It is also expensive.

Local news agency SAPA reported the 11-month-old pigeon, Winston, took one hour and eight minutes to fly the 80 km (50 miles) from Unlimited IT's offices near Pietermaritzburg to the coastal city of Durban with a data card was strapped to his leg.

Including downloading, the transfer took two hours, six minutes and 57 seconds -- the time it took for only four percent of the data to be transferred using a Telkom line.

Read further here: http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE5885PM20090909

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board