AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Friends of San Pedro,a newly formed US based non-profit announces it's newly launched website.

http://www.friendsofsanpedro.org/

The soon-to-be IRS approved 501(c)(3) went live earlier today and is now ready to accept members and move forward with it's mission -
"...organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, more specifically to provide for the social welfare of the residents and community of San Pedro, Belize"
"The soon-to-be IRS approved 501(c)3" Not that hard to get, sounds like a good start to something good.
If this is a klc organized thingy... I'm in! smile
Thx Nova, but just the messenger this time. smile
This has potential but I am unclear about how decisions are made as to what group to support. If I wish to give money to the RC school for lunches, do you earmark that donation?
But I think that run well, it could make a huge difference.
Good luck
Pam, There is a forums and contact info button on the home page, as well as a phone number in the contact info section.
Looks great! Kudos!
I went to the web site looking for answers before I posted this response. I could not find them. Please do not misunderstand, I think it is a good idea , I just have some questions.
There is a lot of need and in my position teaching social work, I see odd places of need that , maybe, are not so obvious to others. I am just wondering if they might be eligible for funding is all.
Way to go guys and Ti!!! Member for now, more to come!
Originally Posted by pamkillen
I went to the web site looking for answers before I posted this response. I could not find them. Please do not misunderstand, I think it is a good idea , I just have some questions.
There is a lot of need and in my position teaching social work, I see odd places of need that , maybe, are not so obvious to others. I am just wondering if they might be eligible for funding is all.

Thanks Pam. Clover posted your question to our forums and I attempted to answer it there. If you have further questions, I'm happy to answer them.
I find Clover's signature very troubling. San Pedro does not need "friends" who think that way. Seriously.
I see the group is run by Jason Southwell, who is banned from this board due to troublemaking, and now he's on the dark side board a lot..

I hope the Friends of San Pedro treat folks on their message board better than they treated folks on this board. and pardon my skepticism on the whole thing.

Feel free to verbally burn me on this if you desire, but i have been around the horn with this fellow and didn't enjoy it.
He's not humble like me ? grin
maybe laugh , i have never met him. but he hasn't been "friendly" to me. mad
OMG I donate thousands of dollars every year to multiple charities. I have already made a sizeable contribution to this charity. I didn't realize that someone would judge an organization based upon those willing to donate to the common good of the people of San Pedro. Oh well......
no judgement. maybe it was something that he and i just didn't hit it off. Certainly they are quite capable of good deeds, their track record going forward will determine that, not a squabble on a message board a year ago.
well Marty you and i don't hit it off either, but that doesn't make me a bad guy - we must agree to disagree and keep good works for San Pedro in the frontsight. Jason and his crew have created an intelligent, transparent charity vehicle that can help just about anyone in need as indicated on the website. Again, kudos!
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
I find Clover's signature very troubling. San Pedro does not need "friends" who think that way. Seriously.

Diane, clover is a generous caring contributor to many causes in SP. Maybe you are reading too much into his 'signature' - just add levity - too often subtle humor is lost on message board posts due to the flat nature of written cyberspace communications.
To clarify - the signature I objected to (Clover's) said:
"Save humans. Pave the whales".
It has since been changed.

I found it very contrary to some of the things San Pedro needs to survive ---- like healthy sea life.

Personality conflicts aside, transparency (especially regarding how the funds are utilized) is an honorable quality...

I'm very skeptical of the accounting skills of the treasurer as pictured in the Board of Directors. Make sure you use an outside accounting firm is my advise.
Yeah the treasurer looks a little slimy and she has shifty eyes!
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
To clarify - the signature I objected to (Clover's) said:
"Save humans. Pave the whales".
It has since been changed.
I found it very contrary to some of the things San Pedro needs to survive ---- like healthy sea life.

I must confess, I changed my signature just for you Diane. On another note I don't recall anyone questioning my contributions to the Calendar Girls, or asking me anything for that matter, as Bubba and I cooked hot dogs at Canucks raising valuable dollars for a worthy charity. I believe that year you were Miss September. I guess a refund is out of the question. grin
LOL the treasurer does look to be a cold blooded individual...but then we cannot judge a book by its cover smile
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme

smile Jeff owes us a bio and photo. We will update the site as soon as he gets it to us.
Only going by the pic of the treasurer I'd trust him a lot more than I would some other people I have had the pleasure of meeting in my life! laugh
Hey Clover - thank you for changing your signature, and thanks for the good will that act implies along with your past-present-future contributions to good things.
Yes, a refund is out of the question on the Calendar Girls - we are far too old to remember who gave what.
:-)
I actually do not know anyone involved but any group who wants to give to charitable activities on the island is great. They need to do what every reputable fund raising group does and that is be open to questions, have transparency on the financials, and be safe in all interactions with the vunerable people they want to help.
Don't take the following statement in the wrong way because I am truly not make a judgement on anyone involved with this group because I have no idea who they are but there are too many people who come to Belize and exploit the kids and the other members of the population.So my questions also come from that perspective and I am merely overly cautious.
Hopefully you all will be able to change my inherent concerns by doing a fantastic job of helping to coordinate giving job
Oops sorry for the typo
i truly hope this goes better than the san pedro social club. by the way, does anyone know what ever happened to the cash in the bank accounts held in the groups name?
Gay, it has been over 3 years since the funds raised by SPSC were disbursed, as indicated in the message to all members, posted on this board, on March 17, 2007. You and Debbie are the only two former members of SPSC that we've heard from who are not, and probably will never be, happy with the way the donations were utilized to benefit the kids in San Pedro.

I'm posting the 3 year old message again for you here, since you raise this issue every six months or so. Thank you in advance for saving this for your future reference, instead of continuing to disparage the rest of us who are happy that we were able to help the donee groups.

Posted 03/17/2007 to the public:

Dear SPSC Members:

We are pleased to announce some GREAT news! After much research, due diligence reviews of various worthy groups, and working on the ground with the directors of the local schools to ensure that all funds donated will directly benefit the children of San Pedro, the Board of Directors has allocated all of the remaining SPSC funds, which are currently held on deposit at Belize Bank in the amount of $32,000.00 BZ (includes earned interest and exchange premiums) as follows:

Roman Catholic School: $10,500.00 BZ

Holy Cross School: $13,500.00 BZ (this donation was not given to HC School after additional due diligence review by Board; these funds were given to RC School and Calendar Girls Classroom Construction Project at RC School instead)

San Pedro Town Library: $2,400.00 BZ

Total Allocated: $26,400.00 BZ

These allocations will be disbursed on or before March 31, 2007. The balance of remaining funds in the amount of approximately $5,600.00 BZ is allocated to be disbursed to these groups by Dee Thomas, who resides in San Pedro, on an as-needed basis throughout the year.

The SPSC board has previously disbursed the following funds in 2006/2007:

Calendar Girls Project

Classroom construction at

RC School: $10,000.00 BZ

Holy Cross School: $5,000.00 BZ

San Pedro Town Library: $500.00 BZ

Total Disbursed: $15,500.00 BZ

TOTAL DONATED BY SPSC: $47,500.00 BZ

Upon final disbursement of the remaining funds, the corporation will be dissolved.

Thank you all for your support of the children of San Pedro and for your support of the Board of Directors in taking the responsibility required to ensure the funds are donated appropriately. You're a great group of folks and we wish you all the best!

Sincerely,

SPSC Board of Directors

Ernie Brannon
Dee Thomas
Shannon Carter
Beth Brannon
Can we go back to illuminating the new charitable organization so those people who would like to participate have the info they need?. I am thrilled about the work on the RC school. So many people give to the "IN" charity and Calender "girls" really were thoughtful about where they spent the money they raised and I for one appreciate that. Thanks
Oh full disclosure, I am involved with the library.
Because of donations, we now have a fully operative computer area open to ALL students of SP that comes with a free computer tutorial. All for free.
Thank you Thank you Thank you
Thanks to you, Pam !!!!
Pam, I agree, the library is very important.....read, read, read, the best education a child can receive.
Dear Beth,

"Gay, it has been over 3 years since the funds raised by SPSC were disbursed, as indicated in the message to all members, posted on this board, on March 17, 2007. You and Debbie are the only two former members of SPSC that we've heard from who are not, and probably will never be, happy with the way the donations were utilized to benefit the kids in San Pedro."

I have not contacted you personally or SPSC or posted in regards to being unhappy with the way any of SPSC donations have been utilized. I have congratulated SPSC's efforts on many occasions.
In the future I would appreciate it if you would not reference me unless you are being truthful about my involvement.

"The balance of remaining funds in the amount of approximately $5,600.00 BZ is allocated to be disbursed to these groups by Dee Thomas, who resides in San Pedro, on an as-needed basis throughout the year."

Gay did not say she was unhappy with the way the funds have been utilized. She asked and probably will continue to ask how the remainder of the funds you disclosed had not been spent in your accounting of funds on March 17, 2007 was disbursed.

Kind regards,
Debra Olson

Will this new organisation include Saga as a destination for much needed funds ? I ask as Saga IS the islands only not-for-profit animal welfare institution on Ambegris Caye.

I would like to clarify if 'Friends of San Pedro' is connected to the organisation that was supposedly being put together last year during the 'Saga-bashing' period on 'another' message board, not to be named here!!
Originally Posted by grant3wishes
Will this new organisation include Saga as a destination for much needed funds ? I ask as Saga IS the islands only not-for-profit animal welfare institution on Ambegris Caye.

Please visit our website for your answers.

...from our home page:
"There are many great organizations doing terrific work in San Pedro and we have no desire to replace or compete with them and their work. Instead we fully intend to cooperate and assist those organizations financially to fuel their work to be even more successful. "

Debbie, all of the funds were disbursed as reflected in the message to those particular donees. I don't know how much clearer any of we former board members can be on this subject. let's try this: ALL FUNDS WERE DISBURSED TO THE LISTED DONEES AS INDICATED IN THE MARCH 17, 2007 MESSAGE TO THE PUBLIC ON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 31, 2007.

I don't think we should continue any further dialogue about this matter, here or elswhere - there simply is no new information to provide you or Gay in this regard.

Let's release Gay's hijack of this thread and return it to the FOSP.
Beth, you said as an as needed basis...so where were the other funds dispersed?? Classroom construction at

RC School: $10,000.00 BZ

Holy Cross School: $5,000.00 BZ

San Pedro Town Library: $500.00 BZ
Was this followed through and if so can we see pictures what the money went to(the improvements)?on another thread
Left over amount went to.....That's 15,500BZ out of 47,500.00BZ

Sorry for the hijack/hijack
http://sanpedrosun.net/old/09-031.html
Friends of San Pedro has already raised over $3,000!

Great Work Folks!!!
Sweet!
Great web site , great idea . We will be proud members ,$ is on its way (mail Op.). Very easy to donate ,LOVE IT !
Wonderful how well you are doing so fast. Keep up the great work.
Originally Posted by fosp
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme

smile Jeff owes us a bio and photo. We will update the site as soon as he gets it to us.

Jeff's bio and photo have been updated.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board