AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Keep It Simple A question for the locals... - 08/22/10 02:46 AM
We just happen to run across an older post...Is there a need for a bicylce/golf cart repair shop?

Thanks,
Fanny & Zoltan
Posted By: pirate villas Re: A question for the locals... - 08/22/10 03:38 AM
? im sure up north could probably use one ive never seen one
Posted By: bywarren Re: A question for the locals... - 08/22/10 01:33 PM
I always thought if I wanted to start a business on AC, I would open up a snowmobile sales and service. That way the end result would be like most, I would go broke, but at least I would not have to work hard while doing it. wink
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: A question for the locals... - 08/22/10 01:49 PM
To answer the original question from Fanny and Zoltan - San Pedro seems to have sufficient repair shops for both bicycles and golf carts.

Posted By: natalie p Re: A question for the locals... - 08/22/10 02:39 PM
I think a week doesn't go by without someone I have met visiting here asking me to help them find where can they live, what work can they do. So many people who would love to live here. Can't blame them, it is beautiful here. But as in all places, there are good things and bad things. It is not easy making a living here.
Posted By: tortuga.chica Re: A question for the locals... - 08/22/10 05:23 PM
On the flight to BZE yesterday, I met a couple who after spending 1 week on AC on holiday were all about moving down to the island.

I am a relative novice to island life--as I have only visited for 1 week at a time (on my 3rd visit now). But, I will tell you this, being a member of this forum and talking to people who live on the island full-time has really opened my eyes to how challenging living in San Pedro can be. It is a beautiful place, with many beautiful people and beautiful things, but as Natalie says...It is not easy to make a living...

I told the couple that I met several things...(that I learned from people on this forum)

- Talk to people who live down there.
- Stay for a month at a time (trial basis, we'll say) @ different time of the year so you can experience all seasons that Belize has to offer.

Also, told them to join this forum. I find it very, very informative when it comes to knowing the "real deal" about life on San Pedro.

Posted By: elbert Re: A question for the locals... - 08/22/10 07:22 PM
I take my bike to ElGuapo's its close to the Texaco Dock and cheap. he also does motorcycles. it would be hard to beat his price and service.
I've had the idea that a landscaping business would be big. lots of new homes that need particular services.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by phishhippiegirl
On the flight to BZE yesterday, I met a couple who after spending 1 week on AC on holiday were all about moving down to the island.

I am a relative novice to island life--as I have only visited for 1 week at a time (on my 3rd visit now). But, I will tell you this, being a member of this forum and talking to people who live on the island full-time has really opened my eyes to how challenging living in San Pedro can be. It is a beautiful place, with many beautiful people and beautiful things, but as Natalie says...It is not easy to make a living...

I told the couple that I met several things...(that I learned from people on this forum)

- Talk to people who live down there.
- Stay for a month at a time (trial basis, we'll say) @ different time of the year so you can experience all seasons that Belize has to offer.

Also, told them to join this forum. I find it very, very informative when it comes to knowing the "real deal" about life on San Pedro.

thanks for the great advice, I have been reading post after post to get an idea of everyday life in the San Pedro area.

If anyone has any opinions and or information about Pirate's Pizza business, I'd love to hear it. THANKS

you can PM me as well..

much appreciated !
Posted By: Ernie B Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 02:59 AM
Who wants to take this ?
Posted By: klcman Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 03:10 AM
Steve - where are ya? smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 03:18 AM

I understand I am new here. My question is legit and if it's politically incorrect, somebody pass along info in a PM Please. I understand it's a small community, the broker and the owner appear to be friends and I am doing a little "due dilligence" on my own.
thanks
Posted By: SP Daily Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 04:00 AM
Never trust anything from a message board.
Posted By: bywarren Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 01:23 PM
Many people like to do business with friends. What does that have to do with you doing your due dilligence?
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 01:23 PM
On many occasions you will find that brokers/agents provide dual representation (represent both buyer and seller). There is nothing wrong with this as long as it is done properly. Frankly, it would not concern me that the seller and broker are friends. Look at the business for what it is and what it makes and verify those figures via taxes paid and product ordered. Simple really. I like Pedro's Pizza but hear that Pirates is also good. I do love the tag "Yo ho ho and a pizza to go"

Posted By: bywarren Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 01:48 PM
I totally agree with Jesse's statement. I would even go farther and say you should not take what you are told by anyone in Belize, or anywhere else, to be accurate without further clarification and verification.
For example, if you end up in Belize, you will be told by someone "right now". In Belize that meens anytime from immediately to the unforeseen future. smile
Posted By: ron Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 02:03 PM
Not sure where you're from but when buying houses in the States the real estate agent often represents both the buyer and seller. Doing your own cue diligence is necessary no matter where you buy. Its your money at risk.
Posted By: Keller Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 02:36 PM
Does Pedro of Pedro's Pizza own Pirates Pizza?
Posted By: purdygrl Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Keller
Does Pedro of Pedro's Pizza own Pirates Pizza?

Yes Peter owns both Pirates and Pedro's.
Posted By: elbert Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 02:50 PM
Was that a pause for commercial interruption?

Posted By: bywarren Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 03:24 PM
Elbert, sometimes the depth of your perception is beyond the comprehension of even the intellegent. I would have taken that as an answer to a legitimate question.
Posted By: elbert Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 04:03 PM
You wouldn't perceive this thread to be yet another Peter Troll Marketing Technique?
Maybe I'm overly suspicious of Peter and Peter Posters.
Ignore me and continue on folks.
Posted By: bywarren Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 04:22 PM
Well harleynot, there is your first taste of this "small community". You are accused of being a troll.
Posted By: purdygrl Re: A question for the locals... - 08/27/10 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
You wouldn't perceive this thread to be yet another Peter Troll Marketing Technique?
Maybe I'm overly suspicious of Peter and Peter Posters.
Ignore me and continue on folks.

Elbert I am a friend of Peters and I do not deny it. However the question was ask legitmatly. I know Peter is happy with Pirates and was told by a ReMax agent (not one of his close friends) that the amount he is asking for Pirates is about 50% less then what other businesses are asking. Lets not turn this thread to a Pedro bashing thread. I am assumeing as a person looking to purchase a business on the island, that the poster is asking questions to see what other people think about the business.
Also I would like to add as a business man Peter knows most realestate agents on this island. Of course he is going to list his business with someone he trusts and is a friend.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: A question for the locals... - 08/28/10 01:03 AM
I would love to comment but Im bitting my tongue.
Posted By: bywarren Re: A question for the locals... - 08/28/10 01:07 AM
Ah, come on. That's no way for a jarhead to act.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A question for the locals... - 08/28/10 01:58 AM
Thank You everyone who replied to me privately. Much Appreciated!
To those who are bored and paranoid, I guess I gave you something to do. I hope during my extended upcoming visit we can all play nice, have a laugh and not be so shallow. I'll buy the first beer and extend a handsake...the second beer is to be determined..

Sincere thanks for the interaction !

See ya soon,
Harleynot aka Peter Poster

P.S.
so, apparently no motorcycles allowed eh?
guess I'll be needing a Hot Rod golf cart then....

send pics and prices please...

Posted By: bywarren Re: A question for the locals... - 08/28/10 03:40 PM
Unfortunately there is everything from semi-trucks to SUV's, to sport cars, to motorcycles, to ATV's, to golf carts on the island. The limiting factor is getting a permit.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A question for the locals... - 08/28/10 05:51 PM
thanks Warren, I could not find useful vehicle information online.
Posted By: t42 Re: A question for the locals... - 08/28/10 05:52 PM
Just curious is it the land/location being sold or just the business name and assets?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: A question for the locals... - 08/28/10 11:49 PM
"Peter-posters?" Yikes, tell me not to giggle at that one.

OK ........ BACK TO PIZZA - Pirates Pizza is GREAT pizza!! I cannot attest to anything at all about the business side of the deal, but as a customer with a healthy appetite, I think they make a fantastic pizza.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A question for the locals... - 08/29/10 12:23 AM
Appreciate all the responses, truly I do!

For those of you not convinced that I am truly just a dude asking questions.....this should help.

What's a Chill Weekend ?
Is it just a time share presentation? Is it something that San Pedro as a community organizes or just the time share / condo sales people ?

Posted By: Keller Re: A question for the locals... - 08/29/10 12:58 AM
It is where you spend $299/person or $399/couple to have someone sell you something. smile
.....all weekend long.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A question for the locals... - 08/29/10 01:03 AM
It is where you spend $299/person or $399/couple to have someone sell you something. smile
.....all weekend long.

Next question, what do I need to know about cell phone service?
GSM 1900 un-locked phone is what I'm being told. Can anybody give me a short and easy answer?
Thank You
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: A question for the locals... - 08/29/10 02:21 PM
Who is offering the "Chill Weekend" ?

Posted By: Keller Re: A question for the locals... - 08/29/10 02:58 PM
Baymen Garden - ECI Development
Posted By: Marty Re: A question for the locals... - 08/29/10 03:53 PM
amen on pirates pizza Diane. Yum.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: A question for the locals... - 08/30/10 01:32 PM
Baymen Garden - ECI Development

Oh ....... thanks for the info.
Posted By: ron Re: A question for the locals... - 08/30/10 07:22 PM
You have the answer. The unlocked means that you do not have that phone tied to a particular cell phone carrier, e.g. verizon or AT&T. Your US phone service will work in Belize but its expensive. Bring an unlocked phone and you buy a sim card and phone number and pay local rates. I buy my unlocked phone on line at J&R Music. There are other that sell them. You can also have your US phone unlocked.
Posted By: slowlyretiring Re: A question for the locals... - 09/09/10 03:30 PM
Pepperoni's Pizza is MUCH better. Pirates Pizza wasnt bad, but for $32.50 USD, thats an inferior pizza. If I have to pay that much in the US, its in a nice chic italian restaurant.

As for the price of the business, there have been 2 other businesses that have sold for HALF the price of Pirates Pizza and they have better reputations. I am sure Prate's has a good amount of expensive equipment in there, but you're also buying the "reputation" that Peter has....and everyone has been skirting around saying what that reputation is. Keep that in mind.

Also, why would he sell you a Pizza business when he already has another one that is a direct competitor. If I was him, I would sell Pirates to you, cut my prices at Pedro's in half, advertise like crazy with the $100k USD that you gave me, drive you out of business almost immediately, and then re-secure my previous market share. Sounds like a setup to me. Might want to think this one through a little more.

Its nice to think that everyone in San Pedro is nice and remotely trustworthy, but for the most part, there are a TON of shady people and snakes in the grass to watch out for.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: A question for the locals... - 09/09/10 03:43 PM
Speaking of pizza. Pinnochio's makes some amazing pizzas - fired in their oven. And so does Blue Water Grill. And of course let's not forget Rojo's pizza. Mmmmmm.
Posted By: slowlyretiring Re: A question for the locals... - 09/09/10 04:01 PM
Rojo's? Like Rojo Lounge? I heard that everything that they make is really good. Havent had Pinnochios yet, but I hear its good. Im betting that its not cheap though.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: A question for the locals... - 09/09/10 04:38 PM
I don't know if good and cheap go together very often!
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: A question for the locals... - 09/09/10 11:39 PM
Amanda, it might work if you say it with a drawl real fast..

good-n-cheap

Even then it probably should not be anyone's first choice.....
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: A question for the locals... - 09/10/10 02:39 AM
LOL Judyann. My husband always says that when something is expensive that I kind of say the price real quickly in a low voice!

Posted By: slowlyretiring Re: A question for the locals... - 09/12/10 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
I don't know if good and cheap go together very often!

You've obviously never eaten at a Brown Bag deli. And even if we stay on the subject of Pizza, Papa Johns is half the price and makes Pirates Pizza taste like 5 day old pizza from Little Caesars.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: A question for the locals... - 09/13/10 01:12 AM
No I haven't had many US fast food type stuff. Took my son to a McDonalds for the first time his life. He said it sucked. So there you go.

Never been to a pizza hut or papa johns or a little Caesars - but I have seen the ads.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: A question for the locals... - 09/13/10 01:36 AM
My God Amanda,
I didn't realize you were so disadvantaged!!
You ain't missing anything except the people.Feeding time.Fun to watch.
Those places are factories. The machines do all the work.
They even make the seats uncomfortable so you don't hang around.
Eat and get the ^%$# out is the motto. And clean up your own mess!!I throw the tray and all in the trash when I leave.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: A question for the locals... - 09/13/10 04:00 AM
I tell you - I love the food in Belize. Hard to get a bad meal anywhere, from the street food, to the huts to the beach front restaurants.

Posted By: Judyann H. Re: A question for the locals... - 09/13/10 05:07 PM
Amanda, I agree....Even if I buy fresh meats and vegetables in downtown San Pedro to cook at home...My old Recipes come to life with the great flavors of the naturally good food of Belize....Carrots taste like carrots, tomatoes taste like tomatoes,the garlic and onions are as good as it gets.....Love it all!
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: A question for the locals... - 09/13/10 05:38 PM
Love Belize carrots! Steamed with some cream and a little butter. They are so sweet and full of flavor.
This is our new favorite way to do cauliflower: large head of cauliflower. Steam to crisp tender. Transfer to pie plate or ovenproof dish.
Moi 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Spread over the top, sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake in oven at 375 degrees until brown on top.
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: A question for the locals... - 09/13/10 06:50 PM
Mmmmmmm....Sounds great! Sorry we have to miss this year's S.A.C.N.W potluck.....
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: A question for the locals... - 09/14/10 04:14 AM
We will miss having you here. Hope the weather cooperates. We are having a spaghetti dinner this time and hope the whole neighborhood shows up.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board