AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: pitt92 Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 10/12/11 12:18 AM
Hello,
I am thinking of investing in a proerty in Belize. I see the advertisements all over for Santuary Belize. I have contacted them and had long conversations. While everything looks and seems legit I was wondering if anyone out there has had any dealings with these folks? And yes I have been to Belize, but not to the Placencia area. thanks
Posted By: Tim Callanan Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 10/12/11 01:33 AM
Go with your gut,have you talked with other owners?
It looks to me you already have an impression,we have worked with people that had come from there and had mixed feelings.If you check forums and keep up with your research you will find out if that is an investment,for you.Good luck and don't believe everything you hear,seeing is believing.
Posted By: Phil Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 10/12/11 05:42 PM
Id also read the Belize Forums. There's nothing wrong with looking and listening to other opinions so long as you make your own mind up. There was one spot on the mainland that had a terrible rap with a similar name and people were jailed - Sanctuary Bay. It could be different and if not it could be resolved but it can't hurt to look at others views and experiences and be informed before you decide.
Posted By: Kathy Belize Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 08/07/13 02:58 PM
I actually bought property here three years ago. This place is NOT a scam. I am in the process of building my house now. This place is awesome, you should go on a tour. The equity in my land has increased by 50%. Any questions please ask.
Posted By: Kathy Belize Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 08/07/13 03:00 PM
Sanctuary Belize is not a scam. I am a property owner and this place is wonderful!!!!
Sanctuary Bay and Sanctuary Belize are the same place, but with different management now (so far as anyone can tell.) I have visited it a few times and most recently took at a fairly lengthy tour with Chris Usher (son of the chairman of the board) about three months ago.

I have to say I was impressed with a good deal of what I saw and heard, though at the end of the day it's in a fairly isolated area and I think even the owners admit it will be many years before there's a real community of people and infrastructure at Sanctuary. You're around 45 minutes from Placencia village or Dangriga town by road. I feel the same way about, say, Orchid Bay in Corozal District, which is close to the same distance from Corozal Town. In both cases part of the road is dirt/gravel.

Neither place would be the place I'd want to live, a long way from medical care and amenities like a choice of restaurants, groceries and entertainment, but it clear that sizeable numbers of people have bought into the dream. In fact, Usher at Sanctuary Belize told me that on their last "tour" group of 40-some prospects who flew in from the U.S. (I assume most were couples, so it was probably 20-some couples), 100% of them agreed to buy a lot. He didn't offer any proof of that, but I have no reason to doubt him.

As to the oft-heard claims made about increases in property values, I think most economists or real estate experts would point to the difficulty in determining what the fair free market price is for lots, even resales, in a fairly remote area of Belize, with the supply and price of lots essentially controlled by the seller and released from a large inventory, and the well-known lack of verifiable real estate market data in Belize such as you have with MLS and other hard data services in places like the U.S.
Posted By: Preston Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/20/13 08:07 PM
Kathy Belize: I actually bought property here three years ago. This place is NOT a scam. I am in the process of building my house now. This place is awesome, you should go on a tour. The equity in my land has increased by 50%. Any questions please ask.

Everyone should Know that Kathy Belize is Kathy Ellis.

She gives a wonderful review of her builder here
http://ebtbelize.com/testimonials.php

There is only one Kathy in all the building permits for this area and it is Kathy Ellis, that's how I know it is her.
http://cbabelize.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/UPDATE20AUG209-1320PlanLog1.227102833.pdf

She goes from board to board hyping this development.
see example http://internationalliving.com/2012...h-town-thats-easier-than-ever-to-get-to/

What she neglects to tell you is that she was employed by Sanctuary Belize.

Her facebook page
[Linked Image]

There is a lot of funny business at this development -- people going to great lengths to hide who they are.

read http://getoutofdebt.org/52655/sanctuary-belize-andis-pukke-todd-cook-peter-baker

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/20/13 09:19 PM
I see a canal or river with mature trees from the banks to the left. From that water source to the water source on the upper right it looks like they bulldozed down every living thing.
That is criminal!!! and ugly!!! and unnecessary!!! and just not nice or smart.

I have to wonder what it looks like now at full moon, with high tide and all this rain.???
Posted By: IslandLife4Me Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/21/13 04:12 AM
Thank you so much for that information. I wasn't interested in this development, but very appreciative in anybody taking the time to make a forum snake be held accountable for their shadiness. Just seeing the clearcut and bulldozed appearance image in your screen shot makes me want to vomit...
Posted By: witness Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/22/13 12:10 AM
Everyone should also know that you are also a multiple forum "never anything good to say" troll.
Astute choice of screen-name, suits you perfectly.
Posted By: IslandLife4Me Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/23/13 10:29 PM
Unfortunately, I agree with being anonymous and not named your real named, but also find the humor in being called out by "witness" and "Kathy Belize" which are both one topic fake posters as well. Maybe I should even try to change mine to my real name. However, in the case I am reading right now on this actual thread....I am glad that a "bitter jackass" exists (as would have it those type of whistle blowers are typically very good people forcing others to be held accountable and in essence watching karma slap you in the head) that is very obviously bitter against people deceiving others for their own personal monetary advancement as well as the complete disaster on the Belize environment with a clear cut like shown in that pic. How do you even get a permit for something like this in today's day and age? frown
Posted By: artisan Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/24/13 10:16 AM
I am not anonymous, or take a side either way in the development of SB.
You and Jackass are both from the US.
What could you possibly know about the logistics of building a livable habitat in a swamp?
Jack.
Jackass is a negative troll, this much I do agree with.
You think things like this and worse never happen right in the US?
BTW, SB is not on an island, good luck to both of you with the bash-everything campaign.
Posted By: IslandLife4Me Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/24/13 03:34 PM
Artisan, I'm assuming you are saying the above to me bc I am the one who called it an Island. What information I could get to work from their site advertises it as a private island retreat so that is where I got that. Yes, I am from the US, born and raised on the Mississippi River and plenty of crop, flood, and swamp land and the joy of that in a situation like what SB appears is that if they cut the trees, they eliminate their erosion from the River. They lose their land after a few years bc the River moves boundaries anyway, but does a whole lot quicker if it has nothing holding its ground in place. Even if they work the system around and get to build then they wins up sued by the suckers they sell to when their homes start having structure problems. Lawyers run very thing in the US some good some very very bad. Yes, many people have been dumb enough to develop swamp and flood land all around here over the years. They won't be building homes or selling lots for homes bc if something is in a flood zone then the permits will not be issued and the ground would never pass its perk tests. Also, in the US you can't build on "fill dirt or sand" anyway. Building codes don't even come close to each other in US and Belize and you should know that. I have no desire to even visit or purchase anything in SB and only said anything on the matter bc I don't like others trying to deceive others into believing they are a property owner, when they are apparently actually the struggling developer instead. I don't care if the whistle blower is a bitter or always happy person...just that the truth is given.
Posted By: ckocian Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/24/13 04:35 PM
Artisan, do you know what jackass bitters is?

Bitter Jackass is just a play on those words. He's neither bitter nor a jackass. But he does convey a cautionary word about the Sanctuary Belize development. Anyone considering buying there should really do a thorough research job as a lot of what they portray as actual is misrepresentation.

BTW jackass bitters is a Belizean-named plant often used in the concoction known as bitters, drunk by Belizeans when it is steeped in Everclear.
Posted By: artisan Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/24/13 06:06 PM
This very same thread was just closed down on the BZ forum because of all the trolls.
If you had read it, you would know that many people were sick and tired of the same old boring neigh-sayers.
Post your discontent if you must, ONE time will do, no need to make a career out of it.
CK, do you think that obscure piece of local folkflore is why BJ really chose his screen-name?
I fully expect more of the usual negativity now, maybe you guys can get another thread closed down.
See Yah.
Posted By: IslandLife4Me Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/24/13 06:21 PM
I have nothing to do with any of that. Didn't have a clue that there were other forums in Belize.
Posted By: ckocian Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/24/13 06:29 PM
That's fine. There has been plenty done if anyone needs any more info.
Posted By: IslandLife4Me Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/24/13 10:02 PM
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=226
Found this by a Google of Sanctuary Belize. Just read most all of it. I don't agree with developers posing as anonymous people claiming to be land owners, BUT...unless you actually have LOST money or have property there and have been screwed around by the developers, or have an actual home there now...I don't really see how you can know for certain what is going on there. It feels like a mini America to me and that's not my idea of the purpose of moving to Belize. However, it may be the desire of others. Placencia looks like a great place to visit, but also seems to be very Americanized development. Some desire to move to Belize to live in paradise with all the comforts in the States BUT...many many others had rather move to Belize for a more simplistic Belizean life style. It's what floats your boat.
Posted By: witness Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/25/13 12:15 AM
Get a grip will you, this is not Palm Beach, there are pretty much no amenities there yet, you still have to drive miles for anything you want.
You can "know for certain" what is going on if you drag your butt there, look around, ask some buyers, pretty much the only way.
Placencia looks like a nice place to visit?
What are you a Google earth virtual traveler looking at other people's snapshots?
"Float your boat" down there, and THEN give us a VALID opinion.
Posted By: IslandLife4Me Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/25/13 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by witness
Get a grip will you, this is not Palm Beach, there are pretty much no amenities there yet, you still have to drive miles for anything you want.
You can "know for certain" what is going on if you drag your butt there, look around, ask some buyers, pretty much the only way.
Placencia looks like a nice place to visit?
What are you a Google earth virtual traveler looking at other people's snapshots?
"Float your boat" down there, and THEN give us a VALID opinion.

I have a very good grip and don't care for your post at all Forum troll "Witness". My opinion is valid to myself and your opinion doesn't matter to me at all. Initial gut instincts are usually more accurate than trusting anything said anony on a forum. I first just heard of SB when "Kathy" who is now quickly trying to disassociate from SB on her Facebook since being called out by the Bitter Jack A. (Unfortunately that info came up in a simple Google too. I usually have a very good sense of initially evaluating things as easily sometimes as a "Google" are enough to bring more negative up than anybody would want to know and still have find enough positive to follow through and check my instincts. Google is actually one of the most powerful and easiest ways to fact check many many things. I've googled while in Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, Canada, Alaska, and I could go on and on!!! I would "Google" you but a pile of crap just comes up a pile of crap. Go join other forums as a "witness" just to respond to SB posts. I care nothing of this place just from seeing the other things and troll following defenders like you that have joined just to stir up discussion. If you have no face or name then you are not valid to me period. After reading much more, your and others efforts to "stir" up things bring more negative feel to SB than anything. Who would want to purposely move to such a place and risk having to live near that alone? Check all the drama at the border! I'm done responding to a proven idiot in my opinion. What positive I tried to find and even consider for my visit the end Of this month to make a purchase before the end of the year wouldn't be considered an option now after reading your opinion. It's obvious that you have other motives like the rest with SB posting everywhere trying to throw smoke over any negative. Maybe it' will just sink back into the swamp and take everybody in the world like you with it. Funny and ironically, this forum usually comes up at the TOP of Google results. Which I would now thank Lan Sluder for posting and bringing this whole topic back up so that new people to this forum could smell a rat in SB too. I shall run. Far away. btw, when "real" people with names message and email you off thread it is enough for me to know that a rat is a rat and nothing more....even if you change its name, put a dress on it or try to pass it off as a beautifully dressed or deliciously prepared gibnut.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/25/13 05:12 PM
San Pedro floats my boat (and depending on road conditions, sometimes my golf cart). Islandlife, come on over to the cayes - our geography presents certain self-limitations on becoming too "americanized" - and I for one like that. San Pedro is still very much "Belize".

Living here I can paddle a kayak to the reef and snorkel - and it's not a big athletic feat to do so (sorry Placencia, the reef is gorgeous down south but its 12 miles away). I can join in the town merriment if I want - accessing fine dining and parties and lots of shops, can participate in good causes etc. Or I can savour the natural beauty and quiet of our home-neighborhood (which does have infrastructure if you want tv, internet etc)where the big events of the day are Elbert's photos of dawn, feeding the hummingbirds and walking the dogs.

Posted By: IslandLife4Me Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/25/13 06:09 PM
Some of my rant last night got deleted. Luckily I had copy pasted it in case that happened. Here is what was left out.

By the way, I do NOT consider a 7,000 square foot home at a cost of 1.4 million US living without much of anything NOR living like a Belizean. By the looks of this one built in SB you might as well be Palm Beach (the fact that you have referred to Palm Beach show me you are one of the California developers bc nobody on my side of the US would ever reference it). Nobody should live like this in Belize. Sorry, it's not needed and in my humble opinion totally defeats the main purpose that most American expats desire to move to the country. http://forum.sazua.com/about4539.html

That isn't my idea at ALL of me needing to feel sorry for somebody that claims they aren't living like an American bc they don't have all the luxuries and they still have to drive to town for things. I have often felt at times that San Pedro has even felt too Americanized...after seeing Placencia and SB just in photographs online, I shall NEVER feel that way again. Just so you understand me fully after all of my international travel choice locations that will always fill my heart and life with more than any monetary object could dare....toilet paper, a choice in food sometimes just food at all, and a luke warm shower are all luxuries not traveling into town to "buy" stuff. Just reading some of the mess in the HOA screams "American"! http://www.sanctuarybelizehoa.com/home/board/board-of-directors/

A 1.4 million dollar home on a lot that cheap is common sense it won't ever add up to success. Sell that with your ocean front property in Arizona. Rant Over.
Posted By: WeLoveBelize2 Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 04/09/14 08:27 PM
Let me set the record straight. Sanctuary Belize is not a "scam" in any way, shape or form. It's bar none the premier real estate development project in all of BZ and frankly in all of Central America in my opinion. I toured the project a few weeks ago, (after touring five other developments in BZ and Central America) and I purchased three lots at SB. I can honestly say that nothing else even comes close.

The people who posted on this site either have a hidden agenda (competitors perhaps?) or have never been there. I discussed the "legal issues" that were mentioned by another poster with John Usher (principle of SB) when I was there and he very openly explained the situation to me. The fact is, and it was very evident in the documents that John showed me, is that one of the old investors had civil legal problems in the US that were completely unrelated to Sanctuary Belize. The cases were resolved and fully settled almost seven years ago and John and SB have full legal releases. Again, I saw the documents with my own eyes. And by the way, they are very willing provide the documents to anyone who desires to see them. Don't listen to rumors, research the facts.

The bottom line is that SB has won the award for the Best Mixed Use Resort and Residential Development in all of Central America at the International Property Awards three years in a row. Does anybody in their right mind really think that a "scam" would win such awards?? All I can say is that the place and the people behind it are amazing and I would highly suggest touring the project for yourself before listening to any of the morons posting on this site. Let's also not forget that this site is predominantly for people living on Ambergris Caye. As a result, I can almost assure you that they've never stepped foot on SB property. Lastly, if you want to listen to anyone, go to www.sanpedroscoop.com. They visited SB the same weekend that I was there and they wrote an incredibly accurate, four article, description of the place.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 04/09/14 09:01 PM
What about best real estate development in all of North America? Bar none?

Posted By: WeLoveBelize2 Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 06/05/14 04:19 PM
Anybody that's interested in Sanctuary Belize may want to review the link below which was written by a recent visitor:

http://caoexpeditions.com/tag/sanctuary-belize/

Again, research the facts for yourself and by all means, take the time to visit the project. You won't be regret it!!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 06/05/14 05:47 PM
Please list the names of the developers.
Posted By: Jenine Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/11/14 08:36 PM
Well hello to everyone on this very controversial topic.
I have financial interest in Belize and find all of this interesting.

Thank you bitter jack for providing verifiable information. Perhaps the SB corporate guys were cleared but being involved in that type of litigation to begin with raises flags for me.

I would like to know if anyone has knowledge of the SB corporation, the office in California and are financial statements provided? Is the property deeded to a purchasers name? Month fees associated?

Thanks, Jenine

Posted By: Jana M Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 09/22/14 06:25 PM
First thanks to WeLoveBelize2 for jumping into this maze of erroneous information. Seems a lot of people are somewhat ignorant about what they're posting on. That means they simply don't have the knowledge about and doesn't mean they're stupid - that's not what I meant. I don't have all the info either.

Luke Chadwick and Johnny Usher, a native Belizean who lives in SB, are the two developers - NOT the guys who went to jail. They care very much for this project and it is not a scam. Is it perfect? No. Is there a perfect community ANYWHERE? No.

To my knowledge, Kathy Ellis has never worked for SB. She IS a lot and homeowner and has been living full time in SB for several months.

As for the eco-system, SB works extremely hard to maintain and protect the 5 systems they have in the project and all they're doing to accomplish that has been done with government approval. They have a sustainability guy just for this.

Yes, the property is deeded with the purchaser's name and yes there are monthly fees - just like I pay in the US. And I am a lot owner in SB as well smile

Posted By: Lagoon 400 Re: Sanctuary Belize. Is it a scam - 10/01/14 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jana M
First thanks to WeLoveBelize2 for jumping into this maze of erroneous information. Seems a lot of people are somewhat ignorant about what they're posting on. That means they simply don't have the knowledge about and doesn't mean they're stupid - that's not what I meant. I don't have all the info either.

Luke Chadwick and Johnny Usher, a native Belizean who lives in SB, are the two developers - NOT the guys who went to jail. They care very much for this project and it is not a scam. Is it perfect? No. Is there a perfect community ANYWHERE? No.

To my knowledge, Kathy Ellis has never worked for SB. She IS a lot and homeowner and has been living full time in SB for several months.

As for the eco-system, SB works extremely hard to maintain and protect the 5 systems they have in the project and all they're doing to accomplish that has been done with government approval. They have a sustainability guy just for this.

Yes, the property is deeded with the purchaser's name and yes there are monthly fees - just like I pay in the US. And I am a lot owner in SB as well smile

I'm curious..... Why is it that MOST of you PRO- SB posters, all have one thing in common..... When I review your Profile Info, NOTHING Is There!!!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board