AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Malathion spraying - 10/20/12 02:49 PM
from Facebook yesterday:

Healthy Belize: If you spray malathyon from a truck sprayer on the street, does the spray penetrate my 'formerly recognized' organic vegetable garden?

- Medical research from the University of Florida and University of South Florida Medical, demonstrates that contrary to what the public is being told by the Agriculture Industry and some governmental agencies, scientists are stating that malathion (even at low levels) is in fact, a harmful chemical.

- I believe your answer would have to be yes malathion gets into our water.
Levels of malathion in water as low as 5 parts per million were shown to cause heart defects in some types of fish. The fish were studied at Rutgers University in New Jersey. Researchers stated that malathion, if exposed to newly fertilized eggs, caused circulatory defects including - irregular heartbeat, blood clots, oscillating blood in the heart, pericardial edema and physical defects in the heart formation itself.
This quote is from www.chem-tox.com

-Early this morning (5am) they sprayed here in Belize City.

-They've been gassing PG in the early morning the last couple of mornings.

-if you can - ask your Vector Control officer what is the date the malathyon was manufactured.
If it is greater than three months old, then the malathyon has become the more toxic.
"The technical grade malathion (the type we are exposed to) contains approximately 11 impurities. It is these impurities which scientists state are the main poisoning ingredients in malathion. One impurity has been shown to be approximately 500 times more toxic than purified malathion (based on the amount needed to kill test animals - LD-50 is 20 mg/kg compared to 10,000 mg/kg for purified malathion). It is called - O,S,S-trimethyl phosphorodithioate (OSS-TMP for short). Researchers state this, and other malathion impurities, actually increase in amounts during simple storage (especially 3-6 months after manufacture), making malathion far more toxic than when it was first manufactured. OSS-TMP and other impurities have also been shown to increase even more rapidly when exposed to temperatures around 100 degrees."
How high do the temperatures become for the drums sitting in direct sunlight or at the Vector Control facilities in the non-air conditioned rooms?

-hmmm.... this spraying is under the Dept of Health? Or... Agric? Or.. Environment?

-It is indeed Public Health Dept... but no one will be available to talk with until Monday.

- I believe it is the Ministry of Health. Here in PG Vector Control comes under the local hospital (hence my assumption).

- yes... I contacted the hospital here (Belize City)... was told to call 223-1213 on Monday to speak with someone about this issue.

- We have (yet) to actually make contact with our ultra busy and unavailable local Vector Control (in PG).

MoH local office if anyone else wants to try: Mrs. Oneida Smith (Southern Region manager), [email protected], 522-0623 who is in Dangriga.

I encourage anyone to call, if not for raising awareness.

- after waking to a 5am spraying here in the City... when I ran into the Mayor at a local restaurant, I just had to talk with him about it. I told him I could send him additional information... he gave me his email addy... so...

-The reason the Health department sprays is to prevent Malaria and Dengue fever. Spraying to kill mosquitoes is cheap and effective. better then the old practice of spraying the individual houses with DDT! What I would like to know is, would Neem spray work as well and would it be healthier?

-If neem + chersanthum isn't enough, bacillus thurigis israelenisi is extemely effective. Comes as mositoe dunks to float on ponds. Does not harm fish, people or birds. I have been using this product for 20 years on all of my water feature installations.

-Yes, that stuff may be better than DDT, but my question is why the Belize people are being poisoned with toxins that are forbidden almost anywhere else in the world??? Ah, cheaper. As if that ever was a solution. Pisses me off big time. Does whichever governmental dept. who is responsible for this even care what they throw on the people? If they do know, you wanna bet it is not going to be sprayed in their backyard! I wanna bet that there are healthier solutions out there, a lot also has to do with education! But huh, that would involve actual work like research etc.

-They sprayed us in Hopeville last night. We sat with rags over our nose and mouth for a long time. Isn't that a great way to spend your evening. UGGGG

-They used it in California years ago, when we lived there. It damaged the paint on automobiles. Wherever the spray landed, the paint was damaged...not sure if it was just the color or if it actually 'ate" the paint. But people's cars were "dotted."

-After lots of meds and a round of antibotics, Tommy is finally getting over being sprayed right in the face. It really affected his lungs, BAD stuff!

- I think the spray program is sponsored by US AID. I said if was cheap and better than DDT. Not that I agreed with this practice. I lived twenty five years in the rainforest/jungle and never had malaria or Dengue. But when I moved to Dangriga I got Dengue and when I moved to Belmopan I got Malaria. The human vector is needed to transmit these.

LINK
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Malathion spraying - 10/20/12 10:28 PM
very interesting!
Posted By: Bear Re: Malathion spraying - 10/21/12 01:25 AM
5 parts per million, 5 ppm, or 5000 parts per billion, is chemically speaking, not exactly a small amount when you consider that water contaminants are typicaly expressed in single digit parts per billion (0.005 ppm) or even tenths of parts per billion (0.0005 ppm). Thats 1000 to ten thousand times less than the level cited in the fish report. One therefore needs to take the comment "as low as 5 ppm" in proper context. Relatively speaking 5 ppm is a huge quantity in terms of water quality measurements.

I'm not defending anything here. I'm just sayin that it's important to understand the mathmatics of pesticide measurements relative to their minimum effective rates and the point at which they become hazardous. That said I'd be interested in reading the new UF and USF reports as the sprayers blow right by our place.

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board