AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScubaLdy Growing rice - 09/18/14 02:21 AM
Where can I buy rice seed to grow some rice? I don't need it as a crop but do need it to grow in my pond.

Since I can't seem to find any regular pond plants for my turtle pond I decided to seek other alternatives. My research turned up RICE - why not??

I just need something growing to suck up all this nitrogen.

I have solved the algae problem - bales of barley hay. It really works.
Posted By: Inplub Re: Growing rice - 09/18/14 01:12 PM
When are you planning on going into production? (Jasmine Rice I hope)
Posted By: Maya House Re: Growing rice - 09/18/14 02:11 PM
Hey Harriette - Have you checked with Lady Bug Nursery for anything? They have a little turtle pond right out front, and they have some water plants in there. Also, they can/will bring anything you want over from the mainland. You just have to give her/them a call before they place their next order.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Growing rice - 09/18/14 07:08 PM
John - you get me the Jasmine rice seed and I'll do share cropping with you. LOL

Lisa - I called Lady Bug and they said, yes they had pond plants. I went in yesterday and what they sold me was a spider plant and a photos. I also bought an interesting one called Bottle Plant that is NOT for the pond.

Today I found an interesting looking grass clump with seed heads I know the birds will love. I had Rene put in in one of my nice ceramic pots and on the step that has several inches of water covering it. At least it will look good for a while --- and the price was right.
Posted By: Maya House Re: Growing rice - 09/18/14 09:16 PM
YAY!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board