AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Freezn Looking for Building Advice - 11/15/14 09:25 PM
I am new to the forums and noticed some dated posts regarding builders architects etc.

We have photographed and knocked on doors and talked with a lot of people regarding their homes etc. We have visited at least 3 times a year during different seasons over the past 3 years and have a good idea what we a looking in our home. Now we want to start to build.

In a dated forum posted about a year ago someone wrote

'If you are planning to build on the island your plans must be drawn up by one of the 'authorized' architect. The San Pedro Town Board has a list posted in the office.'

The only issue we are having is starting the process of getting plans drawn approval etc.

Can someone explain the process required in San Pedro and is there way we can get a copy and contact some of the authorized architects?

Your help is greatly appreciated
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Looking for Building Advice - 11/17/14 03:49 PM
Visit the San Pedro Housing and Planning Authority. They'll have all the info you need.
Posted By: R.P. McMurphy Re: Looking for Building Advice - 11/17/14 06:23 PM
[quote=Freezn].....The only issue we are having is starting the process of getting plans drawn approval etc.

This is NOT going to be your only issue, just the start of many headaches to come!
Posted By: cracked up Re: Looking for Building Advice - 11/17/14 07:17 PM
list of approved architects in the Belize phone book under: APAB (Association of professional Architects)
page 11 of the yellow pages section
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Looking for Building Advice - 11/18/14 12:47 AM
I am the one who posted the warning. I had complete blue-print quality drawings but had to have an architect (one on the list) draw them up and he decided to redo them and they were kinda (lol) like mine.
There do not seem to be any codes here and standards are very different. Words do not mean the same here as in the USA. It will be very important to be here every minute of the process. I suggest you lease for at least a year before even starting the process.
Don't get me wrong - I love it here and love my house but I sure would like to start over. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sanpedroconstruct Re: Looking for Building Advice - 01/18/15 10:24 PM
Please email me at [email protected], I will have answers to your questions.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board