AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Eternity75 Clearing land & builders - 09/21/16 07:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a lot on the island. I am not ready to build just yet, but doing some background research so I know what to expect. My lot is on the northern part of the island and the land would need to be cleared before building. I am wondering what the approximate cost of clearing land is and an estimate of the number of hours it would take to clear land for 9000 Sq feet? Also looking for recommendations on reputable companies to do this as well as reputable builders. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am pretty new to this and trying to figure out where to begin and somewhat of an idea of the costs involved. I am assuming any equipment would need to be brought in on a barge or something as there is currently still limited road access (but it's getting there!)

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Clearing land & builders - 09/21/16 11:11 AM
Land clearing is generally best done by manual labour. That way you can save the vegetation you want and the soil remains more intact. Usually costs less that way as well. Cost for clearing varies depending on how dense the vegetation is.
Recommend not doing anything until time to build as it will just grow back. Your builder can probably arrange the clearing of the land.
Posted By: Eternity75 Re: Clearing land & builders - 09/22/16 07:35 PM
Thanks Diane,

Any recommendations for builders? Are most companies fairly honest and straight forward in their business dealings? Anything you would watch out for with regards to choosing a builder or advice on HOW to find or choose a reputable builder?
Posted By: Eternity75 Re: Clearing land & builders - 09/22/16 07:37 PM
At least with manual labour, although the time taken to clear land will be longer, the cost of moving large pieces of equipment up north won't be an issue. That's good to know. Plus I didn't like the idea of just bulldozing all the trees...I would LOVE to keep what I can! smile
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Clearing land & builders - 09/22/16 08:59 PM
You want to hire a builder who us currently active and currently competent. Further, you need one who builds the style you want in the area you want to build.
When it is time to build, check recently completed homes in your area and take a look at the results....
Posted By: Eternity75 Re: Clearing land & builders - 09/23/16 04:18 PM
Thanks Diane, I appreciate the advice!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Clearing land & builders - 09/24/16 05:07 PM
AND you need to be on site every day!
Posted By: Pebbles Re: Clearing land & builders - 09/25/16 12:18 PM
I live on the north part of the island and have had contractors build my house and clear the land. Contact me if you need current accurate information.
Posted By: JEL Re: Clearing land & builders - 01/10/17 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
AND you need to be on site every day!

You really do not need to be on site along as you find a competent builder. We had Graniels build our house while we were away. They either took pictures for us on a Friday or the following Monday. We always got pictures every week to keep us updated on the status of the build.
Posted By: anygee Re: Clearing land & builders - 01/15/17 05:11 PM
I strongly disagree with JEL. We spent 8 months building a home with a very competent builder and we were on site every day. And every day there were items to discuss and decisions to be made. We also had a webcam on the site and could watch the construction from anywhere with internet access. Photos, and video, are nice, but no substitute for being there.

Posted By: elbert Re: Clearing land & builders - 01/15/17 06:24 PM
100% agree with anygee. You will suffer greatly by not being present while the construction is going on.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Clearing land & builders - 01/15/17 09:26 PM
You will be amazed at the number of things you take for granted - like electric and plumbing incorporated INSIDE THE WALLS. My guys still argue that it is important to have them on the outside of walls "so you can get to them."
We take for granted the dimensions of cabinets and drawer - not standard here. In my condo I had drawers that were more like bins.
I was not on site while the lower section of my house was built and I paid dearly for that. I was on site while the upper section was built and every day there was at least one thing I "caught" before it was too late.
Then there is also the issue of building material vanishing.
BE SMART - BE HERE.
Posted By: dabunk Re: Clearing land & builders - 01/16/17 01:17 PM
Agree you need to be there!!Things grow legs and disappear even the most competent and recommended builder will not do it the way you want it even if you supply detailed drawings somehow they will know better ways!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board