AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: rickcheri volunteer work - 05/27/01 02:42 PM
When Rick and I move, my plans are to do a little volunteer tutoring in reading/writing skills. Would also like to teach a small gymnastics class, either at the school or private. If my efforts are "volunteer", would i still need a work permit? Would these things be welcome on AC?? C
Posted By: Sandcrab Re: volunteer work - 05/27/01 03:54 PM
The section concerning your question has been "bolded" by this writer. It indicates that volunteers need work permits whether paid or not. You cannot do it if a Belizean will do it. See also this website for updates: //ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/immigrationpolicy.html

**Jim

Work Permits

There are two types of work permit applications: a) Application for permission to employ a foreigner: Any foreign citizen who wishes to work in Belize MUST be a legal resident (have resided in Belize for at least six months). He or she must be in the country legally, with proper visas and/or permits issued by the Immigration Department. The prospective employer must submit the following to the Labour Department: The application for the foreign worker he wishes to hire; three passport photos; $10 in stamps; a valid passport; and proof that this individual is qualified for the job. At the same time, the Labour officer must be satisfied that all efforts to employ a Belizean have been exhausted. This includes providing proof that the vacant position was advertised locally for at least three weeks, following which, no suitable applicant was found;

and, b) Application for Temporary Self-Employment: This category would apply to foreign investors, among others. All applicants must be in the country legally, with proper visas and/or permits issued by the Immigration Department. They are required to produce proof of reasonably sufficient funds for their proposed venture (i.e.: local bank statement of account). Applicants must also obtain a reference from the relevant Ministry or Local Organization concerned with the category of work involved. In such situations, the six-month residency requirement is waived, and it is assumed that the venture will lead to creation of employment for Belizeans in the future.

Work Permit Fees are now as follows: Professional and technical workers: $750; general workers: $100; seasonal agricultural workers: $25 per crop; entertainers in groups of two to five: $250 each; individual entertainers: $150; missionaries, educational and volunteer individuals: $25.

Barring exceptional circumstances, work permits will not be granted for waiters, vendors, domestic workers, and farm hands.

For further information, telephone the Immigration and Nationality Department at: 501-8-22611 or -22423; or the Labour Department at: 501-8-22204.

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 05-30-2001).]
Posted By: rickcheri Re: volunteer work - 05/28/01 12:37 PM
So, OK.....would these services be welcome on AC? And if it's volunteer, why would it be so difficult?? Am looking for info from someone who lives there....i know the gov't info......C do not want to be paid for my services!!

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 05-28-2001).]
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: volunteer work - 06/01/01 07:18 AM
educational and volunteer individuals: $25.

Humm -- This is very interesting. I was the admissions manager for a public teaching hospital. When I move to Belize I want to do volunteer work at the new hospital that should be opening about the time I arrive. It never occurred to me that it would cost me (or them) money to have my help.
I am certainly interested in more information on this topic.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: volunteer work - 06/02/01 03:50 AM
are you saying that we would pay them for volunteer work??? Is this gov't law and where does this $$ go?? JESSE.....WE WANT some help...your advice is always "right on"!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: volunteer work - 06/02/01 04:08 PM
The BZ$25 is a token fee collected by Immigration when issuing a work permit to a non-paid volunteer or missionary. It doesn't even cover the administrative costs to government. Don't fight it. This isn't like the US where everyone debates everything. The kids even pray in school!
Posted By: Chloe Re: volunteer work - 06/02/01 04:20 PM
I agree don't fight it, much like buying a card to Sam's Club in the US, so we can spend money with Sam's. LOL Most any place in the US you volunteer with, you have to buy their vest, coat, name badge, and pay dues.
I am sure it is just a method to document who is who and what they are doing for Belize.
Which is a good thing. Makes sense.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board