Belize & Ambergris Caye Help

Do I need a passport or visa to get into Belize?

You must have a valid passport to enter Belize, with at least six months before expiration, but visas are not required for citizens of the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and most Caribbean and European Union countries. Entry is granted for up to 30 days, with renewals of up to a total of six months permitted.

TIP: You do not automatically get entry for 30 days; the exact period, which may be 7 days or fewer, is up to the immigration officer stamping your passport. He or she usually will ask how long you plan to stay. Just in case you decide to extend your stay, when answering it’s best to err on the side of estimating a longer stay.

When leaving Belize by air, there is a US$20 exit fee for those who are not citizens or residents of Belize. These fees must be paid in cash (either Belize or U.S. dollars) and are collected by the ticket agent when you check in for your international flight. It is now included in your ticket and you do not pay it when flying Continental.

When leaving by land, at either the Benque Viejo border with Guatemala or Corozal border with Mexico (but not when you go by boat to Guatemala, Mexico or Honduras), there is a US$20 border fee. Children under 12 accompanied by parents are exempt.

TIP: If you return to Belize in less than 48 hours, your border crossing fee is credited against your departure tax when leaving by air, so save your receipt. Note also that those leaving by land borders usually are charged the US$3.75 conservation fee; this, too, can be credited when you leave by air, so save the receipt and avoid having to pay the fee twice.

All visitors to Belize, including children, must have a valid passport, good for at least six months beyond your departure date. Most visitors, including those from the U.S. and Canada, do not need visas. Entry for international visitors arriving Belize by air is at Philip Goldson International Airport in Ladyville, just north of Belize City. Immigration officials grant stays of up to 30 days, depending on how long you say you expect to stay. To get the longest period, say you plan to stay "about a month." Tourist stays may be extended for up to six months, by paying a small fee, but you will need to visit Belize City and apply for the extension. You will go through customs at the international airport, usually a quick and fairly painless process. If you are flying to San Pedro from the international airport (a 20-minute flight on Maya Island Air or Tropic Air), proceed to the domestic terminals. If you are going into Belize City, either to catch a ferry or to depart from the Municipal Airport, get a taxi at the front of the airport (US$15).

Click here ( for Entry Requirements for Belize and laws governing immigration and nationality.

For a wealth of information on investment, retirement, residency requirement,s work permits, and more, click here (

2.8 (5)
Article Rating (5 Votes)
Rate this article
There are no attachments for this article.
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Full Name
Email Address
Security Code Security Code
Related Articles RSS Feed