following information will assist visitors who are considering
getting married in Belize.
Click here for extensive, very detailed information on getting married in Belize and Ambergris Caye
REQUIREMENTS FOR A CIVIL or CHURCH WEDDING IN BELIZE
Most hotels will help with your arrangements including securing a minister or officer of the court to perform the ceremony. However, if you wish to make these arrangements on your own, please contact the Registry Department before you leave home to secure a licensed person and court date to perform a legal ceremony.
Your marriage in Belize will be valid internationally.
1. Both parties must be in Belize at least three days before applying for a marriage license.
2. Forms can be obtained from two locations: General Registry, Supreme Court Building, Belize City and Attorney General Office, Belmopan.
3. Forms must be completed and signed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace (J.P.). Ask for J.P.s in your area.
4. Completed forms along with the following must be presented to General Registry or Attorney General:
Proof of Citizenship in the form of an ID card or Passport
Photocopies of your passport showing your picture and date of entry into Belize
Proof of Marital status, if widowed or divorced
Marriage license fee (US $100)
5. The normal approval time is one week
6. Two witnesses who can be local volunteers willing to help, must accompany couples who have a legal ceremony in court. Cost: US $5
Marriage license - $100 US
Legal ceremony in court - $5 US
Religious officer - Varies (donations to the churches and schools welcome)
Registry Department Contact Information
Monday to Friday 8 am - 12 nn & 1 pm - 5 pm
DOING IT ON YOUR OWN
To get the festive elements of your wedding organized you can choose to do it yourself or request the assistance of your resort, hotel or tour operator. With most hotels offering personal service yours is sure to have some experience in making these arrangements. There are often often wedding and honeymoon packages complete with accommodations for the happy couple and as many family and friends that wish to come along,someone licensed to perform the ceremony, catering, room service and decorations to your specifications.
With the paperwork and legal ceremony complete in Belize City, you can have your dream wedding in whatever setting you choose, using anyone as your minister. Remember this is where you get to be creative and have fun.
Belize has a wide variety of religious denominations including: Roman Catholic, Anglican, Episcopalian, Methodist, Faith Assembly of God, Jehovah's Witness, Baptist, Mormon, Mennonite and Hindu.
1. Request a fax of the marriage license application from the Registry Department before your arrival for your personal revision.
2. Be present at the Registry Department to make your application as early as you can, especially if you have a short stay in Belize.
3. If you have guest and family coming for the wedding, ask hotels to provide itineraries for your honeymoon and a separate one for the rest of the party.
4. Once you have some details on what you want your wedding to be like - i.e. # in your party, length of stay, type of ceremony, where you want to honeymoon, and any special requirements, we encourage you to request quotations and packages from a variety of providers. We would be happy to forward your request for direct responses to you if you complete the form on our contact page.
5. There are very few traditional bridal shops in the country so either bring your wedding attire or choose from colorful tropical attire in the local gift shops. However, remember that there are less shopping choices the further away you get from the main towns.
6. If you plan to get married at an Archaeological Reserve, (Maya Ruins, sites), please fax a letter requesting permission one week before the ceremony. Letters should be faxed to the Commissioner of Archaeology, Mr. George Thompson, at 822-3345. Please include the date and time of ceremony; names of bride, groom; priest or Justice of the Peace; and site of ceremony.
Please contact the Department of Archaeology at telephone # 522-2227 or 822-2106 and fax # 822-3345 for conditions for weddings being held at archaeological parks in Belize.
Click here for one brides experience...
Click here for ten good reasons to get married in Belize...
For arrangements, questions, and the benefits of years of experience organizing weddings in San Pedro.
Romantic Travel Belize
Whether an elaborate affair with 100 guests on the beach, or an intimate destination wedding ceremony atop an ancient Mayan Temple, RomanticTravelBelize.com will work with you to craft a Wedding in Belize that will surpass your most wildly romantic dreams.
For your other wedding needs see:
Kay Scott Photography
Katie Valk can take care of all your wedding and honeymoon plans,
and can also handle your guests reservations as well.
Conch Creative Photography
Colette Kase and Maya Papovic do thought provoking work.
Jose Luis Zapata Photography
Capturing Life, One Shot At A Time
Olivera Rusu Photography
Specializing in artistic photography in Belize.
Jennifer Sharp Photography
Rene Rhys Photography
Artistic lifestyle photographer servicing the Belize area.
Make up, manicure, pedicure, I will go to the resort and reserve my day for your special day.
Tech Transilvania - Video Production & Photography
Wedding floral designs
Myah Casado McNeill, Wedding Photographer
Amazingly beautiful work. Based in USA, comes down often.
Thomas Boyd/Documentary Wedding Photographer
Specializing in Destination Weddings
Las Terrazas Resort
Kama Lounge and Bistro Bar
Here are a few other links:
Photos in the slideshow at the top of this page are by Kay Scott, Conch Creative, and Glo Photography
- Mark and Melanie Golem's Wedding- Photos and description of their wedding at Sundiver Beach Resort, on Nov. 14th, 2001. Good reading for those contemplating having a wedding on the island....
- AmbergrisCaye.com Message Board, use search word "wedding", leave the rest set as it is and hit 'Perform Search.' Read threads regarding weddings on the island on our message board. Lots of information available.....
- 360° Wedding Panoramic Images
Double click on the .exe after downloading or unzipping to view!
- LeAnn and Todd, married January 3, 2003, in the garden at Caribbean Villas. 1.6mb download, as an .exe file click here, or as a zip file, click here.
- Ted and Joyce, married at Tres Cocos, "El Cohon" house, on January 21, 2003. 2.7mb download, as an .exe file click here, or as a zip file, click here.
- Sharon and David, married at Ramon's Village Resort, on January 24th, 2003. 1.5mb download, as an .exe file click here, or as a zip file, click here.