Sharks in the Hole

Gray Carribean Reef Shark from this weeks visit to the Hole Aug.3rd
http://scubalessonsbelize.blogspot.com/
20 Comments
IRM #244521 08/07/07 02:47 PM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
No I think just more of the same.
Its common/routine to see these Gray Carribean Reef Sharks on every visit.

1. Are these reef sharks at all dangerous? Anybody ever been attacked by one?
2. How come you never see them off the AC reef?

Last edited by Razorfish; 08/07/07 04:48 PM.
IRM #244533 08/07/07 04:59 PM
And when we flood a camera that's when we get a new one!
Actually, there is a company that sells flood insurance. DEPP (Divers Insurance Protection Program) They covered me for some very expensive stuff! Good people.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't think sharks are dangerous. I have seen them at ambergris caye but rare,don't know why.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Actually, there is a company that sells flood insurance. DEPP (Divers Insurance Protection Program) . . .

good to know.. I just had a "floater" added to my home ins policy. Never did have to use it.

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
I've had a shark approach me in the Blue Hole. I was reasonably concerned but since I was also a bit narced, I wasn't as scared as one would think. I've told this story a few times so if you are curious, you should be able to find it with a search.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

There is a strange phenomenon that happens to me when I put a camera in my hands. For some reason I act as though I am invincible.
At the Blue Hole Billy was adamant that when we came up to the ledge EVERYONE was to stay on the ledge and he would attract the sharks up to him - out over the blue water. As soon as they started coming in I swam out into the blue and started filming. Unfortunately the water was so stirred up that the sharks were barely visible.
Later I remember what he told us. Oh well!
Just like the time I was shooting a building at 9th & Harrison Street in San Francisco one Sunday morning. It was an old beer warehouse and it was being torn down. One side was ripped off exposing hundreds of huge tanks. I set up my tripod and Mamiya 2 x 2 camera from every angle and was just not satisfied. Finally I stepped into the middle of the intersection (5 lanes each way). WALLA! There was always a lull between traffic coming from each way. I would run out, take some readings, run back to the curb, and then run out again. Finally I had everything set and started to shoot when traffic was approaching - I simply held out my hand like a traffic cop and stopped them while I got my shot. Again - later - I had to question my sanity. But hey - the shot is great and I even sold one 11 x 11" one for $250. That was in the mid 80's.
I guess a camera is like a nerve pill.

Harriette
Seashell, I agree with you on the narced theory. Thats my only explanation for neither my wife or I having any concern about these sharks schooling closely around us even before we got to the ledge. For some reason we did not know until 5 minutes prior to jumping in the water that this was a 130'+ dive. I know I've been some what narced at 100' so it's a reasonable assumption.

Scubaldy, cameras do not make me feel invincible. Holding a camera out in front of me does not make me want to get any closer to the mouth of a moray or barracuda. Those guys have scary teeth. I think you have to respect Mother Nature and the laws of physics.

Razor - should and do are two different things. I know something just goes click in my brain and I go for the shot!

Harriette
I was at around 115' when the shark approached me. The ledge is around 40'.

Sigh. I want back in the Hole!! Why do I love it so much?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.