Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
2 Images
What's wrong with this picture?

Here's a common mistake: The subject is lost in the clutter. In this case, Mr. Moray is hard to find against the background of the reef substrate. As Robert Cappa said "if your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough"[1].

Sometimes when shooting wildlife, however, the subject won't let you get close enough. This is one of the times when I wish I had a housed SLR with a long lens. With a single lens reflex you can focus accurately, even with high magnification lenses. That means that you can get a frame-filling shot without physically getting too close.

Dab

Note 1. Robert Cappa was a Time-Life photographer back in the day, best known for his D-Day photograph of The Face in the Surf. He died after stepping on a land mine during the 1st Indochina, or French-Vietnam War, proving that there's a fine line between "not close enough" and "too close".

Last edited by Dan Carey; 08/26/08 11:20 AM. Reason: Better link
5 Comments
P
P
Makes a good case for using a rebreather!

P
P
A request to Marty (there's nowhere else to make it - sorry Dan for hijacking your post!).

Can you arrange it so that either in this section, or in a new section next to it, it's possible to make posts (concerning photography) which don't have a picture attached? From time to time there is a need, and currently such a thread can only go under general Chat.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Online Happy
yeah Peter got that added....

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/47/1/Photo_Chat.html

Dan
Yes, it is hard to separate living things from their background as they are usually pretty good at camouflage.

In looking at your picture I have to wonder if you could have gotten below the subject off to the other side. It looks like there was enough room there. If you could get under the eel maybe you could have gotten open water behind him.

One of the things I like about eels is their inability to see well and how you can tease them out by making them curious. The great shots that make people think they are dangerous show them with their mouths wide open. I've been told that they 'see by smelling. I find if I push my camera towards them, then pull it back they often will follow it out.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marty), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.