Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
#385281 08/09/10 04:53 AM
2 Images
Short Offline OP
Mario Varacalli

Mario Varacalli owner of the Hungry Money located on North Front Street in Belize City was found lifeless when the restaurant opened for business on August 5th 2010. Varacalli usually slept in the establishment whenever he stayed in Belize City, and it was not considered strange that he was locked inside the building last night after employees left.

Varacalli, a resident of San Pedro and the father of four also leaves his wife Vickie Varacalli behind. Hungry Monkey on North Front Street opened to much fanfare as an outlet of a sub-sandwich business that was first established on San Pedro:

Originally Posted by 7 News Belize
Hungry Monkey Sub Shop Opens on North Front Street
January 29, 2010

A new sub shop has opened in Belize City. It's the "Hungry Monkey" on North Front Street. It's new to Belize City but not to new to Belize because the first "Hungry Monkey" Sub Shop opened in 2007 in San Pedro. But its owners, a couple from Canada, want to expand and they are starting with the new shop in Belize City. It is the biggest news in the world of sub sandwiches since the rise and fall of Subway - and so ahead of its official opening next week - they invited the media for a taste test and 7News was there.

Mario Varacalli, Owner - Hungry Monkey

"The reason why I chose this place on North Front Street is because of the location. We have the 9 to 5 working class, we have the schools, we have the hospitals, we have the tourists and I am looking for local people to come and enjoy my food.

We have speciality hot subs, speciality cold subs, speciality French fries - but it is just something different; high quality at a very affordable price."

But that price is higher than at the other sub shops. A 9 inch cold sub at Hungry Monkey is $12.

Mario Varacalli,
"Our prices are a little bit higher, not by much, but they are. In fact I am not here to compare because everyone does their thing but the quality of meats, the quantity of meats, and the size of the subs that we do make a difference in the price. It is different and that is what I want to bring to the country. It is just something different."

Keith Swift,
"Subway came and didn't make it. Why do you think the Hungry Monkey will?"

Mario Varacalli,
"I don't know much about Subway. It is a very good question. I think the quality of food, the experience that I do bring, and serving the people - not necessarily the food but just knowing how to adapt to the country that you're in and the people you're dealing with and just being genuinely nice to your customers. I think that somehow makes an impact. It has worked for me in the past, I hope it works for me here."

The shop employs 9 Belizeans and the owners say they plan to expand to the rest of Central America.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=16109

Empty chairs remain where the couple once filled with customers. It is not yet known if Mrs. Varacalli will keep the business open.

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/385190/
6 Comments
Short #385461 08/11/10 05:28 PM
So sad...deepest sympathy to his family and many friends.

Sad, Sad news I liked him and his wife and kids very much . I can never understand why .And what causes the brain to get so depressed and to such despair to feel a need to do this ? . But I can only pray for his family .God rest his soul..Again so sad to see ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
Short #386182 08/23/10 04:39 PM
P
P
There has been lots of rumours about Marios passing according to the autopsy he didn't kill himself he died from a pre existing heart condition.

Short #386248 08/24/10 09:29 AM
I believe the final results stated that Mario passed away due to complications regarding asthma coupled with sleep apnea.

Short #386385 08/25/10 12:10 PM
Thats what I hear .. but at first the news and people who new him and worked with him had it all differant strange ?. thank god the truth came out ... Anyway sad thing what ever the cause sad so sad !!I liked him and his family .life is so crazy .Rest in peace....

Living The Dream Every Day!
Short #413289 08/05/11 09:49 AM
RIP my dear friend, we are thinking of you.

www.shorelinesolutionsbelize.com
Property Management Services
Vacation Rentals
Corporate Services

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 320 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.