Next Gallery
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#409959 06/15/11 11:01 PM
8 Images
Marty Offline OP
Mike Gvara, "Island Dog"

Island Icon Mike Gvara AKA "Island Dog" Passes Away

The San Pedro Sun has confirmed that long time island resident and artist Mike Gvara, fondly known as "Island Dog" was found deceased in his San Pedro home this evening.

According to friends, Mr. Gvara has been suffering from ill health and was last seen Saturday afternoon letting his dogs in. No foul play is suspected at this time.

For years The San Pedro Sun printed his amusing cartoons depicting the island life he had grown to love. He will be terribly missed and we extend our heartfelt sympathy to his family and friends.

Other articles about Island Dog can be read at:

22 Comments
Mike always had a smile and upbeat attitude. I so enjoyed sitting around having a beer or a cup of coffee with him and listening to his stories. He will be missed greatly. RIP

Change your Latitude
Such sad news. RIP MIke and prayers for you and your family.

I am so sorry to hear this. Mike was always a laugh a minute - and what a wonderful artist. He will be missed. Rest in Peace Mike.

Very sad. A loss for the island. It won't feel the same without him. My condolences to those he left behind.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Our condolences also. Mike was somebody we always made it a point to seek out. He was entertaining to the max and a great icon indeed for those who would leave everything behind and move to the island. He will be missed. We have a number of his works in our home, and we will think of him everytime we look at them.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
A
A
Mike will be missed, he is a great loss to this island. His funeral was held this afternoon.

Ana Lausen
Ambergris Vacation Rentals
www.ambergrisvacationrentals.com
P
P
A really nice man and a very great loss.

E
E
I spent many an afternoon visiting with Mike, on the beach next to Ramon's, telling war stories and just swapping BS, I think I still have his original drawings for his published book of cartoons.

One very nice down to earth guy ...A man of class
I think he could have been the poster guy for the living the dream group .He loved the island .And one look at his face you new it.he lived life to the max.
Rest in peace ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.