Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
#531161 06/29/18 08:12 AM
10 Images
Marty Offline OP
Ramon Nunez

Very Sad to hear Ramon passed away last night, he was a wonderful man a good friend, and much help in the establishing of AmbergrisCaye.com as well as tourism in Belize. We will miss him greatly, and send our love to his beautiful family....

=========

We woke up this morning to some very sad news. A beloved man, friend, father of a close friend, and Belizean pioneer has passed. Mr. Ramon Nunez was loved by so many in life and will now be remembered by so many.

We had wonderful fun times with him, and his family are dear to our hearts. We also know that his loss will hit the Ramon's Village team very hard and our hearts go out to them all.

Our deepest condolences to the whole Nunez family, the San Pedro Community and everyone lucky enough to have known and loved Mr. Ramon Nunez.

Colette Kase

========

Thinking about my formative years spent at Ramon's Village, and how much I loved seeing Mr. Ramon Nunez with his staff (my mother and aunt included). He always had a hug for his 'girls', a smile and a twinkle for the kids.
I was allowed to join my mother on all her housekeeping duties - running from room to room, and the days when Don Ramon would sit and have lunch with the back-of-the-house staff were some of the best.
I hope you've bumped into my mother Don Ramon, and I imagine you gave her a big squeeze - the kind she adored...rest in peace Se�or.
That little girl of 6-7-8-9-10 is grateful for your pioneering spirit that allowed me to have a most unique childhood on La Isla Bonita.
To your family - I hope you find comfort in the coming days.
I can't lie and say it's easy, but it does get better with time.

Mary Rodriguez

----------------------

Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest sympathies to the Nu�ez family and friends on the passing of Mr. Ramon Nu�ez. San Pedro has lost another of its great pioneers. May his soul rest in peace.
2 Comments
Marty #531163 06/29/18 09:07 AM
This is the saddest news..... We are so sorry to hear this.... Ramon played a big part of our lives when our children were young and we were learning to maneuver our way through the immigration and real estate processes. We considered him family, as with Ramon Jr. and the rest of the Nunez Dynasty. This sadness will be felt throughout the community and our hearts will be heavy. So sorry to see you go Ramon, thank you for everything you have done for us!

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Marty #531173 06/30/18 05:33 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Ramon's Village Mourns The Death Of Ramon Nunez

The Ramon's Village Family Celebrates the Homegoing of Belize's Greatest Legend Ramon N��ez.

For 40 years, Ramon was the vibrant host of our resort, the highlight for visitors and celebrities from around the world, and the trademark of Belize.

He won the hearts of everyone he met with his radiant smile, genuine hugs and contagious laugh. Thanks for all the wonderful memories, Ramon!

We will cherish them forever in our hearts.
1940-2018.

San Pedro Bids Farewell To Mr. Ramon Nunez

In a heartbroken mode if mourning, San Pedro bids farewell to an iconic Islander, Ramon N��ez who passed away on Thursday, June 28, 2018. Funeral services were held on Monday, July 2, followed by a memorial services at Ramon's Village. Ramon was born in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize of humble parents Regina and Cruz N��ez, a fisherman. After primary school, Ramon got a study scholarship but could not go to high school because his parents could not afford the luxury. So at age 14 he became a fisherman and camped out to learn the trade with his older brothers.

He first became a lobster fisherman because of his love of skin diving and under the legendary Gerry McDermott, he learned scuba diving only to become a dive master and ran operations of one of the first five shops on the island. Because of his great personality, Ramon became world known and tourists kept returning to Belize looking for Ramon and San Pedro. Eventually and inevitably he became the iconic manager of Paradise Hotel; from there Ramon's fame and circle of friends and acquaintances only grew. He managed one or two other resorts until he was recruited to springboard a new resort named after him, Ramon's Village.

Ramon has contributed immensely to the growth of the tourism industry, investing time and efforts as well as goodwill in hospitality, restaurants, gift shops, diving tours and instruction certification. As a Lions Club member he was the main fundraiser and instrumental in getting the San Pedro Poly Clinic off the ground.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

Remembering tourism pioneer and island icon Ramon Nu�ez Sr.

The island community of Ambergris Caye is mourning the loss of tourism pioneer and island icon, Ramon Nu�ez Sr. on Thursday, June 28, 2018. On Monday, July 2nd, after memorial services at Ramon's Village Resort, his ashes were spread at sea in front of his beloved Ramon's Village Resort, as per his request.

Nu�ez was born on June 12, 1940, on a sailboat off the coast of Belize. His father put his mother on the sailboat to get help with the delivery but ended up delivering the baby at sea. Nu�ez was the last of 14 boys and a younger sister. He was a bright student and excelled in primary school, however, due to financial difficulties he could not attend college. Thereafter, he joined his father on the fishing boats and became a fisherman at the young age of 14.

Years later, he suffered an accident out at sea after getting stung by an Eagle Stingray, which left him badly ill for quite some time. The year was 1969 and it was during this time that someone knocked on his door. Nu�ez described this person as an 'an angel,' sent to help his family while in dire need. This was the legendary Gerry McDermott, who was building a resort named the Paradise Hotel. McDermott offered Nu�ez a job, which he quickly accepted. At that time, the hotel only consisted of three caba�as. Under McDermott, Nu�ez learned scuba diving and ran the operations of one of the first five shops on the island.

In 1972, the Government of Belize asked Nu�ez, the only certified native diver in the country at the time to guide Jacques Cousteau during his visit to the country. He guided Cousteau to the Blue Hole, as well as the cavern under Caye Caulker. While aboard the Cousteau's Calypso boat he also spent time with singer John Denver. He describes this episode as an experience of a lifetime.

Eight years later, he made the decision to leave the Paradise Hotel, as he felt ready to do his own thing. A group of investors from Mississippi USA invited him to open Ramon's Reef Resort. The projected first started with 10 caba�as and eventually expanded to 20 structures. After operating his Reef Resort for a couple years he sold it to current owners Richard Headrick in 1987. The name was changed to Ramon's Village and the size of the resort was expanded to include a total of 72 units. Under the Nu�ez' watch, the resort became one of the premier resorts in the country with a level of quality and an unbeatable staff when it comes to client pampering. Ramon's is currently the headquarters for PADI in Belize, catering to divers and has some of the best certified instructors in the country.

Nu�ez was considered a true lover of the sea and his island, his customer service and personality deemed impeccable. Friends like Lance Chancellor mourn the loss of someone they admired greatly. He described Nu�ez as a great storyteller, his tales of Ambergris Caye captivating visitors for hours. "He had a special charm that instantly drew you to him," said Chancellor. "With a twinkle in his eye, he would tell you all about the beginnings of the then-named Ramon's Reef Resort, how the sleepy fishing village of San Pedro came to be, and how the resort came to be the premier world-renowned island resort." Chancellor says that Nu�ez was larger than life itself and that anyone that had contact with him would instantly feel a connection to him.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

It is with great sorrow and heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Mr Ramon Nunez, founder and legendary host, of Ramon's Village Resort. However, it is with great joy that we celebrate the incredible life of such a wonderful person!

Born and raised in San Pedro, Ramon began his career as a fisherman and later became the first certified scuba diver in the country of Belize. Ramon went on to bring about the development of Ramon's Reef Resort, later to be known as Ramon's Village, in 1981.

Ramon was loved by everyone who knew him. He was guide to Jacque Cousteau when he explored the Belize Blue Hole and host to Jimmy Buffet who mentions him in his book Margaritaville. He was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award in Tourism by the Belize Tourist Board in 2000. He was inducted into the Legends of Diving Hall of Fame and presented with the Giant Stride Scuba Award in 2009.

Please join us in praying for his family. He will be greatly missed, but forever in our hearts!

Ramon's Village Resort

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.