Print Thread
Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez #545165
09/28/20 11:00 AM
09/28/20 11:00 AM
9 Images
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez

Ambergris Today joins the community of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, in expressing sincere condolences to the Gomez family as Mr. Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez passed away peacefully at his home this morning, September 28, 2020. Mr. Gomez was a pillar and driving force in the development of Ambergris Caye and served as the first Mayor of San Pedro Town. We are very grateful for his love of Belize and our Isla Bonita; he will be dearly missed. May He Rest in Peace.

====

Losing a family member during this pandemic is the hardest thing. I want to be close to all my family, I want to show my support and love, I want to mourn together, I want to be there for them. I can’t be there physically to lend a shoulder to cry on or give a warm hug. It breaks my heart to say goodbye like this because I can’t be there like I want to. I love you Tio Chico, Your happiness was contagious, your smiles and laughter changed everyone’s mood. Your love was immeasurable. I will miss you dearly.

Dorian Nunez

=================

Below is an account of Mr. Gomez’s Love for San Pedro as he became our first Mayor; written by Mr. Angel Nunez.

Very few people know that his name is Gilberto Gomez. He is known to most persons as Chico but I don't know why because he is no "chico" small man. In fact, his strong roots make him a giant son of the soil. He was one of the early San Pedranos who went to the city for a high school education at a time when there were no office jobs in the fishing village.

Chico taught at the San Pedro R. C. School for a short period. In 1963 when the San Pedro Fishing Cooperative was being established, Chico served as its manager/accountant and under his leadership the cooperative acquired processing and refrigeration equipment and became a leading exporter of fish, lobster and shrimp. San Pedro moved from its little thatch houses to more comfortable and modern residences.

Next Chico and a group of Islanders formed the Coral Beach Chain of Hotels and set the foundation of local participation in the tourism industry to include hotel accommodation, restaurants, dive shops, gift shops, tours, and airline agents. During all this time Chico was also participating in community service and soon became the village chairman. It was then that Chico realized that village status was not satisfying the needs of Ambergris Caye and San Pedro so he commenced his march towards Township.

On the 27th day of November 1984 a team of Government officials including the Right Honorable George Price joined Chico at Central Park to sign the Declaration of Township for San Pedro, making Chico the first Mayor of San Pedro Town, and the Father of Township. San Pedro grew by leaps and bounds obtaining its water system, garbage system, network of streets and roads, parks and sports fields, land for the people of San Pedro, a tax system, trade licensing system, health and transport.

Practically every department that exists in this town today was commenced by Chico Gomez who had the vision, the courage and effort, the integrity and love for the people of San Pedro. Today Chico is a retired businessman and is battling with an illness but his roots have taken a firm grip on this piece of soil and the benefits of his labor and love shall be felt forever two thumbs up and your genuine prayers for this San Pedrano, who has buried his roots deep into the life of this community. Long live the Father of Township.

=========

Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff join the entire San Pedro Community, as we extend our most sincere condolences to the Gomez friends and family on the sad passing of Mr. Gilberto “Chico” Gomez. We hope they find the strength in each other to overcome this great loss.

Don Chico is a true pioneer of this island as he has contributed to its development in many ways. However, one of his achievements was becoming the first Mayor of San Pedro Town as he signed the declaration of Township for San Pedro in November 27 of 1984. He was a man that loved his town, its people and traditions.

We will definitely miss his charisma and energy as we visited his home every year on November 27. It was definitely a treat conversing with Don Chico as he shared anecdotes of the his past and time as Chairman and Mayor of San Pedro Town. We are grateful for his service to this community and all that he did for the love of his town. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

===========

I was honoured to have served as town administrator for San Pedro, Ambergris Caye from 1985 under the 5 years stewardship of former Mayor Gilberto "Chico" Gomez. A friend, mentor and an exemplary human being. Sleep in Peace Don Chico. You will always be remembered.
I extend my deepest and heartfelt condolences to the entire family. S.I.P.

Lincoln E. Eiley
4 Comments
Re: Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez [Re: Marty] #545179
09/29/20 04:27 AM
09/29/20 04:27 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
[Linked Image]

San Pedro mourns the passing of its first Mayor, Don Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez

On Monday, September 28th, San Pedranos woke to the news that the father of their township, Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez had passed away. Gomez was the first Mayor to govern San Pedro Town as a municipality. Don Chico, as he was affectionately known, is considered a true pioneer for his contributions to San Pedro’s development, from expanding the local fishing cooperative, introducing the tourism industry, and lobbying for the transition from village to town in 1984.

Under Gomez’ guidance, the Caribeña Fishing Cooperative reached a level of great productivity and different marine products (lobster, and fish) began to be exported from the island. Gomez is also accredited for the introduction of tourism to San Pedro. He was also a founding member of the Coral Beach Hotels on the island. During this time, Don Chico was the Chairman of San Pedro Village. However, he saw potential in the community to become a town, and he worked towards this goal and became San Pedro’s first Mayor when the island community transitioned to townhood.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

=====

PRESS RELEASE by the People's United Party:

Party Leader, Hon. John Briceño, Party Chairman, Henry Usher and the National Executive of the People’s United Party mourns the passing of Mr. Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez. Don Chico, as he was fondly known, is highly regarded as the Father of San Pedro Town and served as its first Mayor when township was acquired in 1984.

Prior to township, Don Chico served as the Village Chairman for many years. Don Chico also served the San Pedro community in other prominent capacities. He was the first Manager of the Caribena Fishing Cooperative established in 1963 and was a founding member of the Coral Beach Hotels, the pioneering group of local hoteliers on Ambergris Caye.

Don Chico’s contribution to his community, his country and his Party will be remembered and cherished for generations to come. The PUP extends deepest condolences to the Gomez family especially to his wife Addy and his two children Sergio and Marlena.

We thanked them for lending to us, this great townsman and visionary who was known for his humility, honesty and integrity. Rest in Peace Don Chico.

--------

The Official Funeral Service for former Mayor of San Pedro Town is today from 8-10am.

Re: Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez [Re: Marty] #545195
09/29/20 10:43 AM
09/29/20 10:43 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
State Funeral Service for the late Mr. Gilberto Gomez.

Re: Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez [Re: Marty] #545203
09/30/20 04:21 AM
09/30/20 04:21 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
[Linked Image]

Official funeral service held for San Pedro’s first Mayor Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez

Under the rain, San Pedro Town bid farewell to its first Mayor Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez with an official funeral service organized by the San Pedro Town Council on Tuesday, September 29th. Family members, friends, local leaders, and the island’s police formation paid their respects and tribute to San Pedro’s father of township.

The service started shortly after 8AM outside of the SPTC’s building on Barrier Reef Drive. After the singing of the National Anthem and invocation by Pastor Clive Welsh, Mayor Daniel Guerrero delivered his remarks. He offered his condolences to the Gomez family acknowledging the life of an exemplary Belizean and San Pedrano. “Don Chico, as he was affectionately known, made history as the last Village Chairman and the first Mayor of San Pedro Town. We consider him one of the architects of our town,” Guerrero said. “His contribution to the development of San Pedro are vast, but key amongst them was fighting for Township. He was a pioneer in the tourism industry, after being one of the founding members of the Coral Beach Hotel and an active member of this community.” Guerrero said that Township Days celebrated every 27th of November, will never be the same without the yearly visits to Don Chico. “It was always a great time when visiting Don Chico,” said Guerrero.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

================

[Linked Image]

San Pedro bids farewell to its very first Mayor. State funeral service was held today by the San Pedro Town Council for Mr. Gilberto Gomez. We are grateful for all of the contributions he made to make us the town we are today! Farewell Tío Chico! Keep spreading your happiness up there in heaven! Your upbeat personality will live in us forever!
Click photos for more pictures!

Re: Gilberto ‘Chico’ Gomez [Re: Marty] #545305
10/04/20 04:46 AM
10/04/20 04:46 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
A tribute to the First Mayor of San Pedro, Gilberto (Chico) Gomez as Angel Nunez shared on “Years Ago in San Pedro- People of Influence.” Tune in Sunday (today) at 5:00 AM, 12:00 Noon, & 7:00 PM only on FM 101.3 or www.galcom.org/xstreamer/

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JaHo), 203 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics73,705
Posts486,601
Members19,815
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.