Nestor Vasquez #549616
04/20/21 04:40 AM
04/20/21 04:40 AM
2 Images
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Nestor Vasquez

A FAREWELL TO NET

<> The family of Nestor "Net" Vasquez Sr. is mourning his passing this afternoon after he suffered a fatal head injury from a fall yesterday. He passed away peacefully in the presence of his family at Belize Medical Associates.

Net was born on September 8, 1931 in San Pedro Village and lived with enthusiasm and unrelenting energy.

An accountant by profession, he will best be remembered as a nationalist and a patriot. He was also active in the Catholic Church.

Net was one of the founding members of the UDP and was instrumental in getting the party elected to office for the first time 1984.

He was also the founder and owner of Channel 7 getting that television station (Belize's first free to air broadcast) on air in 1981.

His career in positions of public service dates back to the 60's when he led Belize's first Olympic team which went to the Mexico games in 1968.

He served on the Central Bank in the mid-80's, helping to take Belize out of an IMF standby agreement and then moving on to lead the first privatization in Belize, which was BTL in 1988.

Since then he has served on various government and private boards, including chairing BEL and BTL, serving various times on the Central Bank, as well as the Social Security Board, the APBEL Board, and the Integrity Commission.

And tonight in the immediate wake of his sudden passing we hear from his friend and fellow party member Micheal Finnegan who told us that the man he knew as "Net" was one of the best people he has had the pleasure to know. He also expressed his pride at having been associated with Nestor Vasquez Sr. both as a colleague and dear friend.

Michael Finnegan, Family Friend
"I was shocked and I felt the grief because he was closely associated to his beloved United Democratic Party which I am a associated with also."

"I first met Net in 1968 because he was a sport man, I met him just in 1968 because he was involved with the Olympic team that went to the Olympic Games in Mexico City. But I became closely associated with Net Vasquez during 1972 when all the splinters, opposition parties were getting together to form this great United Democratic Party which was formed in 1973 and during the formation of the United Democratic Party, he played an important role in getting all the political parties together. When the party became the United Democratic Party, his role became bigger."

"When the party became government first in 1984 and when we became government again in 1993, and when we became government again in 08 until the last general elections, Net Vasquez played tremendous roles for the party and I want to publicly say that he was among the few good people that I have met in my lifespan. We are all human beings and we all fall short of his glory so, but irrespective of what the situation. Net as far as I'm concerned was one of the better few people that I have met in my lifespan and I am proud to be associated with him."

Nestor Vasquez Sr. is predeceased by his son Nestor, and survived by four of his five children: Adriel, Derek, Mary, and Jules, grandchildren and his wife Hazel.

May his soul rest in peace.

Channel 7

Nestor Vasquez Dies at 90

Today, the United Democratic Party lost one of its giants. Nestor Vasquez, who was one of the founding members of the party in 1973, a key player in the creation of Belize Telecommunications Limited and a broadcast television pioneer passed away.  The United Democratic Party leadership expressed its sorrow and announced they would be flying their flag at party headquarters at half-mast.

Duane Moody, Reporting

Condolences are being shared across social media to the family and friends of former B.T.L. Chairman Nestor Vasquez. The former owner of Tropical Vision/Channel Seven succumbed this afternoon at the Belize Medical Associates where he was admitted in a coma after he slipped and hit his head inside his house over the weekend.

Michael Finnegan, Former Politician

“I found out about Mister Vasquez’s death sometime this afternoon and I was shock and I felt the grief because he was closes associated to his beloved United Democratic Party, which I am associated with also.”

Michael Peyrefitte, Chairman, U.D.P.

“Mister Vasquez is one of our founding members, one of our trustees – a giant within the U.D.P. and his passing today as I said is a very, very sad day for us. And I want to take the opportunity to give my condolences on behalf of the U.D.P. to the Vasquez family during their time of bereavement.”

Vasquez served the U.D.P. in various capacities over the last four decades. He sat as Chairman of the Investment Committee for S.S.B. and also a member on the Central Bank Board. His most recent post was as Chairman of Belize Telemedia Limited. U.D.P. Chairman, Michael Peyrefitte reflects on the party stalwart.

Michael Peyrefitte

“I personally met Net when we both say on the Public Utilities Commission and I found him to be such a high spirited, high energy, passionate and committed individual. When you spoke to Net, you knew that you would be listening to a history of Belize; you knew that the knowledge and experience that this man had – Belize pre-independence, post-independence – you knew he was an excellent source of information and guidance and jut an overall advisor and elder statesman for the U.D.P.”

Michael Finnegan

“I became closely associated with Net Vasquez during 1972, when all the splinter opposition parties were getting together to form this great United Democratic Party which formed in 1973. During the formation, he played an important role in getting all the political parties together. When the party became the U.D.P., his role became better as the party was penniless and he along with my good friend Henry Young personally financed this party from their bare pocket. And that’s how this party from 1973 to 1979 was kept afloat.”

Even though Vasquez was recently the subject of an audit at B.T.L., his comrades lauded him for his years of service.

Michael Finnegan

“He was among the few good people that I have met in my lifespan. We are all human beings and we all fall short of his glory, so irrespective of what the situation, Net as far as I am concerned was one of the better few people that I have met in my lifespan.”

Nestor Vasquez, dead at 90. Duane Moody for News Five.

Nestor Vasquez will be laid to rest on Friday, April twenty-third. News Five extends its condolences to Jules Vasquez and our media colleagues at Channel Seven.

Channel 5

3 Comments
Re: Nestor Vasquez [Re: Marty] #549626
04/20/21 06:29 AM
04/20/21 06:29 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Sincere condolences to the family.

Re: Nestor Vasquez [Re: Marty] #549644
04/21/21 04:28 AM
04/21/21 04:28 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

The Lion In Winter Rests...

The Vasquez family continues to mourn the death of their patriarch. Last night we told you that the founder of Tropical Vision Limited, Nestor Vasquez, passed away at the Belize Medical Associates. He will be remembered as a dedicated UDP loyalist, sportsman, father, and friend.

Courtney Menzies spoke with two men who knew him well, and has this story.

Nester Vasquez Sr, the founder and former owner of Tropical Vision Limited (Channel 7), suffered an accident when he fell down a flight of stairs on Sunday afternoon. And while he held on until Monday afternoon, he did so in a coma from which he never woke up.

Vasquez was well known as a pioneer in media in Belize, and a political giant. Even into his elderly years he was a UDP stalwart. Former party leader and Prime Minister, Dean Barrow, explained that he was there from the very start - right up until Vasquez's untimely death.

Rt Hon Dean Barrow, Former Prime Minister
"As a friend I can tell you he's the fastest, firmest friend anyone could ever have or ever hope to have, he is absolutely fierce in terms of his loyalty to his friends and he will stand with his friends always, you are Net Vasquez's friend, you could always count on that friendship. In terms of that party, he was of course one of the trustees of the party. He was there right at the start when the liberals and the NIP and the PDM joined together to become the UDP. Net had of course helped to start the liberal party with Mr Esquivel and others, Manuel and others, and when the three parties came together to form the UDP, Net was very much there helping to, as it were, chart the way forward, guide the process, and over importantly, he was a fundraiser, he was a very successful accountant and he had a number of very powerful clients and of course he was able to tap into them for resources to assist the new party. From that time on, throughout, until his death, he continued to be an absolutely unyielding supporter of the United Democratic Party, faithful to a fault and would hear no ill of his party and would do any and everything that he could to advance the fortunes of the party so really a giant in UDP circles, a giant I think in larger Belizean circles, and somebody whose contributions have become legendary, he would of course be absolutely and greatly missed."

The former PM went on the explain his reaction upon hearing the news yesterday afternoon.

Rt Hon Dean Barrow, Former Prime Minister
"I was shocked, Net was 89 I believe, but he and I had spoken about a week or so before this terrible accident and in checking up on him, I been pleased to hear him say, No worry braa-in-law, that's how he used to call me, no worry, he said, I noh dih dead now, I noh dih dead now at all. And he went on to say he was moving about freely or easily , that he was driving himself into Belize City from Tropical Park where he had been staying and that generally he was in fine spirits certainly and good physical shape for a man of his age so it was quite a shock to hear that he had that fall with this inevitable - with the consequence that now occurred and it ultimately killed him. It saddened me greatly, I feel the loss acutely, personally, and it's something that would take a great deal of getting used to."

And, outside of political circles, he was also a sportsman, with a love for weightlifting. He had a major hand in organizing many weightlifting and body building competitions over the years. It was this love of the sport that led him to meet Hilberto "Hilly" Martinez.

Hilberto "Hilly" Martinez, Friend
"I was introduced to Mr Net by a very good friend of mine, Mr Mario Mendoza, who was into weightlifting. I can't remember the year but it must have been somewhere around early 70's. And I remember meeting Net, we went to Romero Escalante's house to lift weights. My friend was a weightlifter and afterwards when I got involved with the Olympic association, I found out that Mr Net Vasquez was the chief de mission for the 1968 Olympic games and that was the first games that Belize participated in, first games actually, 1968 in Mexico."

"But Net was very much involved in organizing weightlifting competition and body building competitions at the Bliss Institute."

"My involvement was whenever we needed any assistant for any sporting federation I was involved in, I would always go to him and he was always willing to assist us financially, or moral support or giving us advice, or giving me advice."

And, like the former PM, Martinez was also shocked at Vasquez's unexpected death.

Hilberto "Hilly" Martinez, Friend
"It was so sudden, he wasn't sick. He was a gentleman who was active and it's hard to believe when it happens like that when somebody isn't sick and something happens to them. So I was sad and also called Jules and Jules knew exactly how I felt."

Vasquez was 89 years old. His funeral will be held on Friday.

Channel 7

Re: Nestor Vasquez [Re: Marty] #549660
04/21/21 12:05 PM
04/21/21 12:05 PM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
UDP MOURNS THE PASSING OF NESTOR VASQUEZ SR

It is with deep sadness that the United Democratic Party notes the passing of Nestor Vasquez Sr. at the age of 90.

Known affectionately as “Net Vasquez” or simply “Net”, he was one of the founders of the UDP and a trustee of the party. Along with former Prime Minister Sir Manuel Esquivel and other prominent personalities like Curl Thompson, Henry Young, Harry Lawrence and Paul Rodriguez, Vasquez was a member of the Liberal Party which merged with the People’s Development Movement (PDM) led by Dean Lindo and the National Independence Party (NIP) led by Philip Goldson to form the UDP in 1973.

Vasquez was a financial advisor to Prime Minister Manuel Esquivel and the first UDP Administration of 1984 and was instrumental in the creation of Belize Telecommunications Limited (BTL), which later became Belize Telemedia Limited, and served as its Chairman for a period.

An accountant by profession, he was the owner of Vasquez and Company Accountants. He was also a pioneer in the development of local television in Belize as the founder and proprietor of Tropical Vision Channel 7.

Leader of the United Democratic Party Honorable Patrick Faber and the party’s executive, on behalf of the entire membership, extend deepest condolences to the family of Nestor Vasquez Sr.

In his honor, the UDP flag is being flown at half-mast until his burial on Friday, April 23.

R.I.P, “Net”. You will be sadly missed and forever remembered.

=====================

[Linked Image]

The Eulogy of Nestor Adriano Vasquez
Written and Read by Jules Vasquez.

I firmly believe this eulogy sums up the man named Net so perfectly. What a life. What a story. Your on an ultralight beam now tatito. We love you.

First, an admission of inadequacy: my father’s life was too varied, too exceptional, too extraordinary, too much…my words will be unequal to the sweeping curve of his life.

My father, Nestor Vasquez contained multitudes. First, a lesson in survival:

It is 1940. Nestor is 8. His mother, Ventura is in San Pedro - she is dying of tuberculosis - she is quarantined, it is too infectious for her four children. How this pains young Nestor - to be apart. One day - in the throes of her illness - he is allowed to deliver some food to her at arm’s length - and there she is, at the door, on the stairs, emaciated and weak, this small woman, and he cannot bear it, the longing for the maternal embrace, he hugs her, they hug. She gives him the best motherly advice she can muster: to remain devoted to the feast saint of his birth, the virgin mother - a devotion he will keep for his entire life. It will be the last time they see each other. She will be dead within a week. Young Nestor is a motherless child. Soon he will be fatherless. Nestor Sr - wracked by grief goes to work on a ship - leaves his children in the care of relatives - some kind, some harsh and exacting with the Vasquez children. These were his formative experiences, life’s hardest lessons - that nothing is promised, not your mother, not your father, not food on your plate.

Thus is born, Nestor the orphan, a wild child of the Pickstock area, a student of Holy Redeemer, a boy scout, a scrapper, a survivor, running the streets. His older neighbour George Price dubbed him “bad bush” because little Net Vasquez would do anything - particularly if it would put some money in his pocket, or some food in his belly.

Nestor Vasquez contained multitudes: second, a lesson in perseverance:

It is 1950, Net Vasquez is a high schooler looking for work. He is armed with nothing - save for a well-meant, but not exactly unstinting recommendation from his scout master, Brother Jacoby. It announces to the world that this young high school graduate - class of ’49 - is, quote, “of very average intelligence” but he adds, charitably, that the young man is determined to complete any manual task set before him. Brother Jacoby knows this because he has seen this small, scrawny boy throw himself into any competition, any fight, any chore, and scrap for success like his life depended on it. It did.

He takes this recommendation to the Belize Marketing Board - where there are no vacancies - except for a job as a typist - because the secretary is on leave. Nestor Vasquez cannot type, has never typed. But he takes the job. And he labours every day - staying long hours after work, into the night - to complete basic tasks that would have taken a skilled typist just a few minutes. But he does not relent. A few weeks later - the secretary is back from leave - and Nestor is sent home. But, when you are a hungry 19 year old - failure is not an option. Nestor does not go home. The young man with the easy smile and the eager nature shows up the next day, and the next, and the next, until, perhaps out of sympathy, they hire him as a messenger. In a few months, the warehouse manager quits - and Nestor, the messenger who spends his spare time helping out in the warehouse, gets the job to run it. In another year, he parlays this knowledge to a desk job, he is now the marketing board’s book keeper. Just a few years later, he is at Pannell, Crewdson & Hardy, an auditor, and 10 years later, he is a certified accountant with his own practice. Most would have been satisfied to settle there, but this was just the start of his ascent - this is the grit, the hunger and the determination that would become hallmarks of his success.

Nestor Vasquez contained multitudes: a lesson in love:

It is 1952, Net Vasquez is making 5 dollars a week at the Marketing Board. He falls for Hazel Busch, madly, deeply; he is overthrown by her shapely beauty, overcome by her charm; he serenades her in spanish, songs like “Rayito De Luna” and “Perfidia”. Hazel, you should know, does not speak Spanish. But, still, she is charmed by his persistence, that inimitable swagger. He is lifting weights now -

and he lifts her - as he would say it - as carefully and effortlessly as a basket of eggs, and, he carries her around like this - the muscle man, the lover man. In 1957, they married; It’s a hard go at the start: They come from families with nothing, really - Net only has that five dollar a week job. They live in a slum on York Street - with an outdoor latrine and shower. He never forgot these days, literally all they had was their love and the certainty that it was bigger than anything in its way. And it was. They got out of that slum, they made a life, they made a family - and every success my father had - and there were many - this was his backbone, his lodestar, his true north, no matter the perils of paths he traversed, he always had home.

Nestor Vasquez contained multitudes: a lesson in strategy.

It is 1954, Nestor Vasquez is a weightlifter - his speciality? The clean and jerk and the snatch - the ballet of barbells - into his 90th year, he was still deftly performing a modified version of this which Dean Barrow dubbed “the air squat.” But in ‘54 for Net Vasquez it was the thin air of Guatemala at the Central American Championship, competing as Belize’s buffest middleweight against a far larger Guatemalan opponent in the medal round. Nestor knew he could not outlift this man, he was 20 pounds\ lighter. But he could outsmart him. After two rounds they were tied, but for his third lift, Net asked for a weight he had never lifted and knew he probably could not lift. It was a bluff to get his bigger opponent to try and outdo this maldito Beliceño. Net sits cool and calm, watching as the bigger man’s pride compels him to try for an outsized weight - he fails on his first try, then his second, and third - the gold medal is Net’s. He is the Central American middleweight Champ. But for a good show - Net still approaches the stage and attempts this weight he’d never done before. And, as I’m sure you can guess what happens next...? He lifts and sets it down...again, like a basket of eggs.

Nestor Vasquez contained multitudes. A lesson in patriotism:

It is 1967 - Net Vasquez is a nationalist - but not in the mold of George Price. He helps found the right wing Chamber Reporter - along with Manuel Esquivel, Harry Lawrence, Paul Rodriguez and Curl Thompson. They want change for Belize, but have their own vision, and form the Belize Liberal Party - which then goes on to be a foundational part of the UDP. In 1979, the party is poised for victory in the general election, to unseat the unbeaten and unbeatable PUP machine - but, they suffer a devastating, improbable loss. The UDP is sundered, but Net does not surrender. While the party goes into rebuilding mode, Net, Henry Young and others begin to strategize. He orchestrates one of the most exquisite maneuvers in Belize’s political history: part pincer movement, part palace coup - first, replacing Theodore Aranda with Curl Thompson as opposition leader in the House - and then getting Manuel Esquivel installed as Party Leader in a bloodless convention. The Liberal party is in the driver’s seat - and in 1984, the UDP is swept into office, the country’s first change of government; his lifelong friend Sir Manuel is Prime Minister : Net, the Kingmaker.

Nestor Vasquez contained multitudes. A lesson in imagination:

In 1978, Net Vasquez and Emory King invest in Belize’s first commercial satellite dish, an “earth station” it was called, to capture American TV signals for video rentals. For Emory it’s business and gringo ganas; for Net it’s a pathway to open a TV station, Channel 7. An endeavor improbable in the extreme; the Belizean equivalent of putting a man on the moon. Emory backs out, and Net moves ahead to pioneer broadcast TV in Belize - breaking the electronic media monopoly then exercised by the state controlled Radio Belize. Fast forward 10 years and the then Prime Minister Esquivel commissions Nestor to privatize the phone company, then known as BTA. He charts the course for BTA to become BTL, Belize’s first private telecom company- with private citizens as shareholders - his dream for Belizeans to control what he called the commanding heights of the economy. Again, it had not been done before and there were doubters at the highest level - but, as my dad was fond of saying, “impossible only takes a little longer.” Net Vasquez believed that a lack of imagination was the only obstacle to overcome. His grasp always exceeded his reach. This really was his gift: that beam, that optimism.

But, you will say, I am getting like my father - always the stories of wit and will. Everyone in here has heard one (or one hundred), of grit, of perseverance and unlikely success stolen from the jaws of certain failure - if I told you all of them we would be here until tonight, and Net would not complain.

You see, my dad was many things, an orphan, a sportsman, a numbers-man, yes, but also a holy man - examples of his Divine mercy devotion decorate the walls of this church - and he was a family man, and - a country-man, so much of what he did in business stems from his unwavering belief, his certainty, that Belizeans can do it best.

I have today tried to capture the totality of my father, the aura of invincibility that emanated from him, but his death is perhaps too heavy with me to reflect the full intensity of that ultralight beam - and now that it’s gone, it is as if there was a sudden drop in voltage - and the soul-light of my family is flickering very low. It is the feeling we all have when someone we have loved so closely and so deeply for a lifetime dies, and we know that in this tug of dreadful loss, the world for us will never be the same again, never so good, never so true, never so comprehensible, never so hopeful, a feeling that some essence, some irreplaceable light has gone and will not return. But, we know too that this feeling shall pass, and just as we know in this moment, that there is no end to grief, that’s how we know there is no end to love. So we gather and celebrate Net, he would slap me on the shoulder and say, “cheer up, son, it’s gonna work out!”

Multitudes….

So, I remember this great man who lies before us as the island boy, a child of the sea, rolling perpetually unto the limitless horizon. If we distill the multitudes of this man - the only thing as restless as Net is that which he beheld most often: the sea, he would gaze at it for hours - I remember the words of the poet…

“I tell myself, old man, you gone to sea again,

only now forever, to be between

skies and infinity, in the spray of the brine ,

moving, endless— a skyline I cannot seize,

the blues that cannot be named.”

I end with Shakespeare, “the elements mixed so well in him that Nature might stand up and say to all the world, “This was a man.”

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 206 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,366
Posts488,112
Members19,873
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.