Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
9 Images
Marty Offline OP
Jose Pacifico Garcia, aka "Spanish"

Very very sad to hear, he was a good friend when we first started coming to the island. Cariblandia was a fun place for our kids... Spanish was a great friend to our family, and we ALWAYS enjoyed the time we spent with him. Even when we brought a 6 pack of Pepsi to the island for a friend (couldn't get Pepsi in Belize at that time), and he and Richie Woods drank them all! Mervin Key andI had a room at Lily's and Richie and Spanish would stay in the room when we were out all day. Good times... My friend who wanted the Pepsi was a bit dismayed!

https://ambergriscaye.com/cariblandia/

Three more cool old pics of Spanish....
https://ambergriscaye.com/photogallery/070519.html
https://ambergriscaye.com/photogallery/150812.html
https://ambergriscaye.com/photogallery/210712.html

===========

Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council, and Staff join the community of San Pedro in expressing sincere condolences to the Garcia friends and family in the passing of Jose Pacifico Garcia, affectionately known as "Spanish".

"Spanish" was a friend of many on the island. He used to look forward to Carnaval as he loved participating in it and celebrating the culture in its days - a true Carnavalista at heart! He will be missed, may he rest in peace.
4 Comments
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
From Rosemary Smith....

RIP Jose ('Spanish').
I took this photo quite recently to do a blog post on promoting kindness (I never did).
Jose passed away on Sunday.

Many people will remember him as the sick man who sat begging outside Marina's Store. There were many who were kind to Jose and some that weren't. Jose was once a well-loved and respected member of the community. He was kind and always willing to help anyone in need. Before his battle with alcohol, he was healthy and full of vitality and enthusiasm for life. I have a memory of him walking all the way (18 miles) up the beach to our house to help my husband rebuild our little house after a hurricane knocked it down. Jose and Greg collected palmetto from the forest, found as much of the old lumbar as possible and dragged it back to the site, and together set about rebuilding the structure so important to us. Jose was spiritual and philosophical; a wonderful person to be around and have conversations with. I did not know Jose before 1996, but I love the stories of his life with Maggie and their positive impact on the lives of many on the island. It is too late now for people to look at him differently (more kindly?) after reading this, but perhaps next time you come across a beggar who triggers discomfort in you, just remember to be kind, especially because you may have no idea of his personal story and heartache.

[Linked Image]

Yesterday Greg shared a memory of Jose wanting to go on the sea turtle nest patrols with him. They found a nest and Jose ate one of the eggs (this was back in the days when sea turtle eggs were sold in the bars, and therefore a threat to the conservation of these endangered animals). Greg, the environmentalist was obviously horrified and angry with Jose. Now Greg of course can't help laughing about it because Jose was just such a character.

He was a good friend of Greg's in the early days, and Greg always stayed with Jose when he needed to overnight in town.

That time when Jose walked 18 miles to our house (about 20 years ago) he didn't carry anything with him, and of course was barefoot too. I asked him what he did about drinking water along the way. He replied that Oh he just finds it on the beach. I personally have only ever found bottles of dubious substances, like bottles of pee thrown overboard boats at sea

When I saw him on stilts, I used to think 'that could only be Jose!'

Imagine if all those kids who made fun of him, adults who were appalled and looked the other way, people who judged and thought unkind things....imagine if instead they knew of his once radiant beauty (inside and out), his heartache over losing his wife Maggie, and his numerous attempts at rehabilitation, perhaps he could have been treated with more understanding and compassion. However, there were indeed many people who did treat him with kindness, compassion and understanding. Besides, as humans we should treat everyone kindly, whether we know their past or not, and even when their past is not one to be admired or approved of. We also all have free will and our own individual souls know their own journeys in this lifetime.

Eli Pearly
RIP Spanish
Remember him well since '89
Dancing
Entertaining on stilts
Working to help others ...

Mary Rodriguez
My mother always taught me to be as kind as possible, and ignore rudeness or perceived bad behavior from those less fortunate, as they are battling so much more than we could ever know. I never hesitated to get him a water or juice when he asked, and he was always polite in return. Even when he was beyond sauced and at his lowest - he had people who cared for him, cleaned him, took him to the clinic, and loved him. I hope, sincerely hope, he knew he was loved.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
I do a picture of the day every day at AmbergrisCaye.com/photogallery, and do them a couple years ahead of time. a few weeks before Spanish passed away I did one with a story about being trapped in the cage with Spanish's "bad" monkey. Its not for use until Sept. 2022, but I went ahead and put it on the server so I could link to it for this thread. Great story, my wife was terrified!!! https://ambergriscaye.com/photogallery/220920.html

B
B
Will miss seeing Spanish...round 'bout SanThelmo. A valuable lesson for those of us who had struggles with Alcohol. Rest in peace, Migo.

Last edited by Billizer; 03/03/21 03:19 PM.
N
N
Hi,let me introduce myself.I am Nino,one of the Spanish's best friends when he was young.
I just knew Jose have gone,sad very sad news for me ,his mother Fina,sisters Yolanda and Elsa and many others friends from spain.
He was a perfect dreamer,left his home looking for his roots and a better life.
And the reason of this letters is thank those many friends he had,Rosemary Smith.Greg's,Mary Rodriguezand so on,especially Marty,all what they do for Jose,god bless you all.

none

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.