Originally posted by Denny Shane:
Actually, I had dinner with a friend one time and the service was deplorable. I remarked that we needed to speak to someone. My friend said not to worry he would take care of it. At the end of our meal, when it was time to leave a tip... he took his glass of water and dropped a penny in it. Then took a cardboard coaster and put it ontop of the glass of water... turned it over very fast and placed it on the table. After laughing he removed the coaster and now had left a glass full of water, turned upsidedown with a penny in it.

You can imagine the rest. eek cool
Wow, I'm amazed at the level of immaturity of that post. It certainly reflects the down side of a tourist. It amazes me that we bring our own sense and culture to a foreign place, assign our foreign standards and expect the locals to act accordingly. As for me, because most establishments probably expect a tip with some establishments training employees on ways to get them ... and then some expect tips without knowing best practices ... I give them all tips. Just do it ... just do it and stop being so friggin' analytical and dogmatic about it.