I have had a love of Belize since I first set foot there in 1988. This message is for all of those (prospective tourists, residents and tourism advocates) who had me pegged as an alarmist.

What has happened to Belize this last few weeks is a real tragedy (not just the hurricane, but the flooding as well). Families displaced, lives lost, futures forever altered...I tried to explain the situation as best I could after my return to the States and was met with derision by some who may have thought I had an ulterior motive in my descriptions.....

I am relieved that the gov't has stated that tourism will be more feasible in November. That is more realistic than the "next week" that was originally said. Now that you have all read the reports on the health situation and the availabilty of services, I hope that you will forgive me for having been so graphic in describing what has come to be "the truth". Belize will survive and prosper again in the not-too-distant future, and be as warm and friendly as ever. I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to raise my son in his most formative years there - no regrets.

Marty, you're the best. Thank you for having allowed me to express my views and exchange information on your forum. I hope that the gov't. of Belize will compensate/recognize you for having been the Coconut Telegraph in a time when there was no other way to communicate and also for your future efforts, you deserve it. You have done more, from thousands of miles away, than most people who were "on the scene". I have an enormous amount of respect for you and also for Sandshaker. Thanks again.

Take care,
Celeste Phillips [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Celeste (edited 10-14-2000).]