Originally posted by lawcucui:
Simon & I are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. When I said "the selection of decent wine is limited" what I should have said was the selection of decent CALIFORNIA wine is limited.

There are no Cal wines on that list that I would purchase - either here or in Belize. In terms of expense - I wouldn't drink a $9 bottle of wine. If that makes me a snob, I'm willing to wear the label in this area. I'm partial to good CA wines and don't think Austrailian or Chilean wines compare. As an example of the price differences: Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Napa Valley, 1998 - that's $70 to $80 US and $176 on Simon's list. I understand the costs are related to taxes and shipping and that doesn't bother me - I just don't find the selection very extensive.

I'm also not convinced by Amanda's argument that my purchasing wine in Belize supports the locals. Certainly not to the extent the amount of Belikin and rum I purchased did!

I stand by my original statement - if you're really into wine you know what you like so bring a couple of bottles. But don't forget to try what the local area has to offer - wine's not their deal but they make a fun beer and the rum punch can't be beat!

P.S. who gets 20% discounts on their hotel

rooms wink
I have to agree the pricies are very high esp. when we go to our local Costco buying some of these wines for very good discounted prices w/exception of a few. Wish our friend who is a winemaker could ship us a case - ha! customs would get us - we'll bring in our two and drink the run punch. I do like the Chilean wines.

Fish never hold their breath - Cheers to the Fish!