It has been explained to me (by a man who built and owned power plans world-wide, who owned property on the caye, and who knows the president of the Canadian company that built teh recent hydro dam in Cayo) several practical elements related to expansion of power service here --- I hope I am able to explain it properly --- here is a try:
An essential part of the power supply for AC and northern Belize is the power we buy from the Mexican grid. The Mexican grid also supplies the rapidly growing Costa Maya. As the needs of the Mexican deveopments grow, the available power for Mexico to sell to Belize will diminish.

From a personal and practical standpoint, having run power lines ourselves about 8 or 9 years ago ............ we and a neighbor paid $50,000 US (we wplit the cost 50-50) to run poles and lines 1 mile. None of the neighboring properties felt they needed power ((most were vacant lots) so they did not participate in the cost. As homes were built, they tapped into these power lines without any participation in the cost to bring the lines to area. There was no program by BEL to reimburse us when service was installed to others. I believe that now there is such a plan (for reimbursement) but I believe that the ones wanting the power are still the ones who have to pay for it initially.
My friend said that there must be booster stations along the way (if you are headed to Habaneros and points north). Of course you need some land for these stations too.

So - to expand power service, here is more or less what it takes:
1. Survey a route for the poles, understanding that there are may be swampy spots along the way where it is almost impossible to get a good set for a pole in the ground. (sometimes we have power outages in the north because in rainy season poles near the cut just fall down due to water-saturated earth)
2. Bush-wack the whole route; about 40 feet wide - taking down all trees and other things that could interfere with the poles and lines.
3. buy land for a booster station - build the booster station
4. buy and install those lines

If you are making an installation of 1/2 a mile, it's not so hard to get this together, especially since you don't a need a booster station. The question of making a project that expands service several miles is another thing altogether. Can it be done - probably. Will it be done ---- probably one day.
If it were done today would there be sufficient current for an increased use-load on the power supply------ this is the biggest question of all, and the answer may be no.
I know that conditions may have changed since my electric expert friend explained this to me --- but if I had a substantial parcel of land located several miles north of the existing power lines, I would be looking hard at a combo of generator and alternative energy sources for my daily life.
If I had land far north that I held for investment, I would relax and know that one day in the future, the power will arrive - My guess is that when money, supply and demand reach a critical mass, it will be installed - but probably not before.