My husband and I just returned from a wonderful week in Belize. We stayed at Singing Sands in Maya Beach and had a much different experience than Mountain Larry. Marti and Elden have a beautiful property and were very gracious and welcoming hosts. We are building a house in The Plantation and they were very generous with advice about caring for palms and orchids and the prospect of living on the pennisula. We ate dinner there each evening. The food was good and reasonably priced and the buffet serving encouraged conversation among various groups of guests. We did not miss air conditioning.
We loved seeing the sun rise each morning without having to get out of bed.

We had lunches at Roberts Grove, The Purple Space Monkey, Mangoes, and Evas in San Ignacio. Each place is distinct but nice in it's own way.

Watching our own beach house rise out of the ground is thrilling. Our builders, Nexworld, are doing a great job and have been delightful to work with. We have done this whole buying land and building project very impetuously and sometimes question our sanity, but the project is giving us much pleasure. Each time we return to Belize, we like it better. Seeing the news from Wall Street upon our return, we're especially grateful we put the money that my father had left me into land instead of stocks.

We took a day trip to San Ignacio to visit Leah's Furniture and see pieces that they are building for us. We found them through Nexworld as they are also doing the cabinets and trim work for our home. They do beautiful work with jungle hardwoods. Our furniture in Belize will be nicer than what we have at home.

We went snorkling to Moho and had a good time, but our guide through Nautical was not as enthusiastic about getting in the water and showing things as others we've met. On the other hand, the boat was fast and able to easily handle the waves that were significant that day.

We rented our car through Lewis auto rental. The owner, Kevin Lewis, met us at the airport and drove us back upon our return. He has the best rates that we've found and is very reliable. Our car was in much better shape than one from Avis some other guests had. We will definitely rent from Lewis again. The road to Placencia off Western Highway is not paved and cars certainly take a beating.

As on previous trips, we found the people of Belize to be very kind and welcoming, the wildlife amazing and the countryside beautiful. We long to get back.